Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate vs. Fallout

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Alien_77

Alien_77

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Steam:ED-E
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think it all depends upon when you came to the series'. Personally I only came to Starcraft recently (last year or so) and I don't much like it. The definitive RTS for me remains C&C the original which, on an 8 player LAN connection (at school) rocked despite the tendency to experiment with cheap tactics (chinook with commando anyone?)

Similarly I regard Fallout 1 as being far superior to the sequel for storyline, novelty and gameplay. Fallout 2 is just more of the same without the novelty or cutting edge! If you came upon them both at the time of their initial releases I reckon Fallout1 and BG1 wiped the floor with all comers including their sequels!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same situation with starcraft here, but wouldnt say I dont like it, but I prefer the C&C series.

I'm also with you in terms of Fallout, but I missed the better NPC handling from Fallout 2. I wish Troika could redo (not completely remake) and polish Fallout 1+2 a little (fix broken quests, adding new stuff etc.).

Sirus

Sirus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts
For me, it's Fallout easily. Even though I played them first, I didn't like the BG games at all.

kumquatq3

kumquatq3

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3477 posts

For me, it's Fallout easily. Even though I played them first, I didn't like the BG games at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats because your cursed with exceptional taste my friend. I know your pain. :blink:

actaully, I'm in the middle of replaying BG2 (im in ToB now)

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

atleast im not the only one. although to be honest, i didnt mind bg. i just never got in to it the same way others seem to have and didnt think it was as great as others do.

id take fallout in a nano-second.

2and2is5

2and2is5

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
Fallout by far. The storytelling was better.

Ivan the Terrible

Ivan the Terrible

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts

If only Tina Turner, Master Blaster and the whole Beyond Thunderdome crew had been there think of the possibilities...........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget the Humungus.

Posted Image

People of the NCR: There has been too much violence ...too much pain. None here is without sin. But, I have an honourable compromise. Give me the GECK and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland...Walk away and there will be an end to the horror...

You have one full day to decide!

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
i am now playing FO, FO2 and torment... i'll report my preference then. well, i haven't started FO2 yet. but it's on my drive. i don't like FO so far though i haven't really made it far, yet. torment seems OK, but slow. i expect that at least.

i'm jaded, however, since BG was my first ISO game. i probably won't ever find a game i can compare to it (BG2 notwithstanding).

mark

roguefrog

roguefrog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Steam:roguefrog
  • PSN Portable ID:roguefrog
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Please... Baldur's Gate was my first crpg too, thats NO EXCUSE!!! :angry:

By the time you finish Fallout and Torment you will be born again.

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

i am now playing FO, FO2 and torment... i'll report my preference then.  well, i haven't started FO2 yet.  but it's on my drive.  i don't like FO so far though i haven't really made it far, yet.  torment seems OK, but slow. i expect that at least.

i'm jaded, however, since BG was my first ISO game.  i probably won't ever find a game i can compare to it (BG2 notwithstanding).

mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's a preference of freedom really.

When I play I dont see the game as it is , but rather as a framework to support the imagination. If the game dosnt have room for this it feels restrictive. PST is the best example, you dont need to think in PST just click the option that appeals and the game adapts.

BG on the hand gave the character as I imagined them a lot of freedom.

FO is kind of a balance between the two. Because you are writing for a human character the "humanity" of the game is very obvious. But it still has that open feeling although because it isnt tied to the character it dosnt really make as much sense.

Let me see if I can make that clearer.

In BG you are born with a destiny. Your character can run away from it or embrace it but it's always going to be part of them and it's always going to cause them to be hunted. Thats ok because it makes sense as part of the character.

Now in FO your destiny is to find a water chip to save the vault. Ok lets say my character comes out of the vault , actually enjoys what they see and says screw you vault I dont care what happens to you.

By tying the game to the chip you remove the freedom to do that. But there is no reason to feel any sort of closeness to anyone in the Vault either. Quite the opposite really considering you basically get tossed out.

Zero

Zero

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Steam:Indrik
  • PSN Portable ID:Indrik
  • Xbox Gamertag:Invisible Man
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Baldur's Gate.

The world of Fallout makes me suicidal.

Aponez

Aponez

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 419 posts
Baldur's Gate, at least until I'll can play other Fall Out different of Fall Out: Tactics :cool:

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
I finally fixed my Fallout(only got 32 colors at horrible resolution) so Im digging into it but I realise that now as Im also playing Torment, I need lush forrest and green fields to wander over. It just feels so dark and hopeless and Im playing to rescue my character from misery, not to enjoy the game sort of..

so Baldurs Gate for me

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

Please...  Baldur's Gate was my first crpg too, thats NO EXCUSE!!!  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's a perfect excuse...

lemme see, the artwork is better in BG from what i can see so far. the controls are better in BG from what i can see so far (FO is very choppy and the hex thing is killing me). combat in FO is horrid (sorry TB fans, but it sucks. toee was the first to do it right).

in other words, BG is a more advanced game, and i played it first. it would be like playing HL2 first, then firing up Doom and trying to compare (not that extreme, but the analogy holds). it gets worse when you consider 1) i'm a fantasy fan and 2) i like magic, a direct result of 1).

taks

Sirus

Sirus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts

in other words, BG is a more advanced game

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How so?

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Please...  Baldur's Gate was my first crpg too, thats NO EXCUSE!!!  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's a perfect excuse...

lemme see, the artwork is better in BG from what i can see so far. the controls are better in BG from what i can see so far (FO is very choppy and the hex thing is killing me). combat in FO is horrid (sorry TB fans, but it sucks. toee was the first to do it right).

in other words, BG is a more advanced game, and i played it first. it would be like playing HL2 first, then firing up Doom and trying to compare (not that extreme, but the analogy holds). it gets worse when you consider 1) i'm a fantasy fan and 2) i like magic, a direct result of 1).

taks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being your first is no excuse. Being a fantasy fan is on the other hand. Opinions are opinions, you like BG more, people should respect that.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
Fallout 2 had better art than BG I'm afraid.

Better combat too, seeing as BG's was a hybrid and not a true recreation.

Don't get me wrong, I loved BG... but Fallout 2 is better... and by extension Fallout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users