Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate vs. Fallout

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1325 posts

Fot: The oaf speaks the truth!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...how'd ye like ta become a twosome o' equal parts???... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Vault-Tech

Vault-Tech

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts
<---------------------------my name my pic says it all i did like bg but i lost entrest in it half way to much dungeon crawling

Zoq-Fot-Pik

Zoq-Fot-Pik

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 89 posts

Fot: The oaf speaks the truth!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...how'd ye like ta become a twosome o' equal parts???... :ermm:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zoq: Be my guest. >_<"

Fot: Hey!

Pik: ...

Eclecticist

Eclecticist

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
My ranking:

Baldur's Gate w/ ToSC > Fallout > Fallout 2 > Baldur's Gate 2 w/ ToB

I played Baldur's Gate 2 first, then Baldur's Gate, then Fallout 2, then Fallout. I truly do believe Baldur's Gate thoroughly wins as the best overall package.

Azarkon

Azarkon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I often find that, on a purely personal scale, the game that first got you "hooked" into the realm of a genre tends to be the one that most stands out. It's been proven again and again for me. For instance, I fondly prefer the "nostalgia" of Everquest to the much more quality production in World of Warcraft, the dated atmosphere of "Doom" to the much more effectively rendered Half Life 2, and the geeky charm of graphically challenged roguelikes to modern-day eye-candy hack 'n slashes.

For me, as such, it was the BG's, and not the Fallouts, that most stand out. I never did play the original Fallout when it first came out, and playing it years later, having been jaded by so many other CRPGs and TB games, is just not the same. It lacked the "magic" of first discovering isometric CRPGs, and as such, even though it may be a superior game, I cannot honestly prefer it.

Edit: Course, that I personally prefer fantasy-based settings for CRPGs (having been one of those kids that at a young age read Tolkien rather than Asimov, Jordan & Martin rather than **** & Simmons, did not exactly help the Fallouts, either.

roguefrog

roguefrog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Steam:roguefrog
  • PSN Portable ID:roguefrog
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well technically I'm in the same boat as you. Baldur's Gate was my first cRPG. The initial experience is strong, yes! Only I know Fallout is better. And it is my perfered choice despite not being my first. This is a testament to it's greatness.

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts
after reading this thread i decided to reinstall baldurs gate and attempt another play through. yet again i cant seem to get in to it. fallout, on the other hand, hooked me within the first few minutes of play.

*shrugs*

i guess the baldurs gate series just isnt my "thing".

Alien_77

Alien_77

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Steam:ED-E
  • Kickstarter Backer
To answer the main question:

1. Fallout - It was rather short but I loved pretty much every bit of it.
2. Fallout 2 - Much more of the same and enhanced, but in terms of storyline and atmosphere I like Fallout 1 better.
3. Baldurs Gate 2 - One of the few fantasy RGP I really like.

------------------------------------------------------
With all RGP games I played the last 5 years.

1. Fallout
2. Kotor
3. Fallout 2
4. Planescape: Torment
5. Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
5. Baldurs Gate 2
6. Vampire: Bloodlines
7. Arcanum
8. Icewind Dale 2
9. Temple of Elemental Evil

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
What?! You're from Austria and you don't have the Gothic-games on your list? Blasphemy!

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts
I'll just call it a draw. I enjoyed both very much for different reasons.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What?! You're from Austria and you don't have the Gothic-games on your list? Blasphemy!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I had given the games more of a try. Played for about 10 minutes, couldn't figure out how to attack, so I gave up because I didn't like being killed so much.

Much like Morrowind. Played for about an hour, then the crappy combat, crappy dialogue, complete lack of plot, crappy character graphics, and pretty much just boring gameplay alltogether made me give up.

Anyway, when it comes down to BG vs Fallout, it pretty much comes down to this IMO

PST>FO2>BG2=FO>BG

Alien_77

Alien_77

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, yep I admit I never played it. But iam not really into fantasy so there's sure a lot of good RGP I missed in the genre. Whats so special on Gothic?

Nightblade

Nightblade

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 202 posts
BG

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

Hehe, yep I admit I never played it. But iam not really into fantasy so there's sure a lot of good RGP I missed in the genre. Whats so special on Gothic?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, most people think the immersion is what's special about Gothic. Also, the gameworld is very large, detailed and beautiful. The NPC's have routines (like in Ultima VII) and they eat, sleep, chat and even go to the toilet once in a while. Just as in Fallout, the games (Gothic and Gothic 2) are very open-ended and the entire world is available to you from the beginning. Another thing worth mentioning are the controls. Most people find them rather awkward and they take some getting used to, but if you spend those 15 minutes it takes to learn them you're rewarded with a great game.

Alien_77

Alien_77

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, most people think the immersion is what's special about Gothic. Also, the gameworld is very large, detailed and beautiful. The NPC's have routines (like in Ultima VII) and they eat, sleep, chat and even go to the toilet once in a while. Just as in Fallout, the games (Gothic and Gothic 2) are very open-ended and the entire world is available to you from the beginning. Another thing worth mentioning are the controls. Most people find them rather awkward and they take some getting used to, but if you spend those 15 minutes it takes to learn them you're rewarded with a great game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe I give it a try, Ive seen it have some neat graphics too. I would probably play Gothic 2 or would you recommend try Gothic 1 before?

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

Maybe I give it a try, Ive seen it have some neat graphics too. I would probably play Gothic 2 or would you recommend try Gothic 1 before?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'd recommend playing Gothic before Gothic 2, but it's not a must. Also, everytime you play an older game you have to get used to older graphics, although in Gothic's case it's not so bad since the graphics are still quite acceptable. Gothic 2 is a fun game on its own, but if you play it after getting to know everyone and their stories in Gothic it becomes even more fun! It's almost like meeting old friends again in Gothic 2 :thumbsup:

Alien_77

Alien_77

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, I'd recommend playing Gothic before Gothic 2, but it's not a must. Also, everytime you play an older game you have to get used to older graphics, although in Gothic's case it's not so bad since the graphics are still quite acceptable. Gothic 2 is a fun game on its own, but if you play it after getting to know everyone and their stories in Gothic it becomes even more fun! It's almost like meeting old friends again in Gothic 2 :ermm:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I will remember this next time I went to a computer market. Iam sure its available for cheap price today.....or should I probably give Wasteland a try before? :)

Dranoel

Dranoel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 125 posts
Personally I loved BG for the freedom it gave you whilst the fact it was realtime and pausable was great. Sarevok was also a great enemy as was Jon Irenicus and the voices used were great (David Warner? (I think it was him) sounds just like Charles Dance - Last Action Hero, Alien 3 and loads of old films). Very atmospheric setting the tone, though I hated Irenicus' lab as a dungeon :rrpa: :wub: (Right Royal Pain in the Arse). The expansions were just a bit **** imo.

But Fallout was the only reason I even heard about BG. Fallout 1 was exceptional (I'm sure I've still got a 'copy' somewhere) though I felt the storyline lacked some of the consistency or clarity of BG (incidentally for the quiz at Fallout 2 launch how the hell can u tell that Racoons (or whatever) morphed into Dreadclaws - the references from that damn computer were so vague that any guess to that effect was a leap of faith at best!). Fallout 2 was just disappointing in comparison, compounded by the bugs (I didn't have an internet connection so couldn't patch) and the fact that Arroyo and that town with the Rat King felt boring with little to do. Personally I felt no compunction to aid the villagers after they were abducted by the Enclave!

Conclusion:
Fallout > BG
Fallout Series < BG Series!

Laozi

Laozi

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2905 posts
If I had to judge Baldur's Gate 2 purely on the Shadows of Ahm it would be the hands down winner, but the Throne of Bhaal expansion hurt the story a bit.
Fallout was o.k and Fallout 2 was better, but I guess I'm just a addict when I see worlds I love come alive so Baulder's gate wins. If only Tina Turner, Master Blaster and the whole Beyond Thunderdome crew had been there think of the possibilities...........

Dranoel

Dranoel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 125 posts
I think it all depends upon when you came to the series'. Personally I only came to Starcraft recently (last year or so) and I don't much like it. The definitive RTS for me remains C&C the original which, on an 8 player LAN connection (at school) rocked despite the tendency to experiment with cheap tactics (chinook with commando anyone?)

Similarly I regard Fallout 1 as being far superior to the sequel for storyline, novelty and gameplay. Fallout 2 is just more of the same without the novelty or cutting edge! If you came upon them both at the time of their initial releases I reckon Fallout1 and BG1 wiped the floor with all comers including their sequels!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users