"Night Watch"

zer"0"

Came across this and thought it worth sharing.

Nival Interactive, a Russian based developer mostly known for "Silent Storm","Blitzkrieg" and games like "Rage of Mages", "Evil Islands" etc. Is busy working on a new game called Nightwatch.

Nightwatch is based on material from Russian writer Lukyanenko and will be using the Silent Storm Engine. Situated in the not so distant future. The game will have you battle vampires, werewolves and other creatures throughout various European cities.

No release date announced yet.

And the best news? ... Its Turnbased!

Here are the links and some more info.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=22317

http://www.nival.com/nightwatch_ru

* You begin your adventure as a weak 7th level other, - 7th is the weakest, first the most powerful level.

* Classes:

-shapeshifter

-sorcerer

-warrior wizard

* Complex magic system.

* Detailed NPCs that are exactly like their prototypes from russian writer Lukyanenko's "Watch" books. They have their own agendas, fears, wishes and will interact accordingly in game.

* A fascinating plot about the intrigues of the Great Mages. Storyline is revealed through clues ingame.

* Fully destructable environment using the upgraded Silent Storm Engine.

Hmm, dunno what to think about this, but it SOUNDS promising. Then, again, so do a lot of things nowadays... <_<

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

And the best news? ... Its Turnbased!

SHOCK HORROR!!

Why Role-Player? a turn based game can be at least as fun as a real time game, remember Panzer General, Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate, Final Liberation: Epic 40K, Silent Storm, etc. :ermm:

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

I'm pretty sure Role-player likes turnbased games.  He's being a little cynical because many publishers say there's no market for turnbased stuff. o:)

Well, Nivals SStorm did pretty poorly over here. TO the point that their having trouble releasing the expansion here.

I seriously doubt that this game has an easy time making it to the states.

I'm pretty sure Role-player likes turnbased games.  He's being a little cynical because many publishers say there's no market for turnbased stuff. :)

Well, Nivals SStorm did pretty poorly over here. TO the point that their having trouble releasing the expansion here.

According to Gamespot, Silent Storm managed to sell less than 20k copies (SS won the "Best Game No One Played" award) :(

I'm pretty sure Role-player likes turnbased games.  He's being a little cynical because many publishers say there's no market for turnbased stuff. :(

This was posted by Serge Orlovsky a couple of weeks ago in Nival's forum. I'd imagine that one of the "next projects" he is referring to is Night Watch.

Hi,

We are aware of distribution problems of S2 and S3. Unfortunately we can't improve it, since we are not publishers, and contracts for these projects were signed long ago. I'm sorry for this and can assure you that our next projects will have a MUCH better distribution in both States and EU.

Regards,

Serge

I'm pretty sure Role-player likes turnbased games.  He's being a little cynical because many publishers say there's no market for turnbased stuff. >_<

But it sold quite well in Europe (can't give you an easy link, I'm sorry, developer friend gave me some comparisons with the US NPD numbers but I've forgotten the exact numbers). So, does that prove TB games don't sell in the US, US gamers don't like Russian games, Europeans do like Tb games -- or that Encore sucks as a distributor? I can fully understand why some publishers think this way but I'm not convinced it's quite that black and white.

It isn't black and white, but without a recent mega hit in-terms of TB RPGs, it's kind of "what have you done for me lately".

About that guys comments, I simply won't buy that S3 isn't seeing backing because of some goof up. SS didn't sell here, thats why you you won't see the expansion here.

"Complex magic system."

This tells me nothing whatsoever. Complex how?

3 classes and all mages are not really that impressive.

Destroying terrain is fun; but not exactly moving me role-playing wise.

TB combat cna be good; but lacking physical combat (minus the warrior mage) the options may very well be lacking at leats until they explain the combat system in detail.

Charcetrs may be good.

Basically, to sum it up, we shall see..

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It isn't black and white, but without a recent mega hit in-terms of TB RPGs, it's kind of "what have you done for me lately".

A Classic Greyhawk Adventure sold quite well. It was Atari's third (or second) best-selling PC game in 2003 or something.

About that guys comments, I simply won't buy that S3 isn't seeing backing because of some goof up. SS didn't sell here, thats why you you won't see the expansion here.

It's like the Deer Hunter series, or the NFL in Spain thy almost not sale anything then the company decided not to sale the games here.

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA