Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mercenaries by Lucasarts

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

IL-2 Forgotten Battles

The newest one in the IL-2 line is Pacific Fighter, fyi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read a review on that, best thing is, you can ad it on to the previous titles, so you have ALL the planes, and there should be patches with more planes, and fixes for the historical inaccuracies.

I'll get it if it's good (renting first), but I don't have high hopes really. I was very dissapointed in Pandemics last batch of games, such as Battlefront. If the gameplay seems like it will stay solid and fun, and not become stale in a month, then I'll pick it up. Pandemics games just don't have the replayability as other ones do. They're a blast at first, but after a few weeks they're just boring and not fun at all. Maybe this game will be different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is odd, they've been running commercials for this game on some of the channels my little brother's been watching, it looked like one of those puerile shooters you'd forget after one or two playthroughs...so Gamespy's saying it's actually GOOD? Then again...it IS Gamespy... :(

Erik Novales

Erik Novales

Programmer

• Members
  • 96 posts

Hey, you worked on that game :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I never said I wasn't biased. :D

sawyl

sawyl

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts
augh, Pandemic. WHY did Battlefront get good reviews? That was an awful game. Pretty, but awful. The controls were sticky(!), the classes weren't balanced, a complete lack of replayability...

I forgot! When you apply the word "journalism" to "gaming," you magically lose the objectivity (supposedly) inherent to the profession. Oh well.

maybe it's more fun on live. I wouldn't know.

Aaron Contreras

Aaron Contreras

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 131 posts

So Who's gonna buy? Wish it was out for PC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hell yes I'm going to buy Mercenaries! I cannot wait to enter the PLAYGROUND OF DESTRUCTION!

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

I forgot! When you apply the word "journalism" to "gaming," you magically lose the objectivity (supposedly) inherent to the profession. Oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do realize that the exact same things happen in every part of journalism, right? Or do you really believe the same news is shown the same way in Iraq as in the US?

Anyhow, most every reviewer (in games or otherwise) tries to be as subjective as possible, although it's impossible to be 100% "pure". Of course, one might wonder about those who gets to review unfinished code before everyone else and then just happen to give the beta 9/10.. Five times in a row (with different beta's of course).

interrupt

interrupt

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
The LucasArts marketing campaign for Mercenaries was designed to start selling the game post "hugest quarter ever for video games." It's a brand new intellectual property and as such likely would have got lost in the Halo 2/Half Life 2/GTA3/KOTOR 2/ETC barrage pre Xmas. That's why many people are like "What is this? Why have I never heard of this?"

I hope some of you pick it up. It was a blast to make and I'm sure at least some of you will have a good time with it.

- Scott Warner

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

The LucasArts marketing campaign for Mercenaries was designed to start selling the game post  "hugest quarter ever for video games."  It's a brand new intellectual property and as such likely would have got lost in the Halo 2/Half Life 2/GTA3/KOTOR 2/ETC barrage pre Xmas.  That's why many people are like "What is this?  Why have I never heard of this?"

I hope some of you pick it up.  It was a blast to make and I'm sure at least some of you will have a good time with it. 

- Scott Warner

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assume you're a Dev (or a doppel). I never said it was no good, I said I'd heard of it via the commercial, but it really didn't make it look too good. For the record:

Puerile=Contract J.A.C.K.

Memorable=No One Lives Forever (both)

sawyl

sawyl

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts

You do realize that the exact same things happen in every part of journalism, right? Or do you really believe the same news is shown the same way in Iraq as in the US?

oh yeah, don't worry. I'm just as skeptical as you. (Note the "supposedly.") You learn to be cynical when your family's in the newspaper business... :lol:

an interesting Iraq viewpoint: Iraq Dispatches
or, for the more D.C. centric: Joshua Micah Marshall

cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users