instant jedi

Can anyone explain how it's possible, realistically within the starwars universe, that your party are just able to turn into jedi. as I understand it takes decades of training just to be able to use a light saber so that u don't cut your own limbs off. How does this training your party inti jedi aspect make any sense.

Can anyone explain how it's possible, realistically within the starwars universe, that  your party are just able to turn into jedi.  as I understand it takes decades of training just to be able to use a light saber so that u don't cut your own limbs off. How does this training your party inti jedi aspect make any sense.

It doesn't really.

It's because your character, being a tear in the force, attracted some of the most force-sensitive people in the galaxy.

I also think it's less hard to master a lightsabre in this day and age, you know, since energy shields have made Swords and Vibroblades an integral part of battle again.

personally do think it was kind of lame the way you could turn Atton, Disciple, Handmaiden, Bao-Dur, and Mira into Jedi, like was said above it would have been more rewarding, and more in line with the starwars universe to only have one apprentice, and have it take alot of time and effort to make them a jedi

Yes, because it took Luke Skywalker decades before he was wielding a lightsaber and facing down the Empire and his father.

actually esb only took place three years after episode 4. so at max it only took three years for luke to be ready for dueling. and if you read any of the eu, events show that luke was using a saber well before episode 5.

If 80's movies have taught us anything, it's that all you need to do to go from being a total novice to a master at anything is to have a 3 minute montage.

Preferably with a cheesy 80's rock song added to the soundtrack.

I don't even understand how lucasarts could allow this considering that they had such a close eye on things, giving the big O all kinds of rules and guide lines but then just letting the turn characters into jedi overnight. It doesn't make sense, and in this type of game where continuty and history are so important to the universe and story of starwars as a whole, it just doesn't make sense. It leaves such a gap that it leaves the rest of the story in doubt.

Personally I loved the fact that you could turn your party into jedi!

It was a interesting concept for the game! :)

You still had to level them so they didnt become instant Jedi Masters, they learned as you traveled togather, so their learning was done through actual examples rather then books.

Its interesting to note here since these new jedi are NOT bound by the tired old Jedi code of ethics they have much much much more flexability.

Frankly, even though I liked the 80s movies, I always found the jedi (ala Luke "let me whine somemore" Skywalker) to be a wimpy whinny sort. These new jedi are driven by their own code of ethics and morales rather then some outdated teachings of religion.

All in all I think being able to get padawens was a great idea and the first time through I must admit I POPPED huge when I turned my first party NPC into a Jedi!!!! (of course I stayed away from all boards and write ups prior to playing so I could enjoy the full effect of the game and be surprised rather then know stuff like this was doable before hand).

Frankly, even though I liked the 80s movies, I always found the jedi (ala Luke "let me whine somemore" Skywalker) to be a wimpy whinny sort. These new jedi are driven by their own code of ethics and morales rather then some outdated teachings of religion.

All in all I think being able to get padawens was a great idea and the first time through I must admit I POPPED huge when I turned my first party NPC into a Jedi!!!! (of course I stayed away from all boards and write ups prior to playing so I could enjoy the full effect of the game and be surprised rather then know stuff like this was doable before hand).

Uh...that sounds kinda creepy....

But anyway, I've stood by long enough, I can't let my favorite Star Wars character be bashed any longer. I just don't see how Luke was considered a whiner. Oh sure, he wanted to go to a station for some power converters, but how does that make him a whiner? I'm sure everyone has done some kind of whineing, alot worse than Skywalker.

turning your party into jedi was the best thing about this game HANDS DOWN!

Look and the game assumes you spend lots of time in travel time. this is hinted at in many of the conversations with your NPC.

So you can assume that much time is spent in that time training with the lightsaber.

It takes more time than a load screen to get from Dantooine to Nar Shadda.

After the battle with Traya on Malachor you get the chance to ask her about the future of your companions. She answers something along the lines with "You travel with them for so long and yet you do not know them at all. They were the lost jedi, the true Jedi on which the future will be built. The simply needed a leader and a teacher."

I'm not sure what this means since it doesn't fit in with the characters backstory at all but it sure seems interesting. What does she means by Jedi? I mean, sure they were force sensitive and all but Jedi?

Feel free to discuss...

Personally I loved the fact that you could turn your party into jedi!

It was a interesting concept for the game! :)

I thought the party member Jedi conversion was a great concept as well, but seriously, that's rather disturbing. ;)

manthing2.jpg

Can anyone explain how it's possible, realistically within the starwars universe, that  your party are just able to turn into jedi.  as I understand it takes decades of training just to be able to use a light saber so that u don't cut your own limbs off. How does this training your party inti jedi aspect make any sense.

Well as someone who collects swords, I can tell you that normal blades have weight to them, a lightsaber all the weight is just in the hilt. That's a big difference. One of my co-workers tried holding one of my collection incorrectly near the pommel and insisted that nobody could use it because it was too heavy, he probably would have injured himself had I not showed him the proper way to hold and swing the blade.

Most of your party members were able to use vibroblades.

Someone who has experience with other blades would probably learn easier than someone who's never touched even a regular sword, the difference is the balance and being able to put the blade where you want it when you swing. Knowing where the blade is without looking.

They offer fencing courses at some universities, it does not take decades to learn swordsmanship. Get involved with a local SCA group (medieval re-enactment)sometime, they build fake swords and armor and have competition.

As far as the force abilities go, it didn't take Luke long to learn how to deflect stingshots from the training remote, much jedi knowledge had been lost by then and he had to slowly reconstruct the teachings after Ben's death, but what Ben tought him en-route to Alderaan was easily picked up. Although they glossed over this, hyperspace is not instantanious and it would take hours to months to get from one end of the galaxy to another (movies don't have that kind of time so they skip ahead a bit).

I think the game engine does a reasonable job considering that some pen and paper things just can't be done with a computer. You should check out the d20 players guide sometime, during the rebellion era of play, you could only start down the path of a jedi guardian after 2nd level in another class and it would be slow going without a teacher (much the same circumstances). You certainly couldn't advance to knighthood (7th level) until you've undergone some sort of trial or test by someone with more advanced training. Part of that includes building a lightsaber something that must be done before 7th level.