Civilization IV

Darth Reven

Call to Power isn't a real civilization game is it?

the all powerful, all credit-taking Sid Meier must put his name on it before it's a real Civilization product .. afaik..

Sid nor Brian were involved in any way with the CTP line. The devs of CTP bought the rights from microprose to use the civ name, for their civ type game. They felt they could do a pseudo-civ3, thats what CTP was supposed to be in their eyes. Well the first one did fair at retail but the second if I recall tanked. Then sid and microprose made up, and he made the official civ3.

CTP has no direct or indirect (aside from the civ title) relation to Sid or his work.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Civ 3 is a failure.

In fact it's been a long time since Sid Meyer has made a good game.

He didn't even do the work on Alpha Centauri, Bryan Reynolds did... they just put Sid's name on it to sell it.

You are too bad with him Darque, some friends called me very well about Pirates ;)

I've heard Pirates isn't that good though <_<

It doesn't matter if civ3 is a crap game.

The "just one more turn" psychology gets me everytime.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Pirates is a very decent game. It's very close to the original in all but some details.

I played it for only a few weeks though... I guess Sid could have been a bit more original and really added some more interesting content.

And I also have foud the AI in Civ III to be extreamly hard on the easiest level.

Are you kidding? :ermm:

The AI in Civ3 does cheat but you have a huge advantage on the easiest level. Things did get a bit harder with the expansions, but Chieftain level was really easy.

I remember that for me Regent was where things started to get hard in Civ3.

The trick on the easier levels is to expand as quickily as possible.

Heja Sverige!!

And I also have foud the AI in Civ III to be extreamly hard on the easiest level.

Are you kidding? :ermm:

The AI in Civ3 does cheat but you have a huge advantage on the easiest level. Things did get a bit harder with the expansions, but Chieftain level was really easy.

Said it to the AI, in less than 10 mins of game I was at war against Russians, French and English, and I didn't anything against them.

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

"And I also have foud the AI in Civ III to be extreamly hard on the easiest level."

with risk of sounding like a total jerk and showoff .. I find the easy levels .. well .. extremely easy!! Although I play the game quite extensively I would in no way consider myself particular good at it! (get utterly beaten in multiplayer with friends) are you just exaggerating to make a point?? :ermm:

though I do find it impossible on the second and highest difficulty!

Fortune favors the bald.

Are you kidding? o:)

This is my first Civilization Game, and I got Civ3Complete.

Rome .. Risk?

no not even close! .. have you played the other games in the series??

the map is a bit like Medieval, but now in 3d animation (you can't rotate but still) .. the main difference is that your armies now have move points .. so instead of moving from province to province pr turn you now march you armies through the land.. (and navies play much different and are much more important)

and then it's just like the other games, there are provinces which are controlled by a single town, when you capture that town you capture the province! battles are now done in a great 3d, fully rotateable, enviroment and every unit is animated instead of being small blocks in 2d ..

I think it's an absolutely great game! although in the very beginning it can seem a bit confusing .. it's more extensive in all aspects, but unfortunatly the ending suck noodles! very anti-climatic! but then again, all the Total War games was like this .. you just get a short (here even shorter) video and then boom .. done .. start over!

but it's the battles and the management aspect that keeps you coming back .. and here Rome: Total War delivers without a doubt! the battles are absolutely great and the managment is just as good as any of the other games!

so if you like Shogun or Medieval then Rome is the game for you!!

Fortune favors the bald.

Civ series is great, but I still love Hearts of Iron & Europa Universalis II.

yeah forgot about Europa Universalis II! that's a great game!!

and that's talking about hard, that game really requires some devoted time to learn!!

Europa Universalis II, Hearts of Iron, Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun, Crusader Kings, they are all good games except, for me at least, Crusader Kings :p

And now Q1 2005 Hearts of Iron II ;)

I remember a CGW review of Hearts of Iron that said that the game had awful AI. Is that true?

Heja Sverige!!

It does. I was disappointed with Hearts of Iron. It was especially bad when compared to Europa Universalis II.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I remember a CGW review of Hearts of Iron that said that the game had awful AI. Is that true?

Some times the AI is very stupid, you can be playing with Germany, and after defeat the France, Holland, Luxemburg, Poland and USSR you can find some of your allies changing the side (for example in one game Spain joined the allies after the english gave them Gibraltar), but with the patches the AI is more intelligent.

(and navies play much different and are much more important)

The only reason to use navies is if you want to quickly move an army across a body of water. Otherwise they are totally useless. No point in using them as you can almost never win battles with them except when you have a large size advantage over the enemy, at least on the higher difficulty settings.

The game can be beaten quite easily without navies for every nation with the sole exception of Britian I think. Can't remember if they start with a city on the mainland...

(and navies play much different and are much more important)

The only reason to use navies is if you want to quickly move an army across a body of water. Otherwise they are totally useless. No point in using them as you can almost never win battles with them except when you have a large size advantage over the enemy, at least on the higher difficulty settings.

The game can be beaten quite easily without navies for every nation with the sole exception of Britian I think. Can't remember if they start with a city on the mainland...

Britain starts with a city in Continental Europe, just north of Alesia, their first war is usually against the Germany.

Then if that is the case, no nation in the game needs navies. Not even to protect your own ports as the AI thus far doesn't not choose to blockade them even when they have 50 million ships at thier disposal.

hmm they do in my games .. all the time actually! I have never played a game where my navy didn't come in quite handy!! although we agree on the fact that armies are much much more important! but sea battles are a major factor in all of my playthroughs! (unless I'm Germania or the likes)

but I like to have a strong navy and a strong army .. because it's much faster to sail your entire invasion to, say Egypt, instead of marching there!

Fortune favors the bald.