Story Vs. Combat

Which is most important to you?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which is most important to you?

• Story
    • Combat

I voted for story, but I think both are important in an RPG. It is a game, and gameplay is one of the reasons we choose a video game over a movie.

The combat system in a game is what will make me choose to play it or not. I can't spend hours scrolling through menu's in the Final Fantasy games like some people can. I don't play turn based RPGs, because I usually get bored. Kotor isn't boring to me because you don't have to pause the game, you can just fight.

But at the same time the game needs an interesting story. It is often the story that will drive me to keep playing the game, so I can find out what happens next. I love talking to different characters, finding new information, etc more than I like the fighting part.

Ultimately, a good game needs both or I would get bored.

By saying combat overshines the story in KOTOR 2 I mean that it seems more like the developers focused on making a good combat system, yet the story remains with its pile of failures, it was OK but not very much.

To me the combat system seemed really great, but the story... not so good.

By saying combat overshines the story in KOTOR 2 I mean that it seems more like the developers focused on making a good combat system, yet the story remains with its pile of failures, it was OK but not very much.

The combat system itself is OK, although I would have prefered that they retain the Star Wars d20 Vitality system instead. The problem is that there is absolutely no game balance whatsoever. :(

manthing2.jpg

Star Wars d20 Vitality system

What is that?

Star Wars d20 Vitality system

What is that?

In Star Wars d20, Force Senstive characters use Force powers and the cost of a bit of vitality. Incidently, vitality is also used for hit points so a first level Jedi n00b will get pwned pretty damn quickly if they go crazy with the Force powers - as they'll be taken out of the fight.

It's a good system and much more realistic than the bastardization KotOR adopted. It makes having a good constitution character all the more important. :thumbsup:

manthing2.jpg

Im glad the combat in the kotor series is sorta FF Stlye, it lets you pause, and plan a good strategy, which is cool, cos you know exactly whos doing what, instead of rushing into a situaion and just button mashing.

I would like to point out that you can win certain CRPGs without fighting. Fallout, for example. It might be difficult, in many places, but you can do it. You could not, however, beat the game without participating in a story...

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat

...but the point remains. One can have an RPG without combat playing an important role. An RPG that doesn't have story playing an important role is just Everquest. :p

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat