Story Vs. Combat

Which is most important to you?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which is most important to you?

• Story
    • Combat

Statement:  "Story" is more important than "Combat" to me...and I fear that KOTOR 2 concentrated too much on the combat options than the Story....

The whole descriptor thing is sooo last year. >_<

Incidently, it's really hard to enjoy one without the other.

Lol. Wisea**. :-"

It was my pleasure n00b. :-"

manthing2.jpg

if you had to pick one or the other in terms of importance (because obviously both would be the best option), then story all the way. kotor1 and kotor2 are the perfect example for me. neither was difficult combat, yet what made me actually finish both games was the story.

in contrast, i dont think i could finish a game that had good combat but had a crappy story. id give up after the first or second mission.

They are both equally important.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Both story and combat are equally important in my opinion.

Story is important because you need a reason to continue on with the game,

Combat is important cause most your time spent will be in combat and if it isn't good then why the hell would you waste your time.

LOL didn't read what the guy who replied before me said... >_<

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

You think that the combat overshined the story?  THe ONLY combat I had trouble with was the last one.  :)

Story... huge!  Everyone makes combat games.  It is the story that makes a cult following.  :huh:

In the case of FO1&2 and KotOR, it was the cumulative story/combat experience which made the cult following. :wub:

manthing2.jpg

I'll vote combat just cause. Every RPG out there has combat as a key element to driving the story and reaching the conclusion. If the combat totally sucks then it puts a serious downplay on the game as a whole. If a RPG is far too easy, then it just doesn't stack up, I mean, the whole point of playing RPG's (for the most part) is so you can build a powerful character and fight the evil of the land isn't it?

Story, without a doubt. I'd love to see more RPGs where combat played a fairly minor role in the game world, with complex character and social interaction, as well as world exploration and the like being more fully fleshed out in its place; more RPGs where beating the end boss isn't so much the endgame as finding interesting solutions to whatever conflicts the story's presented you with.

Now maybe some of those solutions will be combat oriented, so if it's there, it had better be good at the very least, if not great. However, for every combat solution, I'd like to see two or three alternate solutions for resolving a conflict or progressing the story; alternate solutions that might better serve the story or fit the game's protagonist than yet another dungeon crawl.

I suppose I look at it more as story versus gameplay issue, where story still takes precedence as the driving force behind the game, while gameplay is there to serve the story in the best way possible, be it through complex dialogue options, stealth, inventive environment / tool use, combat or whatever else the story happens to call for and the character is most likely to do. For me, story provides the motivation, intrigue, interest and emotional investment, not to mention the ultimate payoff, while the gameplay is simply a means to that end.

With the goal being to get to that end with as a high a level of satisfaction as possible, the gameplay is unquestionably important, and has to be both good and appropriate so as not to detract from the telling of the story itself, but the story is still the star. At least in my world :thumbsup: