Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Most Disapointing Game Ever

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

Ivan the Terrible

Ivan the Terrible

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts

Also pretty dissapointed I was with Lucas Arts Afterlife. http://www.mobygames...heet/gameId,202

Wow...

I had completely forgotten that game.

Arkan

Arkan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts

Bethesda is going to have to do something fantastic if they remove turn based to keep the core fans interested... and I doubt that'll even work.

And what makes you think they'll want to keep the core fans interested? I mean, we have proven to be a pain in the ass and very hard to satisfy. If I was a game company CEO I would aim the game to the large 'casual gamer' masses first, then to the 'core' gamers. All that is in the realm of speculation, anyway.

What I do know though, is that they're not going to sacrifice sales in order to keep the game 'true' to what the 'core' fans think Fallout is (or should be). And I can't help but agree with that...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sad but true.

Laozi

Laozi

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2905 posts
NWN, anything with Bruce Lee in the title, most baseball games

seeing a baboon killing a flamingo

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Bethesda is going to have to do something fantastic if they remove turn based to keep the core fans interested... and I doubt that'll even work.

And what makes you think they'll want to keep the core fans interested? I mean, we have proven to be a pain in the ass and very hard to satisfy. If I was a game company CEO I would aim the game to the large 'casual gamer' masses first, then to the 'core' gamers. All that is in the realm of speculation, anyway.

What I do know though, is that they're not going to sacrifice sales in order to keep the game 'true' to what the 'core' fans think Fallout is (or should be). And I can't help but agree with that...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just feel that if core gameplay features are removed, then its not really a sequel, its a spinoff. Much how MOO3 isn't really the sequel to MOO2 because they changed the gameplay to the point that it isn't recognizable as a MOO game.

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

I just feel that if core gameplay features are removed, then its not really a sequel, its a spinoff. Much how MOO3 isn't really the sequel to MOO2 because they changed the gameplay to the point that it isn't recognizable as a MOO game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RE 4 'nough said :)

FOT was easy in real time. You just had to play it differently.

Most disapointing. NwN. After BGII that was a let down of epic proportion.

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

NWN had any form of challenge?

Well.... I guess the dry story was pretty challenging to stay awake through. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm thanks for that I just woke everyone up laughing.

I did actually fall asleep in that prison place. Thats the only time a game has ever made me nod off like that.

Ditto on the Dragons absolute cakewalk unless you purposely make things harder by not using available items.

Arkan

Arkan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts

Well.... I guess the dry story was pretty challenging to stay awake through. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did actually fall asleep in that prison place. Thats the only time a game has ever made me nod off like that.

Ditto on the Dragons absolute cakewalk unless you purposely make things harder by not using available items.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok...I'm waiting for Voly to chime in....any second now...

Alien_77

Alien_77

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Steam:ED-E
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wow...

I had completely forgotten that game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well its nearly ten years ago, a time I thought Lucas Arts can do no wrong. :p Better left forgotten, or should I try it again now?

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

Well.... I guess the dry story was pretty challenging to stay awake through. :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We aim to please :lol:

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

Spoken like a true core Fallout fan. :D

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
All I need in a Fallout game is a feeling of desperation, a post apocalyptic world, real life weapons and that gritty, hopeless atmosphere. If it's non linear, has a great story and interesting NPC's, all the better.

I don't care which ruleset is used or which view is used to depict the game or even if the combat is realtime or turnbased.

Loof

Loof

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Agrees with mkreku...

kumquatq3

kumquatq3

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3477 posts

I don't care which ruleset is used or which view is used to depict the game or even if the combat is realtime or turnbased.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do.

First, removing SPECIAL from FO would just be......bad

As for TB, could you picture Zelda going TB or Starcraft going TB? Thats the kind of change that we're talking about in my eyes.

As for the perspective......it wouldn't be the worst thing if it went away from iso, but I'd prefer it didn't. I prefer that perspective for RPGs. If it went to FP or over the shoulder, it would be nice if the camera could zoom out for an iso perspective for combat.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do.

As for TB, could you picture Zelda going TB or Starcraft going TB? Thats the kind of change that we're talking about in my eyes.

As for the perspective......it wouldn't be the worst thing if it went away from iso, but I'd prefer it didn't. I prefer that perspective for RPGs. If it went to FP or over the shoulder, it would be nice if the camera could zoom out for an iso perspective for combat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the camera, as long as its 3rd person I'll be happy. Preferrably if they're not going with the zoomed out top down isometric, go with a NWN style movable camera. Preferrably without the limits the NWN camera had.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

I agree.

I don't know about Zelda because I've never played it. However Starcraft going TB doesn't make much sense because it's a RTS (as in Real Time). It's as if you propose they did Half-Life 3 turn based. However Fallout is a CRPG and there are examples of CRPGs with a RT based combat. So as long as they manage to make combat fun an balanced, anything goes for me.

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts
As someone who dosnt worship at the holy alter of Fallout I dont think it would make a huge ammount of difference.

But then again I've never been one to be tied to rules and playing the FF series where the rules change from one to the other just goes to show that a franchise dosnt need to keep the same rules to keep the feel of the franchise.

Personally I prefered FOT's more dynamic real time (although I really missed a pause function I got over it) to FO's boardgame like combat.

As long as the flavour of the post apocalyptic setting is captured , what rules drive the game (as long as they work and are not clunky) are not important to me.

Phosphor

Phosphor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2214 posts
In favour of a newer thread on much the same topic, this one is now locked.

New thread:
http://forums.obsidi...showtopic=28922

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users