Should Revan Have An "Offical" Gender?

Why not? The character is in a fantisy. Meaning that it could be anything thay want it to be. In the case of Kotor you can make you char into any gender thay you want.

In history and reallity women have been oppresed by a phisical stronger person. Dose that make them weaker? No! Thay have begun to thrive in an enviroment that phisical power means less and less. Watch and see what happens in the future we see more and mor women in the places that usually are male places.

From what I hear, Revan had a really good singing voice as a boy. Well, you know what that means -- snip snip! Castrati time! It doesn't pay to have a good singing voice!

I know Obsidian and LucasArts have tried to repress this information, but it's true: Revan is an aging castrati.

Female Revan? Never seen a military tactician/supreme commander/ultimate warrior/ expert general that was female.

Your grasp of history, society, and oppression is flawless! I am awed by your awesomeness and bow to your masculine greatness. I've seen the light and will now admit that Revan is male, but all curvy with boobs.

No. Nothing from Kotor1 or part 2 should ever be cannon.

It would cheapen the series so much if it was.

They already are canon. At least, as much so as any novel, other video game or comic.

They both were the minute "Star Wars" was put in the title.

LA stated that the official gender/alignment for both Revan and Exile is light side male.

If true (which I doubt) that's their opinion, nothing more. In the game, Revans gender and alignment are variable. Until or unless KOTOR 3 establishes these things, there is no "official" gender or alignment for Revan or the Exile.

I mean in history and in real life, where are they? My point is that would we buy that kind of character as being female?

Just because you're ignorant of them (admittedly, so am I) doesn't mean that such women didn't exist. Even if there were none (which I doubt), why wouldn't we buy it? It's an infinitely smaller leap than hyperspace, planets with no vegetation but with a biosphere, and dare I mention the Force?

To answer the main question of this thread (if you haven't guessed my position by now): No. Revans gender and alignment should remain up to the individual player to decide.

I'm not going to touch on the sexist comments by others in the last page. I read a thing on the LA website, somewhere, that Revan was canonically LS Male.

The default in Kotor II is LS Male, but that is aside. They just had to start somewhere for that one.

I personally think Revan is Male, and the Exile (in my mind) is too. That's just because the males in both get super bonuses and all the good extra powers. I personally wouldn't mind if, in Kotor III, female PC's get an uber bonus that the males can't get, but that hasn't really been done yet...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

I mean in history and in real life, where are they? My point is that would we buy that kind of character as being female?

If you are too ignorant or just too lazy to do a search before making such statements, doesn't mean they never existed you know. Here's a nice link for starters, you might wanna check the Military and Warfare part, as well as Politics and Government.

http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/subject/field.html

If you can focus long enough on reading the text, oh superior one. :p"

There are plenty of similar sites on the net.

Edit: Oh and on topic, I believe Revan's and Exile's gender should be left up to the player to decide. That's why you can choose it at the first place. Lucasarts is a publisher, not the creator of the game, so their statement is just their opinion.

Personally I see both the Exile and Revan as female, but I agree that those who played as males are entitled to their preferences no less than I am.

Finally, a Jedi-like entity. Devilcat managed to effectively stay neutral...

I tryed, too, but it didn't work... :p

(Hey, I can find no other thread that may interest me right now)... :ph34r:

:)

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

The market for Kotor and Kotor2 is mosltly male, in fact the video game and sci-fi market is mostly male, and that's the basis for most of the opinions here. Because of that, I have no doubt the protagonist in Kotor3 will be thought of as male as all the major characters in Star Wars are male, it makes sense in that way. If the market were to turn right around, then we'd agree the pc would be female, it's that simple.

Just look around you, the only games who have a female protagonist are Tomb Raider, Drakan, and a few others, and those protagonists are notorious for excellent boobs and curves under scanty, tight clothing, therefore we know who they're made for. There will have to be a larger female consumer population for these products before they start doing anything about it.

With that in mind, debate all you want, but perceptions don't change that easy.

The market for Kotor and Kotor2 is mosltly male, in fact the video game and sci-fi market is mostly male, and that's the basis for most of the opinions here.

Now, there's a common baseless supposition given without any support in fact. Have you met everyone who's played KOTOR and seen all their respective parts for proof? Of course not. You're assuming, as far too many people love to do.

People think the market is male, particularly because women who've been burned by the tirades of immature idiots often go genderless on forums. That doesn't mean it is male, either entirely or even just predominantly.

All most of us want is to hang out with people who love the games we do, and instead, we get crap for having breasts--either insults or crude comments which are all too often not meant in fun. And if not that, we get treated like second-class citizens. So when you find a community that's mostly mature and level-headed, that understands the whole point of an RPG, even then you may be hesitant to speak your gender--or, if you're like me, you may not even realize people have mistaken you for a male. (I've had people call me Wayne. *shudder* What is up with that?)

Just look around you, the only games who have a female protagonist are Tomb Raider, Drakan, and a few others, and those protagonists are notorious for excellent boobs and curves under scanty, tight clothing, therefore we know who they're made for.  There will have to be a larger female consumer population for these products before they start doing anything about it.

...and Garrett and Sam Fisher both have severely nice asses and sexy voices. Why, if not for the benefit of the female audience? And why do so damned many RPGs give you the option to play as a female if so few women play? Actually, it's because the genre draws both.

If anything, the point you are making is that women who play games need to be more vocal in order to break up the stereotype. Which I agree with. At this point, saying I'm a gamer often draws blank stares of pity or horror from either gender, or worse, the classic frozen smile of placation (this because they are not geeks). But I keep saying it, because every once in a while I'll see somebody's eyes light up when I mention something, and it's worth it to me. I don't care if the world views me as lame or weird, I'm going to admit it, and I only hope I can convince more girls to do the same.

By the way, check out Beyond Good and Evil's non-Barbie-fied heroine, note how many people LOVED that game, and get an idea of how it can--and should--be done.

The default-to-male thing is a relic of a different age; it's not indicative that the audience is 70-90% male. It's just, it has to be something, and it began as that, so most often it will be that.

Female Revan? Never seen a military tactician/supreme commander/ultimate warrior/ expert general that was female.

Never seen a Jedi, either. How comes we can suspend our disbelief about existence of nearly magical entity, but this entity not being a male is too much for one's imagination? :shifty:"

And hey, since we are talking Star Wars... here's your female Supreme Commander. She is as 'real' as Revan, if not more.

Now, there's a common baseless supposition given without any support in fact. Have you met everyone who's played KOTOR and seen all their respective parts for proof? Of course not. You're assuming, as far too many people love to do.

People think the market is male, particularly because women who've been burned by the tirades of immature idiots often go genderless on forums. That doesn't mean it is male, either entirely or even just predominantly.

It may be baseless, but I think it's a rather safe conclusion to draw. In any case, it's no more baseless and a lot less speculative than you believing he's wrong and that the female gaming population makes up a large part of the KOTOR market. Again, like you asked (or atleast implied towards him), where's your proof?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Guess you never spent time in the military. I have seen plenty of Female Generals and Colonels in the Marine Corps. And in the off chance you have done time in the Military, you must have never gotten around.

Male protangists are basically the top thing right about now, however there are a few games that have female protangaists.

Revan sounds like a male name. Thats just me though.

. . .

All most of us want is to hang out with people who love the games we do, and instead, we get crap for having breasts--either insults or crude comments which are all too often not meant in fun. And if not that, we get treated like second-class citizens. . . .

Well said Wayne! (sorry...very hard to resist that, I have a weakness for baaaad jokes...)

I'm glad that *someone* finally said this on these boards (and that you were able to articulate your ideas...which I would've been incapable of doing were I in your place). Uh so...yeah...darn, I forgot what I was going to say after this...

nrrr....

Guess you never spent time in the military.  I have seen plenty of Female Generals and Colonels in the Marine Corps.  And in the off chance you have done time in the Military, you must have never gotten around.

Guess why none of them have a combat position?

Guess you never spent time in the military.  I have seen plenty of Female Generals and Colonels in the Marine Corps.  And in the off chance you have done time in the Military, you must have never gotten around.

Hmmm....I'm going to guess it's because you're a dip**** who dosen't know what they're talking about, am I right?

The market for Kotor and Kotor2 is mosltly male, in fact the video game and sci-fi market is mostly male, and that's the basis for most of the opinions here.  Because of that, I have no doubt the protagonist in Kotor3 will be thought of as male as all the major characters in Star Wars are male, it makes sense in that way.  If the market were to turn right around, then we'd agree the pc would be female, it's that simple.

Just look around you, the only games who have a female protagonist are Tomb Raider, Drakan, and a few others, and those protagonists are notorious for excellent boobs and curves under scanty, tight clothing, therefore we know who they're made for.  There will have to be a larger female consumer population for these products before they start doing anything about it.

With that in mind, debate all you want, but perceptions don't change that easy.

More and more women are playing these games, and developers would have to be complete idiots to ignore us. There's nothing like pissing a potential market off to do wonders for sales. We want more than Barbie's 3D Shopping Adventure, and giving us choices as to the gender of the protragonist in RPG's helps (not giving us weaker PC's or fewer and crappier romance options would help too).

So imagine how it feels for this growing gaming segment to invest so much time into our characters, our female Revans and Exiles, only to hear, "Sorry, it doesn't really count officially as they are officially male." There are guys here who get it, and they're great, but read through this thread and see how many men still buy into the "you're male so you're the best!" crap they've been fed all their lives. Misogyny is alive and well, so I hope you can understand why we would like the time and money we put into our games could be taken a little more seriously by having no official sex for Revan or the Exile. Or if there really, REALLY has to be official sexes, then at least have one of them male and one of them female. It's really not asking too much.

It would help though to have more women working in the industries. I can just picture male developers feeling all "icky" about writing romances with a male NPC, or at the very least designing games with themselves in mind with no clue how to target the other 51% of the population as potential consumers.

Doubling the market. What a freaky concept...

You've seen plenty of female Generals in the Marine Corps? I wasn't aware that the US Military kept plentiful amounts of Generals during peace-time, especially female ones...

Hey, if you reply back and confirm it I'll believe you, I'm no soldier. I just wasn't aware there were that many female Generals in the USMC...

...to target the other 51% of the population as potential consumers.

Doubling the market. What a freaky concept...

The bolded part of your quote is the key word in that entire paragraph. You want a game developer to put more effort into trying to please a market that MAY have a bigger potential customer base, but its actual realized customer base is still significantly smaller than the male audience.

Again, you're making a lot of assumptions based on a percentage that isn't even relevent considering that even though the current population of the world might or might not consist of 51% female, how many of those 51% actually even give a damn about video games. I'd bet my life on a greater percentage of males being in to video games as compared to the percentage of females that are.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I can just picture male developers feeling all "icky" about writing romances with a male NPC

:geek:

They write both parts of the romance wether or not your PC is male or female, so why would they feel any more icky than normal?

Just a thought.