Baldur's Gate vs. Fallout

Maybe I give it a try, Ive seen it have some neat graphics too. I would probably play Gothic 2 or would you recommend try Gothic 1 before?

Yeah, I'd recommend playing Gothic before Gothic 2, but it's not a must. Also, everytime you play an older game you have to get used to older graphics, although in Gothic's case it's not so bad since the graphics are still quite acceptable. Gothic 2 is a fun game on its own, but if you play it after getting to know everyone and their stories in Gothic it becomes even more fun! It's almost like meeting old friends again in Gothic 2 :thumbsup:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, I'd recommend playing Gothic before Gothic 2, but it's not a must. Also, everytime you play an older game you have to get used to older graphics, although in Gothic's case it's not so bad since the graphics are still quite acceptable. Gothic 2 is a fun game on its own, but if you play it after getting to know everyone and their stories in Gothic it becomes even more fun! It's almost like meeting old friends again in Gothic 2 :ermm:

Okay, I will remember this next time I went to a computer market. Iam sure its available for cheap price today.....or should I probably give Wasteland a try before? :)

Personally I loved BG for the freedom it gave you whilst the fact it was realtime and pausable was great. Sarevok was also a great enemy as was Jon Irenicus and the voices used were great (David Warner? (I think it was him) sounds just like Charles Dance - Last Action Hero, Alien 3 and loads of old films). Very atmospheric setting the tone, though I hated Irenicus' lab as a dungeon :rrpa: :wub: (Right Royal Pain in the Arse). The expansions were just a bit **** imo.

But Fallout was the only reason I even heard about BG. Fallout 1 was exceptional (I'm sure I've still got a 'copy' somewhere) though I felt the storyline lacked some of the consistency or clarity of BG (incidentally for the quiz at Fallout 2 launch how the hell can u tell that Racoons (or whatever) morphed into Dreadclaws - the references from that damn computer were so vague that any guess to that effect was a leap of faith at best!). Fallout 2 was just disappointing in comparison, compounded by the bugs (I didn't have an internet connection so couldn't patch) and the fact that Arroyo and that town with the Rat King felt boring with little to do. Personally I felt no compunction to aid the villagers after they were abducted by the Enclave!

Conclusion:

Fallout > BG

Fallout Series < BG Series!

If I had to judge Baldur's Gate 2 purely on the Shadows of Ahm it would be the hands down winner, but the Throne of Bhaal expansion hurt the story a bit.

Fallout was o.k and Fallout 2 was better, but I guess I'm just a addict when I see worlds I love come alive so Baulder's gate wins. If only Tina Turner, Master Blaster and the whole Beyond Thunderdome crew had been there think of the possibilities...........

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think it all depends upon when you came to the series'. Personally I only came to Starcraft recently (last year or so) and I don't much like it. The definitive RTS for me remains C&C the original which, on an 8 player LAN connection (at school) rocked despite the tendency to experiment with cheap tactics (chinook with commando anyone?)

Similarly I regard Fallout 1 as being far superior to the sequel for storyline, novelty and gameplay. Fallout 2 is just more of the same without the novelty or cutting edge! If you came upon them both at the time of their initial releases I reckon Fallout1 and BG1 wiped the floor with all comers including their sequels!

I think it all depends upon when you came to the series'. Personally I only came to Starcraft recently (last year or so) and I don't much like it. The definitive RTS for me remains C&C the original which, on an 8 player LAN connection (at school) rocked despite the tendency to experiment with cheap tactics (chinook with commando anyone?)

Similarly I regard Fallout 1 as being far superior to the sequel for storyline, novelty and gameplay. Fallout 2 is just more of the same without the novelty or cutting edge! If you came upon them both at the time of their initial releases I reckon Fallout1 and BG1 wiped the floor with all comers including their sequels!

Same situation with starcraft here, but wouldnt say I dont like it, but I prefer the C&C series.

I'm also with you in terms of Fallout, but I missed the better NPC handling from Fallout 2. I wish Troika could redo (not completely remake) and polish Fallout 1+2 a little (fix broken quests, adding new stuff etc.).

For me, it's Fallout easily. Even though I played them first, I didn't like the BG games at all.

atleast im not the only one. although to be honest, i didnt mind bg. i just never got in to it the same way others seem to have and didnt think it was as great as others do.

id take fallout in a nano-second.

If only Tina Turner, Master Blaster and the whole Beyond Thunderdome crew had been there think of the possibilities...........

Don't forget the Humungus.

humungus_for_governor.jpg

People of the NCR: There has been too much violence ...too much pain. None here is without sin. But, I have an honourable compromise. Give me the GECK and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland...Walk away and there will be an end to the horror...

You have one full day to decide!

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

i am now playing FO, FO2 and torment... i'll report my preference then. well, i haven't started FO2 yet. but it's on my drive. i don't like FO so far though i haven't really made it far, yet. torment seems OK, but slow. i expect that at least.

i'm jaded, however, since BG was my first ISO game. i probably won't ever find a game i can compare to it (BG2 notwithstanding).

mark

comrade taks... just because.

i am now playing FO, FO2 and torment... i'll report my preference then.  well, i haven't started FO2 yet.  but it's on my drive.  i don't like FO so far though i haven't really made it far, yet.  torment seems OK, but slow. i expect that at least.

i'm jaded, however, since BG was my first ISO game.  i probably won't ever find a game i can compare to it (BG2 notwithstanding).

mark

I think it's a preference of freedom really.

When I play I dont see the game as it is , but rather as a framework to support the imagination. If the game dosnt have room for this it feels restrictive. PST is the best example, you dont need to think in PST just click the option that appeals and the game adapts.

BG on the hand gave the character as I imagined them a lot of freedom.

FO is kind of a balance between the two. Because you are writing for a human character the "humanity" of the game is very obvious. But it still has that open feeling although because it isnt tied to the character it dosnt really make as much sense.

Let me see if I can make that clearer.

In BG you are born with a destiny. Your character can run away from it or embrace it but it's always going to be part of them and it's always going to cause them to be hunted. Thats ok because it makes sense as part of the character.

Now in FO your destiny is to find a water chip to save the vault. Ok lets say my character comes out of the vault , actually enjoys what they see and says screw you vault I dont care what happens to you.

By tying the game to the chip you remove the freedom to do that. But there is no reason to feel any sort of closeness to anyone in the Vault either. Quite the opposite really considering you basically get tossed out.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I finally fixed my Fallout(only got 32 colors at horrible resolution) so Im digging into it but I realise that now as Im also playing Torment, I need lush forrest and green fields to wander over. It just feels so dark and hopeless and Im playing to rescue my character from misery, not to enjoy the game sort of..

so Baldurs Gate for me

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Please...  Baldur's Gate was my first crpg too, thats NO EXCUSE!!!  :angry:

By the time you finish Fallout and Torment you will be born again.

it's a perfect excuse...

lemme see, the artwork is better in BG from what i can see so far. the controls are better in BG from what i can see so far (FO is very choppy and the hex thing is killing me). combat in FO is horrid (sorry TB fans, but it sucks. toee was the first to do it right).

in other words, BG is a more advanced game, and i played it first. it would be like playing HL2 first, then firing up Doom and trying to compare (not that extreme, but the analogy holds). it gets worse when you consider 1) i'm a fantasy fan and 2) i like magic, a direct result of 1).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Please...  Baldur's Gate was my first crpg too, thats NO EXCUSE!!!  :angry:

By the time you finish Fallout and Torment you will be born again.

it's a perfect excuse...

lemme see, the artwork is better in BG from what i can see so far. the controls are better in BG from what i can see so far (FO is very choppy and the hex thing is killing me). combat in FO is horrid (sorry TB fans, but it sucks. toee was the first to do it right).

in other words, BG is a more advanced game, and i played it first. it would be like playing HL2 first, then firing up Doom and trying to compare (not that extreme, but the analogy holds). it gets worse when you consider 1) i'm a fantasy fan and 2) i like magic, a direct result of 1).

taks

Being your first is no excuse. Being a fantasy fan is on the other hand. Opinions are opinions, you like BG more, people should respect that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Fallout 2 had better art than BG I'm afraid.

Better combat too, seeing as BG's was a hybrid and not a true recreation.

Don't get me wrong, I loved BG... but Fallout 2 is better... and by extension Fallout.