How "official" is KOTOR in the Star Wars universe

too true, the movies are the originals from the creator of star wars. they are truly official star wars, its nice when all the expanded eu coincides but jees it doesnt always have to, with series of books yes it has to, with series of games it has to, but not all of those things have to be perfectly interlinked, if you cant overlook 'defencies' in continuity to the extent a game/book/film is ruined then that is kinda sad

"Bioware never gave Obsidian the game. LucasArts can do anything with KOTOR series."

Don't fool yourself. There's a reason why Obsidian got KOTOR2; and that reason is Bioware.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about Torment/BIS?"

Eh. Completely different scenario there. At the time, BIS/Interplay were BIO's publishers so it would only make sense that BIO would 'share' their engine(s) with them. Torment was a BIS game made on the BIO IE. Obviously, without BIo PST would not ahve existed or would have existed ina completely different form 9which may have actually made it better or not; who knows0. Just like without BIS/Interplay; BIO wouldn't have been able to make the BG games.. So, it all works out.

I'm just syaing that it's obvious why Obsidian got 'tapped' to make KOTOR2. Sure, talent plays a aprt; but it also helsp to being buddies with BIO who didn't want to make the sequel themselves and reccommended Obsidian to LA and "allowed" them to use their engine (ie. licensed it out) and lent their expertise. I doubt LA would have chosen Obsidian - a new company - out of a hat.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Some sith have been occasionally calling themselves Darth this or that since they first appeared. It means shadow warrior.

Darth became compulsory in honor of Darth Bane and all subsequent sith were required to call themselves Darth.

At this point Darth ceased being a name and became more of a title than anything-e.g. Khameir Sarin (sp?) passes his sith trials and in so doing becomes a 'Darth,' Darth Maul in his case.

I see you have been browsing Supershadow's site, and believe me that guy lies.

As I said, it is possible something happens that basically wipes out the whole galaxy, slowing down the way they evolve with technology and history about Revan and Malak is not passed on because so many people died. Perhaps it is the 'True Sith' that will cause this.

I always thought this was a bit strange:

The Kotor series is set 4,000 years before the movies. But basically all the planets that feature in the game from the movies look exactly the same. And all the technology from the movies is almost the same as the stuff in the movies.

I mean come on, look back on human kind 4000 years ago.  Today we are so far more advanced and evolved than that, its un recognisable.

I think that planets and tech would have evolved more.

Thats because the Empire got stuff done. :D

heh heh, true. not. :p

That's why he's a woosie.

Bah! Face to face, Palpy would have mopped the floor with Vader. He just foolishly lost his senses in the heat of the moment and turned his back on his apprentice at the worst possible time. <_<

And for the record, what was said earlier about the Star Wars universe and continuity is correct. This is not serious Science Fiction, folks. If you try and view the whole thing critically, it'll unravel before your eyes because it wasn't meant to hold up under criticism. Star Wars is about fast-paced action and adventure mixed in with the most basic moral ideas imaginable, and any attempt to fit those things into a larger universe is a secondary matter, at best.

It's cheese; 100% pure Velveeta. But cheese can be damned tasty sometimes.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

The problem with the integrity of seperate SW-media (games, comics, films, etc.) is not one of officiality: It HAS TO be official because the enterprise belongs to one guy, and that happens to be Lucas.

What is meaningful to discuss is not this, but whether a coherent SW-universe makes sense: I had proposed earlier that it's not meant to make sense.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

The Kotor series is set 4,000 years before the movies. But basically all the planets that feature in the game from the movies look exactly the same. And all the technology from the movies is almost the same as the stuff in the movies.

I mean come on, look back on human kind 4000 years ago. Today we are so far more advanced and evolved than that, its un recognisable.

I think that planets and tech would have evolved more.

Think about in these terms, how much, technologically speaking did early man evolve until around the Egytian times and other ancient empires? Not very much, and even after that, thousands of more years passed before our current times, before technology really started to significantly change.

I guess the same would be for when a society reaches it's technological peak.