Civilization IV

Darth Reven

Hopefully never.

They need to make Alpha Centauri 2 before they make another crappy Civilization game. :thumbsup:

...? What was crappy with the Civilization series?

I Agree, Alpha Centauri was good, Civilization was brilliant too. In fact, the only thing in AC that was better than Civ IMO, was simultaneous turns in multiplayer.

Thing is, I adored Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri, so I ripped Civ 3 off the shelves the day it was released... and I freaking hated it. The cheating AI made it nearly impossible to survive, and was so frustrating that I felt like throwing my computer out the window. I managed to win one game, then tossed the CD aside, whereas I've played Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri probably two dozen times.

If Civ 4 goes back the Civ 2 roots, then I'm ecstatic. If it's going to be more Civ 3 "let's screw with the player, muhahaha" crap, then I won't bother.

Hopefully never.

They need to make Alpha Centauri 2 before they make another crappy Civilization game. :thumbsup:

...? What was crappy with the Civilization series?

I Agree, Alpha Centauri was good, Civilization was brilliant too. In fact, the only thing in AC that was better than Civ IMO, was simultaneous turns in multiplayer.

Let's see... they made Civ... and it was good... they made Civ 2 and it was better... they made AC and it was fantastic... at this point we're doing awesome... then they made Civ 3 and took several steps backwards... :)

Call to Power 1 was pretty good. I played the heck out of that game. CTP 2, however, was just a stripped down CTP1 repackaged and wih better graphics. Never tried Civ 3, as CTP2 killed any potential enjoyment from any more Civ games for me.

AC was great, and I would definitely buy a sequel that maintained the fun, ingenuity, and spirit of the original.

Thing is, I adored Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri, so I ripped Civ 3 off the shelves the day it was released... and I freaking hated it.  The cheating AI made it nearly impossible to survive, and was so frustrating that I felt like throwing my computer out the window.  I managed to win one game, then tossed the CD aside, whereas I've played Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri probably two dozen times.

If Civ 4 goes back the Civ 2 roots, then I'm ecstatic.  If it's going to be more Civ 3 "let's screw with the player, muhahaha" crap, then I won't bother.

civ 2 sucked ass! it was boring and the ai was abysmal...

civ 1, however, is a classic that we all should adore and love. whereas civ 2 was a horrible mistake, civ3 is the natural continuation of civ 1. albeit, the multiplayer is laggy as hell and the ai isn't perfect, it is still a brilliant game.

my problem with civ 3, are the different levels of difficulty. this "let the ai cheat" thing is pretty boring and stupid. better ai should be the solution...

civ 2 sucked ass! it was boring and the ai was abysmal...

civ 1, however, is a classic that we all should adore and love. whereas civ 2 was a horrible mistake, civ3 is the natural continuation of civ 1. albeit, the multiplayer is laggy as hell and the ai isn't perfect, it is still a brilliant game.

my problem with civ 3, are the different levels of difficulty. this "let the ai cheat" thing is pretty boring and stupid. better ai should be the solution...

Civ 2 was the best of all civs, afaik (I never played Civ 1). Civ 3 indeed had a crappy multiplayer support, and it just didn't have the Civ 2 "feel". AC offered a better MP support, but I didn't like the whole "planet" thing and the futuristic atmosphere of the game.

Civilization I, good game

Civilization II, better than Civ I

Call to Power I, was very good too

Alpha Centaury and his expansion were very nice

Call to Power II and Civilization III were the worst of the saga <_<

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

Call to Power isn't a real civilization game is it?

the all powerful, all credit-taking Sid Meier must put his name on it before it's a real Civilization product .. afaik..

The way to play Call to Power is the same that Civilization, are almost the same game

Nope, Civ 1 is best. Civ 2 was great, but making me pay for my barracks really sucked! rat bastards!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The cheating AI made it nearly impossible to survive, and was so frustrating that I felt like throwing my computer out the window.

Um, cheating AI? I just borrowed Civ 3 from a friend and started a game in the wimpy difficulty level. I must say I'm getting my ass handed to me by the other 8 civs who like to gangbang on me while keeping perfectly friendly relationships with each other. Not to mention they can wage war and at the same time research much faster than I can. I find it rather frustrating that a prehistoric warrior unit can stand up to and force my knights to withdraw from battle but hey... :lol:

If you know for a fact that the AI cheats, I think I'm going back to CTP1 real soon. <_<

Call to Power isn't a real civilization game is it?

the all powerful, all credit-taking Sid Meier must put his name on it before it's a real Civilization product .. afaik..

That's what I heard, too. CTP1 was called Civilization back when it was released though. Apparently things went bitter with Sid and since then they aren't allowed to use the Civilization name.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

For a fact, the AI cheats in all of the Civ games. In Civ 3, the game is really bad.

I remember breaking into civ one and two and looking to see what happens at higher levels. It costs less food to grow. The production values for units and buildings are less. The happiness factor is almost entirely mitigated.

Civ 3, though... Well, it's a game designed entirely around the bragging rights for folks who like to boast about how hard the game is.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Civ 3 is a failure.

In fact it's been a long time since Sid Meyer has made a good game.

He didn't even do the work on Alpha Centauri, Bryan Reynolds did... they just put Sid's name on it to sell it.

I see. Well, it seems I won't be bringing about any more nuclear holocausts circa 1700 AD. I never was a l33t civ player but I was getting really frustrated with this one.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

To be fair, I understand that Civ 4 will be an entirely new model. That's something that the developers couldn't claim for Alpha Centauri. We'll see how it plays, but I'm waiting until I hear from some friends before I buy this one.

Obsidian Plays

Nope, Civ 1 is best.  Civ 2 was great, but making me pay for my barracks really sucked!  rat bastards!

Damn them! How dare they make you pay for buildings! :cool:

I picked up Civ3 in a dual pack with Civ2: Test of Time. I had lost my ToT disc a while back and went into the store to try out Civ3 but I saw the dual pack for $17. On the shelf above it was Civ3 by itself selling for $42. I would have payed the $17 for Civ2 alone so I consider Civ3 a freebie. o:)

To be fair, I understand that Civ 4 will be an entirely new model.  That's something that the developers couldn't claim for Alpha Centauri.  We'll see how it plays, but I'm waiting until I hear from some friends before I buy this one.

Umm.. new model?

You start at the begining of human civilization and progress to modern times all the while slapping down your enemies...

I can't see that changing much...

Civ 3 is a failure.

In fact it's been a long time since Sid Meyer has made a good game.

He didn't even do the work on Alpha Centauri, Bryan Reynolds did... they just put Sid's name on it to sell it.

You are too bad with him Darque, some friends called me very well about Pirates :)