The List of Continuity Mistakes

I don't read Star Wars novels or Star Wars xomics like everyone else. I'm not even a Star Wars fanatic by any standard. I just like playing KotOR games. And I can guarantee you that the box-with-wings that you guys manifested as a Basilisk War Droid is not what anyone saw in their mind's eye when Canderous was vaguely describing the Basilisk War Droid in KotOR 1.

The way it was described made me picture it like a huge power suit sort of thing, a cross between a mechwarrior machine and those japanese battle robots i guess ... since (an)droid usually implies some resemblance to human form. So the tiny milk-carton ship the game showed me was a little disappointing... but hardly something to complain about. (found it way more aggravating personally that nearly all light armour in game came with these crazy flaps that made the "does this make me look like my ass is _really_ fat?" a rhetorical question >.<

That said, this thread is downright scary, never realized just how obsessive fans can get... bet that poor Obsidian guy who decided to reply to it didn't quite realize it too... now we both know better. :s

The way it was described made me picture it like a huge power suit sort of thing, a cross between a mechwarrior machine and those japanese battle robots i guess ... since (an)droid usually implies some resemblance to human form. So the tiny milk-carton ship the game showed me was a little disappointing... but hardly something to complain about. (found it way more aggravating personally that nearly all light armour in game came with these crazy flaps that made the "does this make me look like my ass is _really_ fat?" a rhetorical question >.<

That said, this thread is downright scary, never realized just how obsessive fans can get... bet that poor Obsidian guy who decided to reply to it didn't quite realize it too... now we both know better. :s

To be honest, what I saw in my mind's eye, with just the discription that Canderous gave in the first game, somewhat resembled a beetle-like insect and hear I come to find out that that's what it was orginally supposed to look like. About the armour, I assume you're refering to the armour in the game that doesn't restrict Force Powers, with the stupid-looking flap than hangs down: don't get me started. It pained me just to look at that crap. I only wore it on my first play through. After that, ever piece of Jal Shey Armour (I think that's what it's called) that I came across, I just broke down into components or sold it to some unfortunate soul. About this thread being scary and the obsessive fans: Yes, it is and yes, we are! I don't think that I'm quite as obsessive as a few of the other people here, but that's just from my point of view. This thread is like a 12-car/truck pile-up. It's pretty damn messy, but you know you want to check it out just to see how bad/ugly it is. But now I'm involved in the 12-car/truck pile-up so I feel obigated to stick around until the "police" come by and sort everything out.....and I have to bitch at the other drivers.

About the armour, I assume you're refering to the armour in the game that doesn't restrict Force Powers, with the stupid-looking flap than hangs down: don't get me started. It pained me just to look at that crap. I only wore it on my first play through. After that, ever piece of Jal Shey Armour (I think that's what it's called) that I came across, I just broke down into components or sold it to some unfortunate soul.

Yes, meant those horrible things ;.; They had few slightly different names and 'types' i think, but all looked very similar and well.. fuuuuuugly. >.< In that one aspect the first game was much better for me, it had a nice selection of good looking stuff... in KotOR2 i pretty much settled for Echani light armour with some modifications throughtout whole game simply because everything else was just... eeew. >_<

(and no, didn't mean you when i mentioned obsessive and scary... there's just one person in the thread that really sets the bar -.^;;

Its look like a Virago, I played SotE enough to recognize it.

This strikes me as odd as well.

The "mandalorian shuttle" that we use is the same as the "G-wing" that Bastila used in the Unknown World temple, OE recyled the model.

Problem is that if you go DS in the Temple Summit Bastila states that the G-Wing is one person only so there is no way the "Mandalorian Shuttle/G-Wing" would be capable of carry 3 people on it.

drakron.png

The "mandalorian shuttle" that we use is the same as the "G-wing" that Bastila used in the Unknown World temple, OE recyled the model.

Problem is that if you go DS in the Temple Summit Bastila states that the G-Wing is one person only so there is no way the "Mandalorian Shuttle/G-Wing" would be capable of carry 3 people on it.

its not a stretch to assume it could have been modified. just think of the millennium falcon. the original "stock light freighter" before modified didnt have dual gun turrets, didnt have those hidden storage compartments, and if i recall, could only sit 2 in the ****pit, rather than the modified 4 seater than han solo owns.

perhaps thats just assumptions on my behalf, but there is precedent in the star wars universe for people modifying their spaceships to their own needs, and perhaps the mandalorians needed their shuttle to accomodate more than just one person and modified it accordingly.

One thing is modify a light transport and another is modify a fighter.

Modify a fighter that could only carry 1 person so it does 3 without any visible changes is near impossible, worst is call it a "shuttle".

OE reclycled resources, they could had recycle the "Sith Shuttle" for that instead of the G-Wing and they used the Sith Shuttle model in the game.

drakron.png

hey, Obsidian recycled a LOT of stuff from the first game. The items, mainly. They used the image for one item and used it for another. I was very dissappointed it the short cuts that they took.

OH, OH, OH! Hey, does anyone remember that door on the Harbinger that leads to the Engines? How STUPID was THAT?! They used the EXACT same door that BioWare used for the doors in Lower City Taris, when there was nothing wrong with all of the other doors on the Harbinger. All of the doors match, except one. They did the same thing at the Exchange headquarters on Nar Shaddaa: All of the doors match except the door leading to the boss's office. That door was the exact same one that BioWare used for the Dreshdae colony on Korriban. It was stupid that they felt like they HAD to use stuff from the first game that was completely unnecessary, just because they didn't have to design it from scratch like BioWare did. For a lot of stuff, all they had to do was just cut-and-paste. When I came across stuff like that, I just felt cheated. O.K. I'm done bitching.

You know I've noticed that Bioware never once changed a thing in the EU, save for the Valley of the Dark Lords. Which I hear was done so because of time and because the real Valley would take up to much room. This SHIP Chris says that Bioware stole and used for the Republic fleet looks nothing like the Republic carrier in the PT. Almost like, but not exactly like. The VIRAGO WAR DROID, looks exactly like a VIRAGO STAR VIPER.

Bioware also intended for the Beast to be the War droid. There is no RIDING IN, because I just went through the damn game, and listened carefully to Canderous word for damn word. He talks about HIS armor glowing red hot because of the Reentry. So that right there doesn't hold up to the BUS Virago WAR Droid. Which is approved but doesn't mean it's cannon. You people need to learn how cannon works. Lucas Arts approves crap all the time, but LFL is the one's who deal with the continuity. There is a small difference between Lucas Arts and Lucas Film License.

Please,please get the Tales 23 with the KOTOR comic, which I believe will have the VOTDL. Take a wild guess an which VALLEY was used. Comics and novels have the ability to say **** YOU to the games, they over power them, because they are the dominant forms of continuity. So if KOTOR 2 is made into an adaptation or the Mandalorian Wars are chronicled by Dark Horse, your precious VIRAGO won't be ****. In such instances it will no longer exist, except in your OWN continuity, but not the offical continuity. Right now the things is a Stealth version, but lets see where continuity takes it from here. :)

And what's this crap about the Virago looking COOL. I wonder if some of really mean that, or are just saying it to defend Chris or others? Of course it's hard to tell on a computer, some of you could lie regardless. I see it all the time, tis why I'm not effected by any insult or post made against me. I enjoy them with a sence of GLEE.

The Beast could have been changed to look much cooler, and in fact I like the beast the way it is. It shows the insanity of the Mandalorians. Warriors who will RIDE into battle on a big powerful DROID, and fight. Mandalorians who will fly around in space and reenter planet atmosphears with just their armor as protection. The Beast represents the Mandalorian coolness. No other race in the galaxy is crazy enough to do the things the Mandalorians do.

what is this Virago to the Basilisk War Droid? A flying bus that can fire lasers, WOW. It makes the Mandalorians so cool, being like everyone one else with a wierd looking space fighter.

Of course I know many of you will say, "That Virago's cool, the beast is crap," LOL.

Please!!! <_<

At least Bioware had a respect, and knowledge of continuity. They made one mistake out of Obsidians five or more.

EDIT: Obsessed, perhaps, or maybe I just believe that things shouldn't be changed just because they look stupid. However I don't believe the Beast looks stupid, and many EU fans don't either. So just because few say it looks cool HERE, lol, don't exspect such an agreement at ACTUAL star war's forums.

I need not take anything to Lucas Arts, because Lucas Arts only approved the damn thing. A, "Ok whatever," type deal. Do I have a right to say that. Well after seeing it done, I believe so. Chris didn't like something, thought it was stupid, took a Virago, and had it approved. It's his fault just as much as it was Lucas Arts.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

"At least Bioware had a respect, and knowledge of continuity. They made one mistake out of Obsidians five or more. "

Tell that to Nur Ab Sul... :ermm:"

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"At least Bioware had a respect, and knowledge of continuity. They made one mistake out of Obsidians five or more. "

Tell that to Nur Ab Sul... :ermm:"

Biowares only true mistake was the Valley of the Dark Lords. Which was because the real one was to big for the game. Though the mistake will be fixed in comic form.

Obsidian has:

HK vs Mandalore

The Nagai

Naga Sadow

The Basilisk War Droid: Approved, but approved by who

I need not take anything to Lucas Arts, because Lucas Arts only approved the damn thing. A, "Ok whatever," type deal. Do I have a right to say that. Well after seeing it done, I believe so. Chris didn't like something, thought it was stupid, took a Virago, and had it approved. It's his fault just as much as it was Lucas Arts.

Lucasfilm approved the K2 war droid as well...the same LFL that approved the beast.

Lucasfilm approved the K2 war droid as well...the same LFL that approved the beast.

And after the fact might I add.

That doesn't mean anything...if you used that logic then the Valley of the Dark Lords potrayed in TOTJ is inaccurate compared to the one in K1...yet Lucasfilm licensed both. But like you said they're keeping the ToTJ one for the Tales comics...they could be using the k2 war droid as continuity for all you know.

That doesn't mean anything...if you used that logic then the Valley of the Dark Lords potrayed in TOTJ is inaccurate compared to the one in K1...yet Lucasfilm licensed both. But like you said they're keeping the ToTJ one for the Tales comics...they could be using the k2 war droid as continuity for all you know.

Thing you need to reverse some of that. The Valley in KOTOR is inaccurate, the KOTOR comic will portray the true Valley of the comics. So Revan will be climbing those stairs to Marka Ragnos tomb like everyone else.

And since the Basilisk War Droid was approved as the Beast for the Article, which is the dominant definition found in the Continuity Holocron ran by Leland Chee, who is in charge of continuity, I don't think the Virago will be continuity.

Trust, Dark Horse makes a comic, Del Rey makes a book, say bye bye to your precious Virago. Well not bye bye, but bye in the sence that will never be a Basilisk War Droid again.

You truely need to learn how continuity works if your going against me.

I need to restate some of that. Del Rey will keep it as a Stealth version for continuity.

But oh how I hope for a Dark Horse adaptation. I'll just love it when continuity will have Exile and his two friends riding the beast down instead of the Virago.

Edit: I was talking to the Editor of Dark Horse once, and we got on the subject of the Massassi. He must have understood something I said, and believed that Obsidian had changed the way the Massassi looked for KOTOR 2. His comment was very interesting implying that no matter what Obsidian they would not change the way a Massassi looked on Dark Horse standards. Who in which case are above the games in the continuity time table.

However I don't believe the Beast looks stupid, and many EU fans don't either.

I had no idea what that droid thing was "supposed" to look like until i stumbled on this thread (heck, i had no idea it's actually some invention pre-dating the KotOR games) Now, i can't say i was impressed with how it was portrayed by the game, but when i did a quick search and saw the concept sketch for the 'beast' that was quoted couple of times here... sorry, my reaction was along the lines of "... Huh? what is it, Power Rangers?" :"> it just really really looks like these cheesy, badly animated 'robo-monsters' or whatever they had in that show... which probably has something to do with the time when it was created, and what was considered "cool" back then... :blink:"

His comment was very interesting implying that no matter what Obsidian they would not change the way a Massassi looked on Dark Horse standards. Who in which case are above the games in the continuity time table.

above the games, perhaps. above lucasarts and lucasfilms final decision? no. so unless you were speaking to george lucas himself, your comment is irrelevant.

His comment was very interesting implying that no matter what Obsidian they would not change the way a Massassi looked on Dark Horse standards. Who in which case are above the games in the continuity time table.

above the games, perhaps. above lucasarts and lucasfilms final decision? no. so unless you were speaking to george lucas himself, your comment is irrelevant.

Like I say, get Tales 23,and see how continuity really works.

After you have done so, everything I said above will come to pass. For the Valley of the Dark Lords will no longer look anything like the KOTOR version, but as it should in Comic form.

After you have done so, everything I said above will come to pass. For the Valley of the Dark Lords will no longer look anything like the KOTOR version, but as it should in Comic form.

and your point?

it doesnt matter what dark horse prints. if lucasfilms or lucasbooks decides in the next couple of months they want to go with the video game design rather than dark horse, then thats what will happen, regardless if dark horse says so or not.

edit: and btw, i dont really want to get into a debate with you, since so far in this thread youve completely ignored everything people have posted that shoot down your "omg continuity ruined! continuity ruined!" theory, and only respond with the same repetitive things over and over, citing irrelevant sources.

so feel free to complain that attons pants are not continuity because some obscure comic book says that fashion wont occur for the next 100 years. :blink:

and your point?

it doesnt matter what dark horse prints. if lucasfilms or lucasbooks decides in the next couple of months they want to go with the video game design rather than dark horse, then thats what will happen, regardless if dark horse says so or not.

LOL ;)

Dark Horse is one of the main continuity products. Is everything approved by LFL, TRUE. However when it comes to the comics, LFL approves continuity. Dark Horse created the Valley, the Basilisk, and the Massassi when they draw it, it's approved.

AFter KOTOR, a comic, Republic 63 I believe, had the original Valley. Approved by LFL, you bet. GAMES never WIN NeverWinter, I don't even have to prove to know I'm right.

It's so much better not to prove it, because when the Valley returns to it's original self or the Basilisk, I'll just laugh. I'm not one of those people who say, "I told you so," or am I? ;)

the only thing youve proven is you spend way too much of your time, and way too much of your energy complaining about A FREAKING SHIP/DROID THAT APPEARS IN ABOUT 1 MINUTE OF THE ENTIRE GAME.

think about that for a minute. all this time arguing over what a basilisk should or shouldnt look like.

how exactly does the design of a ship that you only get to actually ride ONCE in a cutscene affect the game to the point where you need to "prove" youre right?

not to mention (and heres the part you keep ignoring other people bring up) star wars continuity is NOT flawless in itself. or do i keep having to bring up the freaking hutt jedi? if you can explain the hutt jedi and still say that continuity in the sw universe is flawless, then go right ahead. otherwise, ITS A FREAKING DESIGN DECISION.

the only thing youve proven is you spend way too much of your time, and way too much of your energy complaining about A FREAKING SHIP/DROID THAT APPEARS IN ABOUT 1 MINUTE OF THE ENTIRE GAME.

think about that for a minute.  all this time arguing over what a basilisk should or shouldnt look like.

how exactly does the design of a ship that you only get to actually ride ONCE in a cutscene affect the game to the point where you need to "prove" youre right?

not to mention (and heres the part you keep ignoring other people bring up) star wars continuity is NOT flawless in itself.  or do i keep having to bring up the freaking hutt jedi?  if you can explain the hutt jedi and still say that continuity in the sw universe is flawless, then go right ahead.  otherwise, ITS A FREAKING DESIGN DECISION.

Who said anything about proving anything. The Basilisk was defined in the Mandalorian Article as a war droid modeled after a Karren Bettle and a Zalorian Rock Lion. I should say that I only suspect that the article makes note that the Basilisk is a Stealth in KOTOR 2, the article never actually says it is. So on a continuity stand point, the Basilisk in KOTOR 2 is wrong. Approved or not. Learn how continuity works. LA/LFL has to fix it. Unless of course Dark horse takes it off their hands. ;)

And wait a minuite. There's is a difference between continuity being messed up, and not liking something. The Hutt Jedi is continuity, you may not like it, but according to continuity there is nothign wrong with it. Most mistakes have been fixed in the EU, and more are fixed.

And wait a minuite. There's is a difference between continuity being messed up, and not liking something. The Hutt Jedi is continuity, you may not like it, but according to continuity there is nothign wrong with it. Most mistakes have been fixed in the EU, and more are fixed.

thats just it. the hutt jedi went against what continuity stated, that the hutt species can NOT be force sensitive. but then they allowed that. but then later they went back to their old stance that hutts cant be jedi.

in other words, continuity changes for the sake of current stories. you make it sound like there have never been any flaws in the continuity. but the hutt jedi clearly broke established rules.

but nevermind. ill leave you to your "flawless" continuity and your tantrum over a ship that makes a brief appearance and has no effect on the game whatsoever.