KotOR 2's ending

did KotOR 2's ending suck?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. did KotOR 2's ending suck?

• Yes
    • No

• 1 month later...
if people insist on doing polls, i wish theyd give more options than just a "black or white" response.

i wasnt particularly enamored by the ending, but at the same time i dont think it "sucked".  wheres the option in the poll for the middle ground choice?  as it is, even if i vote for "no" since i didnt think it sucked, then that might give off the impression that i loved the ending.

can you tell i hate polls?  :)

I quite agree.. it wasn't spectacular and didn't really give you a feeling of 'ah, this is the end now, I worked hard to get here, I'm so happy!', but it did remind me of ESB, without the human component.

I voted Yes. The ending could be better if not spectacular. For the Light Side, just showing the Ebon Hawk rescuing the Exile then flying away from Malachor V and into space is not my idea of an ending for a game or movie. There is no drama. No feeling to it.

Suck would be too strong a word.

I posted this on another thread but I'll copy it here because it sums things up for me.

I think it would have seemed more complete if rather than talking to Kreia which seems like part of the game rather than an end sequence it was dealt with after the fact with a Kreia voice over, that would have been spooky.

Obviously better if it was animated, but even some still pictures with voice overs would have worked.

Although technically that little chat with Kreia was part of the ending. It didnt have that end feel to it as a cinematic summation would have.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

There really wasn't an ending to this game. The end for me on Lightside was flyihng away in a ship right after fighting Kreia.

There were two things I did like though.

The first is that you talk to Kreia and she tells you what happens too your compainions.

The second is this feeling of mystery about going off to find the Sith Lords and help Revan battle them if he/she is still alive.

Yes.

As much as I liked the rest of the game, the ending sucked.

Especially because you could "feel" that something was missing, all the work, all the evolvement of you and your npcs, the information you got fed gradually as you got closer to the end...

Jon Irenicus (bad guy from Baldurs Gate 2) summed up my thoughts pretty well: "To end, like this?!?" (actually I thought, WTF?, but the other line came to mind a few seconds later)...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The first is that you talk to Kreia and she tells you what happens too your compainions.

The second is this feeling of mystery about going off to find the Sith Lords and help Revan battle them if he/she is still alive.

That is part of the ending. It occured to me after I had played the game twice.

At that point when you are talking the battle is ended. Now your getting the conclusion.

I'm not at all suprised if people see it as part of the game though rather than part of the ending.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

That is part of the ending. It occured to me after I had played the game twice.

At that point when you are talking the battle is ended. Now your getting the conclusion.

I'm not at all suprised if people see it as part of the game though rather than part of the ending.

I think part of the problem is, it feels artificial, like a last minute stop gap measure put in there, to make a semi-legal claim of the game having an end.

I can of course only speak for my self, but what upset me was not that my journey ended (or not ended (or whatever the last cinematic is supposed to accomplish)), but the rather vague expositions (is that the right word?) that you get on your npcs destiny.

All the buildup of their skills and personality felt wasted when it wasn't used for anything in the end. Lets face it, the game was easy enough, that you didn't need power built npcs for the combat in the game, so it would be a fair assumption, that you needed to gain influence for some purpose, yet to purpose never seem to come :)

Just my 0.02c

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think part of the problem is, it feels artificial, like a last minute stop gap measure put in there, to make a semi-legal claim of the game having an end.

I can of course only speak for my self, but what upset me was not that my journey ended (or not ended (or whatever the last cinematic is supposed to accomplish)), but the rather vague expositions (is that the right word?) that you get on your npcs destiny.

All the buildup of their skills and personality felt wasted when it wasn't used for anything in the end. Lets face it, the game was easy enough, that you didn't need power built npcs for the combat in the game, so it would be a fair assumption, that you needed to gain influence for some purpose, yet to purpose never seem to come :)

Just my 0.02c

Not sure, maybe I can ask Sarah Kestleman if she was recalled for any emergency VO. I didnt even realise who she was until I saw her on Midsommer Murders on Sunday. :">

I don't like it though even if it is an ending. I like to sit back and enjoy my endings rather than clicking through them. I would have been really happy with a video of each companions fate which had Kreias voice over the top of it. Right after KOTORII I played Suikoden IV, it not only had a 30 minute ending, but it also summed up the fates of 108 characters, ok it was only a sentence or two , but it was nice and if you only had to do 10 you could devote more time to it. That one had an odd end boss sequence though (for a JRPG anyway).

I've talked to quite a few people and some people do find the game hard, or at least die a few times. One of the real negatives about death is it pulls you out of the game. On the boards you generally get a population of seasoned gamers.

478327[/snapback]

I've talked to quite a few people and some people do find the game hard, or at least die a few times. One of the real negatives about death is it pulls you out of the game. On the boards you generally get a population of seasoned gamers.

Good point. I might be the one need a bit perspective in that regard :">

I too wish for a middle option on the poll. I wouln't really say "the ending sucked", but it definitely could have been better.

When I say ending, I don't really mean the final movie, but rather, everything that happens after the Jedi council on Dantooine. It just felt a bit rushed to me. And then once I got to Malachar V, it felt very incomplete.

It's not that I hate all cliffhangers or anything. It wasn't really that part of the ending that annoyed me. Let me briefly describe my thoughts during the ending sequences...

"Well, that council sure went interestingly. Why did Kriea say that she killed me? She's planning something, that twisted little... Wait, if they take the Ebon Hawk, I'll be stuck!!"

(I quickly run to the Ebon Hawk.)

"Atton, you're wounded! Was there a battle? Did Kriea pretend to resist, maybe? Wait... how did she and Handmaiden head to Telos without a ship? And if there was a battle of some sort here, are my other companions ok?"

(Scene between Visas and Exile..."At least I know she's alive." Scene between Atris and Kreia, Ebon Hawk arrives at Telos Academy, etc.)

"Handmaiden's sisters, now this could be an issue... wait, how does the Handmaiden know Atris has been touched by the Sith? Maybe she saw Atris letting Kreia go or something. Ok, let's choose 'I won't fight you'... they aren't listening, looks like I'm going to be forced to fight anyway... oh, they're dead. Ok. Atris is coming..."

(Fight between Atris and Handmaiden. I arrive to save her. "Did Atris kill Handmaiden?!! No!" I fight Atris, defeat her in the chamber with the Holocrons.)

"Now, some answers at last. Interesting... wait! I'm stuck with either saying that I'm done with the questions, or that I'm killing Atris... I'm not done with my questions yet! Scripting error? Oh well... Handmaiden's alive! Good. Let's save Telos... wait, I never got my lightsaber."

(We arrive at Citadel Station)

"Ah, the party screen shows everyone but Kreia, so at least I know that nobody died during the fight that apparently occured on the Ebon Hawk."

(I finish Citadel Station, board the Ravager, and prepare to fight Nihilus)

"Ah, Nihilus! DIE! Funny that he'd be the Sith Lord I fight first... never would have thought that... He's dead!"

(I talk with Carth, see Bastilla's cameo, and watch as the Ebon Hawk arrives at Malachar V)

"Ah, finally, I'm going to find out what exactly happened here at M5. Ooh, nasty crash. I'm alive, but where's my party? Hello? Is anyone else alive? Hmm. Maybe they didn't come with me."

(Fight my way through M5, still wondering about the fate of my companions. Various scenes occur. The Mira scene occurs)

"So, Mira is here. But what Kreia just said implied she's the only person here aside from me... why the heck would I take Mira and leave everyone else behind? Maybe I tried to leave everyone behind, but Mira followed in another ship? Who knows. Ok, Mira's now going... somewhere..."

(Remote and GO-TO scenes occur)

"Remote! So I guess Bao-Dur is here... or is he? Why's he speaking to his remote by hologram? What are the Mass Shadow Generators? Hmm. Maybe once I power them up I'll learn more... GO-TO! So I guess he is here also..."

(Final Academy fights occur. I kill Sion, and finally encounter Kreia. At sometime, though I can't remember exactly when, the Ebon Hawk plunges to it's apparent doom, and I am left wondering if any of my companions were still trapped inside it.)

"Interesting... I'm still confused, though. Interesting. Die, Kreia, Die! Ah, the end... ok, I guess they are assuming by the ending speeches that I am going to follow Revan and leave everyone behind... ok. What if I didn't want to do that? What if I wanted to stay and teach others? What if I'm tired of wandering by myself in exile? Didn't Kriea say something about that... hmm. What if I'm stubborn, and don't want to listen to Kreia, and DO want to take someone with me on my search for Revan? Oh well. Rest, Kriea"

(Ebon Hawk appears and rescues me. Malachar V is doing... something. End credits)

"Wait... didn't the Ebon Hawk just plunge to it's doom a little bit ago?

Wait... what about Remote and GO-TO?

So did the Mass Shadow Generators activate?

I guess I'm going in search of Revan."

I'm hoping future playthroughs will help me understand parts of the end better.

Without absorbing the entire story I felt like I was stabbed in the chest when I saw the Ebon Hawk flying away and no type of ceremony. Plus the music they play at the end, LS, is so sad... not pathetic sad but break down in tears sad. If I would be able to see my crew and say "We're off to find Revan" then roll credits I think it would have been a better cliff hanger ending. But to suffice to say I accept the ending more so now rather than when I first ended the game.

Yes, the music ... that piece is Jeremy Soule. Gotta love that guy.

I couldn't vote in this poll, because my answer was an unqualified 'yes and no.' So I'll just add a reply. :ph34r:

The first time I finished the game, I just sat there thinking that I screwed up somewhere in my conversation choices or something, that I missed something incredibly important and should find and replay that critical part. Then I got mad when I found out most of the ending was cut out, and wasn't even accessible no matter how you did it. And then I got over it, and replayed K1, and K2 twice more, looking for the more positive things it did as a whole. It was a good game, all things considered. And of course, I love the larger story--Revan's story.

'Yes' the end sucked. The sense of completion is shortchanged, because fictional conventions dictate a certain sense of closure, even if this is part of a trilogy. Take it as a 'story within a story', and it doesn't work. That satisfaction in seeing your companions again didn't come, the story felt forced, and I felt cheated. I don't take that from novels or movies, and in a game it's worse, because you worked to get it. Knowing that Obsidian actually didn't plan it that way and had a good story ending vindicates them somewhat, but it still makes me sad. It could have been so much better.

'No', it didn't. The elements are there, if by fairly crude method. Once you are past the point of feeling that you were just hit between the eyes, it's adequate. It has its redeeming grace in the eventual realization that Kreia intended this event to happen this way, just like she manipulated everything else. And that she didn't do it just because she was evil. She did it for you, and for the galaxy. And it's at this point that she also 'saves' the game. Poetic, or ironic?.

The whole story was overcooked to a point that it ended up being a rambling pointless mess - Kotor 1 had a far simpler story with one great twist that was a lot more powerful and absorbing in the telling.

Kotor 2 tries to weave in too many twists between good and evil and frequently I was disatisfied with the options I was given both in dialogue and action. In the end I think it would have been very difficult to create a good ending.

There were too many baddies - that guy on the beat up Star Destroyer was built up as a real nasty but then you kick his butt real easy before taking on Mr.Hellraiser and the old Biddy - didnt make any sense. 2 baddies is quite enough thanks. And Keira kills 3 Jedi Masters but I took her out very quickly with my lightsaber and a battle stim. And quite frankly I knew Keira was trouble from the start and if the game had let me I would have killed her straight away.

If Lucas Arts told Obsidian they had a 12 month deadline then Obsidian should have kept it short and simple. Keep the crew to a maximum of say ... 6 or 7 dont bother adding loads more kit or force powers - that just slowed the game down as you found yourself wading through list of upgrades and trying to remember who had what.

Since they were reusing the engine they could then focus on making large worlds with plenty of ppl in them to interact with - most of the worlds in Kotor2 felt empty in comparison to Kotor1.

The ending made the entire game pointless. It sucked like nothing I've ever seen before. The ending alone CRUSHED the rest of the entire game for me. It was simply that bad. I don't really see how anyone can see anything good in it at all. It was rushed, it was ugly ( KotORII simply has awful CG's, yuck! ), and it was utterly pointless. A good cliffhanger ending is something that should leave you in excitement and curiosity, not anger and disappointment.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

Guest Dowie100

It was better than:

Halo 2: Shudder, thats the most terrible ending ever!

Half Life 2: Even worse than KOTOR2, wtf easiest battle in game, then credits, everyone dead, YAY :blink:

The ending wasn't satisfying...that's all. I don't think it 'sucked' tho. Just left too many things too ambiguous or plain forgotten.

What I mostly disliked about the endgame however, is

that you end up being solo for so long. I know the cut-story/scenes has something to do with that, but even so, it still annoys me. If I spend hours building party members up, I want to use them, damnit. :blink:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think you forget that Obsidian got only so much time to work on K2, courtesy of LucasArts. With such a limited time, I think that working on the ideal ending was kind of a luxury they couldnt afford. Look at the missing content everyone just wishes to be restored (including me) - it would be a long, hard work to make such content a reality (the already-existant voices are only a few steps on that road).

Yes, the ending wasnt satisfying, to say the least, but I've seen far worse games with far worse endings. Though I found myself much more satisfied with K1, K2 still ranks high in my list. There arent many good RPGs out there, real RPGs, not some diablo-style crap that gets boring after you kill the 1001th monster.

The ending didnt ruin all the game, and anyone who says it does is being way overdramatic. It was a bad ending, I wont argue, especially compared to some other endings I've seen, but the game itself is still very good compared to most games.

I think you forget that Obsidian got only so much time to work on K2, courtesy of LucasArts. With such a limited time, I think that working on the ideal ending was kind of a luxury they couldnt afford. Look at the missing content everyone just wishes to be restored (including me) - it would be a long, hard work to make such content a reality (the already-existant voices are only a few steps on that road).

Yes, the ending wasnt satisfying, to say the least, but I've seen far worse games with far worse endings. Though I found myself much more satisfied with K1, K2 still ranks high in my list. There arent many good RPGs out there, real RPGs, not some diablo-style crap that gets boring after you kill the 1001th monster.

The ending didnt ruin all the game, and anyone who says it does is being way overdramatic. It was a bad ending, I wont argue, especially compared to some other endings I've seen, but the game itself is still very good compared to most games.

I agree. Despite the fact that I was very disappointed with the ending, I'm already replaying the game.

I played KotOR about three times. Once as LS male, once as DS male, and once as mostly LS female. (I saved the game before the final choice so that I could try out both the DS and LS female endings. Poor Carth... hehe.)

Yet with KotOR II, I have played LS male, am in the middle of playing DS male, plan on playing both LS and DS female, and also want to do another DS male and another LS male. Despite the fact that I'm disappointed in the ending, I will probably end up going through KotOR II twice as many times as the first game, so Obsidian must have done something right.