Resident Evil 4 review from IGN online

kumquatq3

9.6 from Gamespot?!

Ok, this really must be one hell of a game. I have a friend with a Gamecube.. Let the persuasion process begin!

Anyhow:

"You cannot move and fire at the same time, nor can you strafe from side to side as you can in a typical shooter, though Resident Evil 4 plays very much like a shooter otherwise."

This Gamespot snippet makes Resident Evil 4 sound like a FPS with crappy controls. A little worrying.. Although I got used to the Gothic control schemes so I know from experience that anything is possible!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have the demo, RE4 plays like every other RE game, but it has a different camera angle and better aiming.

Otherwise it's pretty much the same, the camera angle allows for better movement controls of your "tank" though.

Fantastic :D

My only real complaint about this game is that my favorite RE character isn't in it.

But you have the pathetic blond gay from RE2 :devil:

I gather that you prefered the wussy mercenary from RE3 then? :-"

Who mercenary? The stupid who blowed up with Nemesis in the train, dying him and making no damage to nemesis?

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

I was looking forward to it, hoping it'd be playable for me, but:

Bringing both gameplay types together is a control scheme that for the most part remains disappointingly unchanged from previous Resident Evil games. Kennedy is manipulated minus true analog control.

I tried playing previous Resident Evil games, but I simply could not get used to that moronic control scheme. Frustrating. The game looks beautiful, though; the Gamecube needs more games like this.

I just wish I had any desire to play it now. Darn you, Capcom!

I don't know what the reviewer meant by that. I am halfway through RE4 now, and the control scheme isn't like the previous games. In fact, I think that is probably the most fundamental improvement I've noticed so far. The graphics are good of course, but they were just as good for the RE remake on Gamecube, and RE-0. The story is also a great break-off. The only complaint I have is that its not a puzzle game anymore, not really. <_<

so non-spoiler impressions? Minus sequels of joy

It's a fantastic game.

Very Cinematic, and quite challenging. Even though it has an "action" setup, it plays VERY much like a standard Survival Horror game.

I find it odd you can buy guns but not ammo :)

Ammo seems to grow on trees, but health is pretty scarce. ;)

Overall it has a really good flow of events and is "definately" a Resident Evil game :)

I don't know what the reviewer meant by that.  I am halfway through RE4 now, and the control scheme isn't like the previous games.  In fact, I think that is probably the most fundamental improvement I've noticed so far.  The graphics are good of course, but they were just as good for the RE remake on Gamecube, and RE-0.  The story is also a great break-off.  The only complaint I have is that its not a puzzle game anymore, not really.  <_<

Actually the controls are the same, it's just with the new camera angle it seems different.

I'm on chapter 3 in Resident Evil 4 and thus far the game has lived up to the praises. Great music, atomosphere. I haven't had any problems with the new camera angle either. Leon's character isn't overdone, he is actually pretty believable.

Someone mentioned Silent Hill being better? Its hard to compare considering Resident Evil is in-your-face action/gore and Silent Hill is psychological horror. I'm a fan of both so you know.

Well I'm probably getting this game, I liked Resident Evil 1/2/3, so this should be great.

I'm not surprised it got such a high score by "IGN", supposedly it has a lot of advanced functions, they've really improved upon the average Resident Evil game.