Most Disapointing Game Ever

Darth Reven

Age of Mythology - I've always been a strategy gamer, but never really did like this one. The campaign was...decent, but I never enjoyed the random map play. But it fell way below my expectations.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

We were warning them that real time SPECIAL was garbage, they wouldn't listen. "Don't make it action based, people will hate it" they didn't listen.

Huh? Why would real time SPECIAL be garbage? FOT was exactly that and it was a great tactical action game IMO. The issues I have with that game were more with the interface than the implementation of SPECIAL in an action game.

I couldn't play FOT in real-time. I played it in turn based, and until you, everyone else I had talked to hated the real-time in FOT.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

We were warning them that real time SPECIAL was garbage, they wouldn't listen. "Don't make it action based, people will hate it" they didn't listen.

Huh? Why would real time SPECIAL be garbage? FOT was exactly that and it was a great tactical action game IMO. The issues I have with that game were more with the interface than the implementation of SPECIAL in an action game.

I couldn't play FOT in real-time. I played it in turn based, and until you, everyone else I had talked to hated the real-time in FOT.

Yep, I know everyone hates FOT's CTB mode. However I have yet to hear a convincing reason other than 'it's not supposed to be that way!'. :(

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Incidently Oerwinde, as a fellow Transformers fanatic, what did you make of that Transformers game released on the PS2 last year?

Apparently, it was an OK action game, but what we really need is a Transformers cRPG. :cool:

Hehe, I bought it before hearing anything about it, simply because it was Transformers. It was ok, the controls were absolute garbage, and because of that I haven't made it past the 2nd level though.

I think a TF RPG would be kinda hard to pull off, but I'd buy it anyway :)

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yep, I know everyone hates FOT's CTB mode. However I have yet to hear a convincing reason other than 'it's not supposed to be that way!'. :)

I just plain couldn't play it. My characters were all dead before I could give them orders. I didn't really want to play it real-time anyway. Fallout is Turn-based, and should stay that way.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Incidently Oerwinde, as a fellow Transformers fanatic, what did you make of that Transformers game released on the PS2 last year?

Apparently, it was an OK action game, but what we really need is a Transformers cRPG. :cool:

Hehe, I bought it before hearing anything about it, simply because it was Transformers. It was ok, the controls were absolute garbage, and because of that I haven't made it past the 2nd level though.

I think a TF RPG would be kinda hard to pull off, but I'd buy it anyway :)

There's a PnP Transformers RPG. (w00t)

manthing2.jpg

I found them easy enough... Good game imo.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I just plain couldn't play it. My characters were all dead before I could give them orders.

I agree, the squad control interface was rather clumsy. That's what happens when you try to adapt a single char, TB combat GUI for real-time squad combat. But that has nothing to do with SPECIAL not being compatible with real-time.

Fallout is Turn-based, and should stay that way.

I must have missed the stone in which that was written. That's exactly the same (and only, actually) reason for bashing FOT I've heard so far. Not good enough for me. :)

And um, if that's how you think, perhaps you'll be disappointed by FO3. I don't think they're going to make it TB.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Back in 1990 my parents let me choose a computergame for christmas, I choose "Coporation" for my Amiga 500 cause it got an awesome review in the game magazine I read those days. Boy was I disappointed.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,1487

Also Mad TV 2, I really tried to like it...but I couldnt.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,3819

Also pretty dissapointed I was with Lucas Arts Afterlife. http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,202

and even if was not that bad, Monkey Island 4. http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,3/gameId,2606

I just plain couldn't play it. My characters were all dead before I could give them orders.

I agree, the squad control interface was rather clumsy. That's what happens when you try to adapt a single char, TB combat GUI for real-time squad combat. But that has nothing to do with SPECIAL not being compatible with real-time.

Fallout is Turn-based, and should stay that way.

I must have missed the stone in which that was written. That's exactly the same (and only, actually) reason for bashing FOT I've heard so far. Not good enough for me. :-

And um, if that's how you think, perhaps you'll be disappointed by FO3. I don't think they're going to make it TB.

The whole FO=TB isn't a reason why SPECIAL can't be adapted to real-time, its just a reason why I didn't really bother with FOT's real time after finding out it was crap. So far there have been what? 3 games that adapted SPECIAL to real time? Or did FOBOS not adapt it? Either way, every time they've adapted it to real time, it didn't work. That doesn't mean it can't be, it just means that no one has yet been able to successfully.

And FO3 doesn't have to be fully turn based, it just has to be balanced for turn based. If they add in a real-time option for people who are like "OMG TURN BASED = TEH SLOW!" I won't mind, as long as theres a TB option.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Either way, every time they've adapted it to real time, it didn't work. That doesn't mean it can't be, it just means that no one has yet been able to successfully.

That's your opinion. Opinions, however, aren't enough to make an objective truth. You say that FOT failed to be a good SPECIAL-based real-time game, yet I disagree.

And FO3 doesn't have to be fully turn based, it just has to be balanced for turn based. If they add in a real-time option for people who are like "OMG TURN BASED = TEH SLOW!" I won't mind, as long as theres a TB option.

Um, I hope you're right, but honestly, I think that's wishful thinking. If it was Troika or Obsidian developing it, perhaps the chances of the game featuring a TB mode would be greater. But with Bethesda behind the game, I wouldn't count on it. After all, they have the license now and can do whatever they want with it.

Bethesda is going to have to do something fantastic if they remove turn based to keep the core fans interested... and I doubt that'll even work.

And what makes you think they'll want to keep the core fans interested? I mean, we have proven to be a pain in the ass and very hard to satisfy. If I was a game company CEO I would aim the game to the large 'casual gamer' masses first, then to the 'core' gamers. All that is in the realm of speculation, anyway.

What I do know though, is that they're not going to sacrifice sales in order to keep the game 'true' to what the 'core' fans think Fallout is (or should be). And I can't help but agree with that...

Also pretty dissapointed I was with Lucas Arts Afterlife. http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,202

Wow...

I had completely forgotten that game.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Bethesda is going to have to do something fantastic if they remove turn based to keep the core fans interested... and I doubt that'll even work.

And what makes you think they'll want to keep the core fans interested? I mean, we have proven to be a pain in the ass and very hard to satisfy. If I was a game company CEO I would aim the game to the large 'casual gamer' masses first, then to the 'core' gamers. All that is in the realm of speculation, anyway.

What I do know though, is that they're not going to sacrifice sales in order to keep the game 'true' to what the 'core' fans think Fallout is (or should be). And I can't help but agree with that...

Sad but true.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

NWN, anything with Bruce Lee in the title, most baseball games

seeing a baboon killing a flamingo

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I just feel that if core gameplay features are removed, then its not really a sequel, its a spinoff. Much how MOO3 isn't really the sequel to MOO2 because they changed the gameplay to the point that it isn't recognizable as a MOO game.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just feel that if core gameplay features are removed, then its not really a sequel, its a spinoff. Much how MOO3 isn't really the sequel to MOO2 because they changed the gameplay to the point that it isn't recognizable as a MOO game.

RE 4 'nough said :)

FOT was easy in real time. You just had to play it differently.

Most disapointing. NwN. After BGII that was a let down of epic proportion.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

NWN had any form of challenge?

Well.... I guess the dry story was pretty challenging to stay awake through. :)

Umm thanks for that I just woke everyone up laughing.

I did actually fall asleep in that prison place. Thats the only time a game has ever made me nod off like that.

Ditto on the Dragons absolute cakewalk unless you purposely make things harder by not using available items.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well.... I guess the dry story was pretty challenging to stay awake through. :)

I did actually fall asleep in that prison place. Thats the only time a game has ever made me nod off like that.

Ditto on the Dragons absolute cakewalk unless you purposely make things harder by not using available items.

Ok...I'm waiting for Voly to chime in....any second now...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well.... I guess the dry story was pretty challenging to stay awake through. :wacko:

We aim to please :lol:

Spoken like a true core Fallout fan. :D