Baldur's Gate vs. Fallout

"That said, even what immaturity, triteness and poor writing that was at times present in FO2 comes nowhere near the same degrees present in the BG series, particularly in BG2."

Oh please. Both of youa re wrong. Neither BG or FO series had that much immaturity. And, certainly, they weren't poorly written.

Tsk, tsk.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If you add Torment. Then it goes like this. 

Baldur's Gate 2 > Baldur's Gate > Fallout 2 > Fallout > Work> Taxes > Dentist > Torment

I say we stone him. :thumbsup:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

In no way do I recall FO1 suffering from this, but certainly FO2 did. That said, even what immaturity, triteness and poor writing that was at times present in FO2 comes nowhere near the same degrees present in the BG series, particularly in BG2.

Haha, well, agreed. I expected an amount of that in Baldur's Gate, though. It was such a classic D&D ubergeek fest. And it's been a long time since I've played the original Fallout. I'm probably thinking of the sequel. I just recall that there were some head-scratching moments in the original...for me, at least.

...the Fallout Series ain't me thing, so I canna say much 'bout 'em... :">

...BG was incredible...SoA was waaay too disappointin' in soo many ways...ToB sucked donkey... :-"

...Planescape: Torment wins this discussion hands down... :p:thumbsup::p

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Fot: The oaf speaks the truth!

...how'd ye like ta become a twosome o' equal parts???... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I often find that, on a purely personal scale, the game that first got you "hooked" into the realm of a genre tends to be the one that most stands out. It's been proven again and again for me. For instance, I fondly prefer the "nostalgia" of Everquest to the much more quality production in World of Warcraft, the dated atmosphere of "Doom" to the much more effectively rendered Half Life 2, and the geeky charm of graphically challenged roguelikes to modern-day eye-candy hack 'n slashes.

For me, as such, it was the BG's, and not the Fallouts, that most stand out. I never did play the original Fallout when it first came out, and playing it years later, having been jaded by so many other CRPGs and TB games, is just not the same. It lacked the "magic" of first discovering isometric CRPGs, and as such, even though it may be a superior game, I cannot honestly prefer it.

Edit: Course, that I personally prefer fantasy-based settings for CRPGs (having been one of those kids that at a young age read Tolkien rather than Asimov, Jordan & Martin rather than **** & Simmons, did not exactly help the Fallouts, either.

There are doors

Well technically I'm in the same boat as you. Baldur's Gate was my first cRPG. The initial experience is strong, yes! Only I know Fallout is better. And it is my perfered choice despite not being my first. This is a testament to it's greatness.

To answer the main question:

1. Fallout - It was rather short but I loved pretty much every bit of it.

2. Fallout 2 - Much more of the same and enhanced, but in terms of storyline and atmosphere I like Fallout 1 better.

3. Baldurs Gate 2 - One of the few fantasy RGP I really like.

------------------------------------------------------

With all RGP games I played the last 5 years.

1. Fallout

2. Kotor

3. Fallout 2

4. Planescape: Torment

5. Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

5. Baldurs Gate 2

6. Vampire: Bloodlines

7. Arcanum

8. Icewind Dale 2

9. Temple of Elemental Evil

What?! You're from Austria and you don't have the Gothic-games on your list? Blasphemy!

I wish I had given the games more of a try. Played for about 10 minutes, couldn't figure out how to attack, so I gave up because I didn't like being killed so much.

Much like Morrowind. Played for about an hour, then the crappy combat, crappy dialogue, complete lack of plot, crappy character graphics, and pretty much just boring gameplay alltogether made me give up.

Anyway, when it comes down to BG vs Fallout, it pretty much comes down to this IMO

PST>FO2>BG2=FO>BG

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hehe, yep I admit I never played it. But iam not really into fantasy so there's sure a lot of good RGP I missed in the genre. Whats so special on Gothic?

Well, most people think the immersion is what's special about Gothic. Also, the gameworld is very large, detailed and beautiful. The NPC's have routines (like in Ultima VII) and they eat, sleep, chat and even go to the toilet once in a while. Just as in Fallout, the games (Gothic and Gothic 2) are very open-ended and the entire world is available to you from the beginning. Another thing worth mentioning are the controls. Most people find them rather awkward and they take some getting used to, but if you spend those 15 minutes it takes to learn them you're rewarded with a great game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, most people think the immersion is what's special about Gothic. Also, the gameworld is very large, detailed and beautiful. The NPC's have routines (like in Ultima VII) and they eat, sleep, chat and even go to the toilet once in a while. Just as in Fallout, the games (Gothic and Gothic 2) are very open-ended and the entire world is available to you from the beginning. Another thing worth mentioning are the controls. Most people find them rather awkward and they take some getting used to, but if you spend those 15 minutes it takes to learn them you're rewarded with a great game.

Maybe I give it a try, Ive seen it have some neat graphics too. I would probably play Gothic 2 or would you recommend try Gothic 1 before?