Sweet, sweet Torment

I just want to way that Im very happy to have found a copy on a crappy swedish auction site for a sum comparing to 5 dollah. Mind you, I have tried downloading it since its abandonware now, but noone seems to have ISOs of 5 year old games on their servers so I had to pay up.

Now Ive actually never played this game(due to bad marketing I think, Id never heard of it until a year ago) but Im told its grand for those who like elaborate stories & roleplaying? True?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I just want to way that Im very happy to have found a copy on a crappy swedish auction site for a sum comparing to 5 dollah. Mind you, I have tried downloading it since its abandonware now, but noone seems to have ISOs of 5 year old games on their servers so I had to pay up.

Now Ive actually never played this game(due to bad marketing I think, Id never heard of it until a year ago) but Im told its grand for those who like elaborate stories & roleplaying? True?

Zoq: Oh god yes.

Fot: Very much so.

Pik: ...

zoqfotpik-sitting.gif

I paid full price for Torment when it first came out and I would've paid more.

It's the only game I've ever played that comes close to being Literature.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You play the game and make up your own mind. But in my opinion, Torment is one the most overrated computer games ever.

Sure, its not horrible and maybe even above average. But for god sakes it is not *that* good, nor is it a piece of "art" or "literature".

Yes :lol:

I don't think too many people will argue that it was elaborate, and it was fairly good too what was there, most of it. As for the roleplaying, it's about as much roleplaying as you make it yourself. It might be more a game of discovery and self discovery than roleplaying, but an awesome experience none the less. ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You play the game and make up your own mind.  But in my opinion, Torment is one the most overrated computer games ever.

Sure, its not horrible and maybe even above average.  But for god sakes it is not *that* good, nor is it a piece of "art" or "literature".

Well, its better than any of the recent crap that companies had spew forth that they called CRPGs.

Well, I am sure Kaftan will love this game, since he seems to be much more interested in a well-told story than ph4t l00t and 1337 combat. Did you use Tradera.se to find it? I did! :) Of course, i got the old crappy version on 4 CD's, but still. At least I got to play it. Can't remember what I paid for it.. Hmm. More than 40 SEK at least.

Just too bad the game itself was a disappointment for me.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The term literature is a shifty label. After all, the idea that P:ST is literature depends a lot on perspective. Personally, I think it does count as the beginings of true literature in a computer game. Since then, there have been some games that have stretched the envelope. Hell, there's at least one game that I don't doubt was based, in concept, on the P:ST model.

The question is, if Shakespeare had written his works on toilet paper, would they be any less worthy? P:ST might not be Shakespeare. *Shrug* It might not even be literature. ...But it holds a promise that other games seek to fulfill. You might not like P:ST, but you might yet still enjoy the impact it has had on game design.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You play the game and make up your own mind.  But in my opinion, Torment is one the most overrated computer games ever.

Sure, its not horrible and maybe even above average.  But for god sakes it is not *that* good, nor is it a piece of "art" or "literature".

You wouldn't happen to be a chav, would you?

manthing2.jpg

To each their own.

Just out of curiosity... what do you consider to be a "good game"?

Please don't say Grand Theft Auto :(

I don't know if it was overrated, all I know is I didn't get hooked to the story enough to finish it.

But, since Hades thinks it's good, there must be something to it. :(

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

PS:T is a good game, however the combat does get tedious, as do some incredibly long dialogues that don't really add much to the game.

And I do agree that PS:T is looked through rose-coloured glasses far too much (as are all older games from FO to BG). Maybe it's the lack of quality RPGs that cause such subjectivity.

Certanly, by reading through this board quite a few people don't consider a game where your PC is already defined, to be a RPG. I remember many bad slurs thrown Witchers way because you start off with a developer created PC - and yet PS:T does the same thing. Objective indeed. Then there's the bad combat, which a lot of people consider to be the bane of newer games - and yet PS:T has the worst combat system of any IE game...

Kaftan, if you are looking for a good (if not even great) story, then you are in for a treat. If you on the other hand expects good tactical combat look elswhere cause you won't find it in this game. What you will get is a cult classic IMHO that will have you glued to the screen until you've seen everything from the beginning to the ending credits (and that's not counting the possible replays..).

Planescape: Torment is a great game, in fact probably my favorite game of all time....but as demonstrated in this thread and elsewhere, it's an acquired taste.

For me, though, it's the beginning of what games could be: a form of media every bit as legitimate as books or movies.

If you want to get the most out of it, let me give you a recommendation: focus on your mental stats above the physical. If you don't have a pretty high Wisdom or Intelligence, you don't get as many dialogue options....and in this game, your character not knowing what's going on will make for a much less enjoyable gaming experience.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Well, I am sure Kaftan will love this game, since he seems to be much more interested in a well-told story than ph4t l00t and 1337 combat.

You got that right. I consider combat in RPGs a necessary(for the companies sales figures) evil.

Did you use Tradera.se to find it? I did! :) Of course, i got the old crappy version on 4 CD's, but still. At least I got to play it. Can't remember what I paid for it.. Hmm. More than 40 SEK at least.

Tradera jawohl. This version is the 4CD version, whats that all about, did they forget to compress it on the first release? Wont it be exactly the same as the 2CD when patched up to 1.1?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

To each their own.

Please don't say Grand Theft Auto ;)

In my opinion the best CRPG games released between Torment and now are:

Deus Ex

System Shock 2 (RPGish)

Gothic 1 & 2

Wizardry 8

Jagged Alliance 2 (a mix of RPG and turn-based strategy - heavy on the RPG side)

Baldur's Gate 2

The common thread in all these games is that they are extremely fun to play & replay due to the many elements they get right - *of which, having a decent story is just ONE aspect*. Maybe some of these games didn't have a story as wordy or complicated as Torments. But you know what? They didn't need to because they SHOWED us what was great about them through what we could do in the game OTHER than reading long-winded and often pretentious dialogues.

Look, I'm not saying story & background are not important in CRPG games. Just that you should never get hit over the head with them. Imply things, leave optional books to read, place clues for us to interpret on our own. Do not decide to you want to TELL US a long winded story in leiu of putting interesting challenges in the game like exploring, combat, item variety, etc.

Torment is all about background though, it's the background that drives the story forward. Take the extensive background info out of the game, and there's little to go on. Also, with a game set in the Planescape setting, it's very likely a large number of players may not be familiar with it and so need more info provided in order to make it believable.

I loved the game, I never found it over-long or pretentious or tedious. The story and how it played out was extremely immersive, moreso than any other cRPG I've played (and moreso than most p&p games I've played in as well!).

Personally speaking, I find story and background to be amongst the most important aspects of an RPG. Combat and item variety are far down the list of important aspects for me. Exploration is certainly up there of course, as it ties very nicely to background and story.

As far as the 4 disc and 2 disc versions go, the 4 disc was the original release and the 2 disc a later, budget-priced release. The 2 disc just uses more modern compression technology so it fits on fewer discs, and it comes patched. You have to patch the 4 disc version.

newlogo.gif

I don't consider Feus Ex or System Shock 2 as CRPGs. Never played Gothic 1 but Gothic 2 was a horrid game. Never messed with Wizandry or Jagged Alliance, though I am tempted to get the re-release of JA2. Of that list BG2 is the best game their that I have played, but story wise it is still weaker than PS:T but it was a better balance of story and action.

To each their own.

Please don't say Grand Theft Auto ;)

In my opinion the best CRPG games released between Torment and now are:

Deus Ex

System Shock 2 (RPGish)

Gothic 1 & 2

Wizardry 8

Jagged Alliance 2 (a mix of RPG and turn-based strategy - heavy on the RPG side)

Baldur's Gate 2

After play Gothic 1 & 2, all I can say is that I even prefer Sea Dogs before Gothic 1 & 2.

System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are more FPS than RPGs

Never Played Wizardry, and only played JA not JA 2

The best of the list BG2, but Torment wasn't worse than BG 2

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA