Video Games and ''real'' life

JonIrenicus

When I went to bed last night some odd but important questions came to my mind.

Can these two things video games and "real life" be mixed?

I mean whats more important?To stay inside and become ''sick'' of BG2 or PST or get out make more relationships?

I think that people who are "addicts" to video games are trying somehow to escape real life and thats bad...really bad for the human society.I can think of some people that have illusions about life,they almost think they live in a video game. :unsure:

Moreover I know that some of these forum members have family,kids etc

I dont know how can they do that.

I think that the only reason that attracts me in video games any more are some companies like Obsidian that they really how to make a game entertaining.

Anyway these are my thoughts and I would like to share yours but I if you have not something to tell please dont. :o

Life... is strength. That is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world

I don't know if this will contribute, but I'll try...

After playing KotOR,my mind would be so fucked up that i would see choices of what to say to people, and i would also say some of the alien phrases...

A little off topic: Does anyone else have kind of like conspiracy theories that the world is smaller than we perceive it to be, kind of like the ending on MIB? Anybody?

After playing KotOR,my mind would be so fucked up that i would see choices of what to say to people, and i would also say some of the alien phrases...

I would like to have choices like that in real life.

> Do you have any idea how fast you were going?

No officer, how fast was I going?

No dumbass, how could I possibly know that?

Not fast enough...

There is nothing wrong with playing videogames, as long as you know the difference between fantasy world and reality. Those who don't should get professional help, or a life.

The purpose of videogames is entertainment,nothing more. :p

If you can keep your social life and your gaming life seperate, then that's fine. If your social group talks about gaming, -that's- fine. However, if you actively talk to Drizzt and Elminster on a regular basis, that is not okay.

If you regularly worship Drizzt and Elminster, then you're stupid and addicted. If you regularly slag off Drizzt adn Elminster, then you're very addicted. :wacko:

Humor is fine guys but I think this is serious.Or it is not? ;)

And it is not about me.I have been playing video games for more than 15 years and surely now I can seperate social life from video gaming.

You talk about balance and entertainment.Well look at the Neverwinter Nights 2 topics and tell me if you can say the same :unsure:

Life... is strength. That is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world

I don't know if this will contribute, but I'll try...

A little off topic: Does anyone else have kind of like conspiracy theories that the world is smaller than we perceive it to be, kind of like the ending on MIB? Anybody?

fcuk me! :lol: i thought that was only me! i thought i was starting to go a little tapped in the head from playing countless hours so i never told nobody, good to know theres someone else.

and yes i have thought that but my little mind cant quite grasp something on that scale so my mind just automatically switches to something else like when you try and think of the vastness of the universe ;)

There is nothing wrong with playing videogames, as long as you know the difference between fantasy world and reality. Those who don't should get professional help, or a life.

The purpose of videogames is entertainment,nothing more.  ;)

Life is spent how someone chooses. I find the phrase 'no life' quite egotistical and stupid. Maybe it's more reasonable then it seems to me and I'm being too harsh, but it's just very stupid phrase to judge someone upon IMO.

I've played video games quite a bit the last 2 years. I've been told I have no life by people in online games because I kick their ass. lol. I find most the time when people say that they have no concept of what a life is anyway(wake up, drive 2 work, do robot work in a box, drive home, etc, lol). I travel, see, do, and experience many more things then the average life of a human. And I don't consider those that don't leave their city to have no life. Or those that don't leave their room. lol.

But I agree those that play a video game so much as to have their realities highly altered as result could probably benefit in something else for a change. lol.

"I would like to have choices like that in real life.

> Do you have any idea how fast you were going?

No officer, how fast was I going?

No dumbass, how could I possibly know that?

Not fast enough..."

You do have those choices.... lol.. And many more. Did you mean like be abl to go back a save if you screw up? lol. FUnny how thought converted to text is inadequate in many ways :)

Ambrosia3.gif

You do have those choices....  lol.. And many more.  Did you mean like be abl to go back a save if you screw up? lol.  FUnny how thought converted to text is inadequate in many ways ;)

Thought and text seem to be inseparable with you. I saw that you had posted in this thread, and thought to myself he's going to reply to my post...and make himself look like an idiot while he's doing it.

It never fails.

well, there are 2 people on this board who live on kotor. they dont post here much, bt still not gonna say the names because they might say 'take that back or ill sue you' and fill up my email box with all their pms like they did last time. but anyway, living with only games is pathetic.

I am honored to be seen as an idiot by one of such paleolithic knuckle walking simian perception as yourself. lol.

Monkey perception? Crappy flames are crappy flames, so don't waste time and energy trying to make them sound better by repeating yourself a dozen times.

*plays video games pretty much 24/7*

*also gets laid on occasion*

I... uhh... I fail to see the problem. I mean, I've used video games as a kind of escape from reality at times, sure, but in itself that's not really a bad thing. Sometimes I want to escape reality, and I don't see how video games is sort of worse than any regular old mind-altering substance.

Of course, someone addicted to video games to the point that they're actually suffering from it is bad, yeah... but then we really don't need to have a discussion. That'd be like asking if it's unhealthy to be addicted to crack. Of course any kind of addiction that one suffers from in one way or another is bloody well harmful. I think this is one of those situations where we just have to use common sense.

I used to play Tetris on a Gameboy so much that when I fell asleep at night I spent the entire night dreaming about falling tetris-pieces and feeling frustrated because I couldn't clear the playing board (as in getting rid of every little piece from the board in one perfect combination).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!