The List of Continuity Mistakes

I kinda thought of the Basilisk like the martian robots out of war of the worlds.

I imagined thousands of many legged droids decending from the atmosphere.

Just me then?

:">

Watch out Mandalorians are comming to get you Darth Dan!! war%20of%20the%20worlds.jpg

" So... let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

- Rimmer, Quarantine

The zelorian Rock lion must have relatives in the Bug family then  :o

And on a side not riding a lion looking like a bug in battle and the turbulance of reentering the atmoshpere wouldnt a lot of madelorian drop from there bug uh i mean lion.

*Bug gets blasted and a madelarion drops from it* "man i knew i should have invested in a better sadle instead of a better radio for my bug"

It's some sort of crap version of a hypogriff.

Body of a lion tail of a lobster (does that sound as dumb when you read it as when you type it?)

Why call it a basilisk ? A basilisk is a snake/lizzard or at least reptilian in nature.

Dunno why you quoted me but atleast a lobster tail is better then a squirrel tail, although that would be nice and fuzzy looking....

" So... let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

- Rimmer, Quarantine

Please don't challenge me on the power between a Basilisk and a Virago. All a Basilisk has to do is charge up it's generating rods, fire, and bye bye Virago. Such a beam can punch a hole in Capital Ships.

Nuke: the Basilisk War Droid is a piece of crap in ToTJ. You've probably seen how Qel-Droma destroys the thing even without his lightsaber, and that Basilisk was Mandalore's personal Basilisk. Seriously I'm glad Chris changed it.

And not to mention it's destroyed by the drexl easily in the Invasion of Onderon in TOTJ.

Please don't challenge me on the power between a Basilisk and a Virago. All a Basilisk has to do is charge up it's generating rods, fire, and bye bye Virago. Such a beam can punch a hole in Capital Ships.

Nuke: the Basilisk War Droid is a piece of crap in ToTJ. You've probably seen how Qel-Droma destroys the thing even without his lightsaber, and that Basilisk was Mandalore's personal Basilisk. Seriously I'm glad Chris changed it.

He destroyed the Basilisk with his lightsaber. After that Mandalore told him to discard his weapon and fight "fairly".

Ha, personally I found "Mandalore the Indominable... or whatever" to be a bit of a dishonourable c*** when it came to setting up those rules:

I can have a basilisk... urm, and you... aren't allowed to touch solid ground. But you can have your lightsaber

*loses basilisk*

*whinge, moan* Put your lightsaber away and fight like a real man!

After that duel he goes up in my esteem... he's just a cheating loser beforehand.

As for the Basilisk? Do I think they should have just "made it look modern"? Yeah I do. Am I that bothered? No.

I mean, what you've gotta learn Nuke that as far as the KotOR series is concerned, their version is the *only* version. It's not meant to mesh well with ToJ - and as I've already said, on the whole that's a good thing.

I mean, you said in this thread (perhaps another one) that "I understand why everythign looks more modern, it's 40 years later" but you've obviously not understood: It's not anything to do with the timespan, if they did a "war of Exar Kun" flashback in the next KotOR game the mandalorians would all still be wearing their "modern Kotor" armour, not that weird spiky "40K Mrk II Space Marine armour ripoff", the mandalorians would all be "humans", ships would NOT be bug-like, the lightsabers would not look like they were made out of bark and the basilisks would look more akin to the one in KotOR II.

As far as I am concerned (and this is just my preference) the visuals of KotOR I and II supercede those of ToJ- that is what that era has *always* like. That's just my preference however, and you can choose to believe the shaky "continuity" put forward by SW:Insider, with all its crap about Mandalorians accepting different races and suddenly switching from archaic looking armour to really flashy modern armour within 40 years.

I prefer to hold faith in somethign believable however, and that's not what the "official continuity" has presented. And you can't refute what I think based on teh grounds it's not "official continuity"- because I know that, but "continuity" isn't Canon, and I have no qualms going against it.

I mean, basilisks were presented in the movies as a beast then yeah, obviously you can't change it. But presented in a comic book? Well... who cares? Yeah, they're cool but... KotOR II's cooler than ToJ, so by default gets to take liberties imho.

For me, KotOR I and II have completly redesigned that era - and more power to them for doing so, since they've made it distinctly more star wars and distinctly less crappy.

Comics have more power over the games, and in 40 years the Basilisk didn't change because of the Article. A Basilisk by definition is modeled after a Karren Bettle and a Zalorian Rock-Lion, that's continuity. What KOTOR 2 contributed was a Stealth version, not a battle droid. That's that.

See the games can't go back in time and change ****.

Someone was saying why a Basilisk is called a Basilisk. It's because they were created by a species called Basiliskans, who were also reptilian.

And to those with power issues, perhas you should look at the pages where the Basilisk blows ships in half, and tears through the walls of the forerost ship yards, and blows it's combined cannons. Virago's got blown up pretty easly as well.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

if they did a "war of Exar Kun" flashback in the next KotOR game the mandalorians would all still be wearing their "modern Kotor" armour, not that weird spiky "40K Mrk II Space Marine armour ripoff", the mandalorians would all be "humans", ships would NOT be bug-like, the lightsabers would not look like they were made out of bark and the basilisks would look more akin to the one in KotOR II.

Good point. o:)

What KOTOR 2 contributed was a Stealth version, not a battle droid. That's that.

And to those with power issues, perhas you should look at the pages where the Basilisk blows ships in half, and tears through the walls of the forerost ship yards, and blows it's combined cannons. Virago's got blown up pretty easly as well.

The cigar smoking bug might blow trough ships and all but i still say that the stealth version kicks its ass since you cant hit what you cant see. :ph34r:

Then again we might argue about that for an other week or two and never change each others minds because its all opinion!! SW isnt reality there are no facts. or did the USA change there m16 for lightsabers while i was not looking? o:)

- Rimmer, Quarantine

What KOTOR 2 contributed was a Stealth version, not a battle droid. That's that.

The cigar smoking bug might blow trough ships and all but i still say that the stealth version kicks its ass since you cant hit what you cant see. :ph34r:

Then again we might argue about that for an other week or two and never change each others minds because its all opinion!! SW isnt reality there are no facts. or did the USA change there m16 for lightsabers while i was not looking? o:)

Those Cigar's blow out a beam that can pierce Capital Ship armor, and from what I can see in TOTJ the Beast can see very well.

Those Cigar's blow out a beam that can pierce Capital Ship armor, and from what I can see in TOTJ the Beast can see very well.

Yes but as i stated earlier for all i care it has an deat star laser beam up its ass you can not hit somthing you do not see.

According to your picture and statements the mendelarions are riding the bug and thus the madelerions should see there targets and given that there armour might magicly protect them in space and amtosperic reentry your not saying it also has an ultry advanced radar system in it?

Also i do not think you saw the beast fight CLOACKED targets in TOTJ?

- Rimmer, Quarantine

Yes but as i stated earlier for all i care it has an deat star laser beam up its ass you can not hit somthing you do not see.

According to your picture and statements the mendelarions are riding the bug and thus the madelerions should see there targets and given that there armour might magicly protect them in space and amtosperic reentry your not saying it also has an ultry advanced radar system in it?

The DROID can see and fight on it's own you know. It was said in the essential guide that the Beast and warrior are like best friends, responding and helping each other where they can.

and all Mandalorian armor can MAGICLY protect them in space, from Crusader to Mandalorian Protector.

Comics have more power over the games, and in 40 years the Basilisk didn't change because of the Article. A Basilisk by definition is modeled after a Karren Bettle and a Zalorian Rock-Lion, that's continuity. What KOTOR 2 contributed was a Stealth version, not a battle droid. That's that.

Did you even read the bit where I said I just discarded continuity that I thought was crap, official or no?

It's all about preference. You want to believe the official continuity... fine. I'll run with the one that makes the most sense. That is to say that stuff doesn't dramatically change in 40 years time.

They call it a "basilisk war droid" in KotOR II. Stealth model or not, it is still a Basilisk War droid- and recognisable as one, since that Onderonian guy says as soon as he sees it, "Ah, we've not seen Baslisk war droids in some time". NOT: "Whoa, what looks nothing like the baslisk war droids I'm used to seeing".

You know what I suggest you do? Take KotOR as infinities and ignore it as part of the larger "official" continuity- that way you can keep everything the way you like it, and the people who enjoy the KotOR games as the "definitive take on Star Wars history", like me, can go on thinking that.

See the games can't go back in time and change ****.

Whatdoya mean "see"? That implies you've proved your argument is correct when all you've done is ignore what I've said.

I've already "seen" your argument in every post you've made and already put forward my thoughts on the matter. You can't change my mind by talking about "official continuity" - CONTINUITY IS NOT CANON.

Only Canon can be undisputed by *me*. Everything else is fair game for me to pick and mix.

You can disagree- I don't *care* if you disagree, it's your right to enjoy what you think is "Star Wars" just as much as it is mine. But that means you can't tell me I'm wrong. Because what we're debating is not canon *sings and dances*.

As far as *I* am concerned: Dark Empire never happened and neither did Splinter of the Mind's eye, Shadows of the Empire did and the Tales of the Jedi comics do not present what the galaxy *actually* looked like at that time - KotOR does.

Heh, I'd love to see how you explain Slyvar's DRAMATIC change in appearance from The Sith War to Redemption with your "official continuity" rhetoric I'm sensing it would be something like the Klingons "vastly different appearance" between Original and Next Gen?

If the games are as good as the KotOR games, then for me they *CAN* change what happened- especially if what they present is better.

That's why I didn't complain when they had all the "A Jedi is not supposed to love" in KotOR - even though this is clearly not the case in ToJ. You're lucky they even bothered mentioning the likes of Exar Kun - hell, I think they should have just striken him from history all together.

I've used this a million times but here it goes: the "War of Exar Kun" they talk about in KotOR and hell, even "Exar Kun" is NOT what you're thinking of. You're thinking of ToJ's Exar Kun and Sith War... wrongggg.

In KotOR the war is a massive conflict, in which Exar Kun converts thousands of Jedi to his cause and leads a gargantuan army against the Republic.

In ToJ the war takes place over a few days, there are a couple of big battles in which Exar Kun plays no part as a "leader", nor does he convert many Jedi. he converts only twenty... *TWENTY*, how pathetic is that?

KotOR did what I do: it picked and mixed from the EU to make things more like Star Wars. Which I thought was awesome.

You can disagree with me - but you cannot prove me wrong by throwing the official continuity at me. All the "official" continuity is the way to explain and fit *everythign* that's happened in the EU together, even if some things in the EU are CLEARLY incompatable... kind of like how Nintento used to have that lame storyline for all the Legend of Zelda games that made out that Link was the same guy in each one.

Then again we might argue about that for an other week or two and never change each others minds because its all opinion!! SW isnt reality there are no facts. or did the USA change there m16 for lightsabers while i was not looking? :devil:

The DROID can see and fight on it's own you know. It was said in the essential guide that the Beast and warrior are like best friends, responding and helping each other where they can.

and all Mandalorian armor can MAGICLY protect them in space, from Crusader to Mandalorian Protector.

(Heh that kinda made me think of the sandpeople and there fuzzy looking bantha's :D)

Anyways so the droid can see on its own? well cool and all but there is still th epropblem that the opponent is cloacked.

The droid can fight on its own also? well that atealst makes up a bit for the impratical postistion of the pilot sitting on the outside, tho i find it hoorible to imagine how it would look. o:)

anyways enough for now im tired and its time for a nice warm bed.

- Rimmer, Quarantine

The droid is a poor idea and I'm glad that Obsidian didn't use it, and would really be happy if no one ever used it again. I mean with a world of ideas out there and thats the best they could come up with. Wh o let there three year old do the writing for them

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Just a few general comments after skimming this thread.

1. This is Darth Nuke vs the Rest Of The World.

2. Darth Nuke is nearly matching the Rest Of The World in post frequency.

3. But not in post value.

4. I read what Chris said and skimmed the rest and it all made sense to me.

:blink:

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Nuke's argument rests solely on the assumption that there is a division in LFL between the continuity keepers and the non-continuity keepers-and that the non continuity keepers approved the K2 basilisk whereas the continuity keepers would have kept the beast.

When Chris himself informed us that LFL approved it on first pass, why do you keep insisting that the continuity keepers would have changed it?

The LFL that approved the magazine article is the same LFL that approved K2.

There is no continuity in SW. Period. Even ToTJ can't follow its own continuity.

Oh there is continuity, and a pretty strong one at that. Everything that connects, connects well, and when it didn't it was fixed.

Most of you seem to have the problem with the ideas and looks that came out of the EU. LOL, that has nothing to do with continuity, but preference. You don't like a Cloned Emperor, fine. However it is still continuity according to LFL.

Chris doesn't know how continuity works, but I'm sure that if you go to the other boards with EU fans you can learn very quickly how it does work.

Good Night

nope EU continuity at best will sometimes exist 4 years after the fact. Its even been said that the new movie will force even more continuity issues, so that sort of makes it a constantly evolving amalgamation that never truely stands on any sure footing

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Oh there is continuity, and a pretty strong one at that. Everything that connects, connects well, and when it didn't it was fixed.

Most of you seem to have the problem with the ideas and looks that came out of the EU. LOL, that has nothing to do with continuity, but preference. You don't like a Cloned Emperor, fine. However it is still continuity according to LFL.

Chris doesn't know how continuity works, but I'm sure that if you go to the other boards with EU fans you can learn very quickly how it does work.

Good Night

so let me see if ive got this right:

something that lucasarts and lucasfilm gives the okay to that you dont agree with (the basilisk thing), and thats breaking with continuity and "not okay".

something that lucasarts and lucasfilm gives the okay to that i dont agree with (beldorian the hutt, a jedi) which seems to break continuity and in your opinion thats fine.

weird how that works.

personally, i think a hutt jedi, a cloned emperor and a sith lord that is unbelievably powerful (exar kun) are more a blight on the star wars universe than the fact that kotor2 used a different design for a single war droid that, for all intents and purposes, played a part in about 1/100000 of the actual game and story.

if youre going to be anal about continuity, thats your choice. but dont use existing eu material or lucasfilms track record as proof, since theyre the ones responsible for the atrocities ive stated, including beldorian the hutt jedi, which is DIRECTLY in contradiction to everything continuity says about hutts being able to be force sensitive.

Good Night

so let me see if ive got this right:

something that lucasarts and lucasfilm gives the okay to that you dont agree with (the basilisk thing), and thats breaking with continuity and "not okay".

something that lucasarts and lucasfilm gives the okay to that i dont agree with (beldorian the hutt, a jedi) which seems to break continuity and in your opinion thats fine.

weird how that works.

personally, i think a hutt jedi, a cloned emperor and a sith lord that is unbelievably powerful (exar kun) are more a blight on the star wars universe than the fact that kotor2 used a different design for a single war droid that, for all intents and purposes, played a part in about 1/100000 of the actual game and story.

if youre going to be anal about continuity, thats your choice. but dont use existing eu material or lucasfilms track record as proof, since theyre the ones responsible for the atrocities ive stated, including beldorian the hutt jedi, which is DIRECTLY in contradiction to everything continuity says about hutts being able to be force sensitive.

Well said Knight. Not to mention the utter lack of continuity even within the ToTJ comic books, when some Jedi used protosabers and others lightsabers.

SW and continuity are like polar and nonpolar: they don't mix.

Find me one comic/book, and there's probably another comic/book that violates some fact about the former.

The basilisk war droid version presented in K2 was an intentional departure from the ones presented in Tales of the Jedi, and we are happy, because frankly, those look really stupid. This is much the same reason that many of the designs in K1 are a departure from the ship designs in TOJ, and with good reason. So yes, the basilisk droid version was an intentional depature from the older models, and we take full responsibility. It is noteworthy that LucasArts and LucasFilm agreed with our decision on the first pass, much as they agreed with the decisions made with K1's look.

I can understand that you guys wanted the "Basilisk War Droid" to look different than the concept art depicted in Tales of the Jedi, but seriously, that thing was beyond stupid looking. The moment I saw it in the game, I had no idea what it was supposed to be. Then when Kex says that it's a "Basilisk War Droid" I said, out loud, "Bullsh*t." I don't read Star Wars novels or Star Wars xomics like everyone else. I'm not even a Star Wars fanatic by any standard. I just like playing KotOR games. And I can guarantee you that the box-with-wings that you guys manifested as a Basilisk War Droid is not what anyone saw in their mind's eye when Canderous was vaguely describing the Basilisk War Droid in KotOR 1. Now, I understand that the "Basilisk War Droid" wasn't important to the story in KotOR 2 and you guys just didn't care if it looked completely, 100% half-ass, but some customers may not be so lenient when it comes to KotOR 3. We're expecting a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

Kex: The Basilisk War Droid is the epitome of lazy-ass computer game developers who don't a cannok's ass WHAT it look's like. It's been modified to accomodate a plethora vomit bags, that way you'll have something puke into in case you get a little woozy.

Exile: Oompf!

Kex: Yes, it is quite hideous, is it not? It looks the way it does because of all of the modifications. Either that or we put it back together wrong when we salvaged it.

And I can guarantee you that the box-with-wings that you guys manifested as a Basilisk War Droid is not what anyone saw in their mind's eye when Canderous was vaguely describing the Basilisk War Droid in KotOR 1.

Nice try but your wrong about that one. Especially when it hurtles through space, looks like its about to crash and pulls up at the very last second.

Lesson of the day, speak for yourself dont presume to speak for othes unless you can back it up with some evidence.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

On the subject of continuity. It's nice if the series maintains continuity in it's own backyard. IE all the movies link together to make some sort of complete series. KOTOR links together to make a complete series, the comics etc. But as for everything being the same across the board, dont really give a monkeys.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Nah...

I know, I said that. *shrug* It is continuity, it's just crap so for me it didn't happen. End of.

Like I've said, I would have quite liked to see the basilisk Beast in KotOR 2 - but, it's nothing that drives me insanely crazy and they were just a tad overpowered.

And who the hell called Exar Kun a powerful Sith lord? For the last time, the guy was a complete pansy!!! RAGHHHH!!!

Name one awesome he did on his own merit that wasn't to do with ancient Sith technology and power amulets. Also... twenty Jedi coverts is pathetic.

As Ulic Qel-Droma says in the Sith War comics himself.

"Only twenty? I have two entire ARMIES Kun"

That pretty much sums up how pants Kun is. Plus, didn't his spirit get held at bay by a three-year old lightsaber weilding Jacen? Or did I just make that up? The whole Jedi Academy thing is foggy to me.

Exar was the first powergaming Sith lord collecting all the strong goodies to became the strongest of them all, if he said "Jedi, all your base are belong to us" it would have been complete :thumbsup:

Anyways continuity approved by the big bosses of SW is nothing more then a guide line, no more no less.

You can pick the things you like from it and forget/ignore parts you think are just plain idiotic.

Its like the bible is a guideline to God, people take from it the parts that they believe in and use that to come closer to god, but not everyone takes the bible and its rules as strict as each other.

- Rimmer, Quarantine