Why are you here?

MortalHarmony

When I participated in the Guild Wars beta event someone suggested to me to buy Neverwinter Nights. I didnt really know about the game and once I did some research I found out the concept and the community is very cool.

I got the game last month, Platinum Edition. I havent played that much because the character system is very frustrating. Its like my character's info didnt carry onto the next chapter and when I played a module with that character I got another version of him in the character list. Soon I will figure all this out, the game seems very complex.

I plan on becoming a builder. Programming is a fun little hobby for me and I would love to create some of my own adventures.

My dream job is to be a writer for Bioware. I thought since Obsidian is a fairly new company, I can recieve some tips for writing because the community is small. I recently became obsessed with bioware's games, havent played them all yet but I think the community for bioware and obsidian is amazing with writers, roleplayers, and programmers.

Neverwinter Nights 2 will hopefully be less complex and I hope to effect the game by posting on these forums. I am also following Dragon Age as much as I am NWN2. Dragon Age looks awesome and once some NWN2 screenshots arrive DA is at the top of my list.

I currently play World of Warcraft on the Garona server.

I got the game last month, Platinum Edition. I havent played that much because the character system is very frustrating. Its like my character's info didnt carry onto the next chapter and when I played a module with that character I got another version of him in the character list. Soon I will figure all this out, the game seems very complex.

Heh.. that should bring things back into perspective... some folks are just now getting to the party. Having had each (OC, SoU, HotU) on the release date, NWN's been on my hard drive for years now. It's refreshing to see new blood.

As for the game, I'd recommend you start with a new character when you play SoU. That PC will carry on through HotU. The character in the OC won't be conducive to that... it will be too high in level to enjoy it. IMO, SoU+HotU is what the OC should have been.

I'm a player. I own a copy of both expansions and have many single player mods, i have a million and one haks in place, including the PRC (which is awsome) but i dont know how much longer i can keep NWN from becoming boring. Just as all hope seemed lost i heard about NWN2 and decided to pay homage on this forum.

1) Why are you here?

I read an article in PC Gamer, and was really interested when I read about Strongholds and wanted to see what it was all about since I really enjoyed NeverWinter Nights and its expansions. Followed a few links, ended up here, finally decided I might as well throw in a few words edgewise as well.

2) What sort of NWN user are you? A) A player? B) A Builder? C) A developer of custom content?

Definitely "A", a player.

3) Do you play online? Do you play in PWs (Persistant Worlds)?

I have in the past played online, even some PWs, but because of the slow connections where I lived, downloading and playing SP modules and content is about the only thing I am able to really enjoy to its fullest.

4) Would you class yourself as a roleplayer or a powergamer?

Umm, roleplayer mostly, to the point where I don't give a rat's arse about equipment or stats where it doesn't seem important to my characters small view but at times, if my character's goals are aimed towards combat, social, or prestige prowress, you could say I "powergame".

5) What is your background in RPGs?

Only a few P&P games, always using other peeps stuff, but cRPGs, I like to think I've tried ALOT. MUDs, ASCII dungeons, text based adventures - y'know, stuff like Zork and what not, some of it online. Some NES (console) stuff, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy (never played a whole game) and what not. Even some Diablo quite a few years ago now and a dabble of ESIII: Morrowind and actually hacked my way all through Dungeon Seige. But I am still trying to get my hands on a hard copy of Fallout and Fallout 2 ... and I thought XCOM: UFO Defense was a blast, as well as the little bit of Star Control I've played - I geuss it all depends how loosely you use the term "RPG", since I think Halflife I got to play a role. Hehe, haven't even played Baldur's Gate though, silly me...

6) Why are you following NWN2's development, rather than Dragon Age? (unless you follow both...)

Haven't really bothered with looking for info on Dragon Age, though I have heard of it, its mostly NWN2 I am throwing a post or two at. Only so much time for this stuff in real life, y'know? But I think I am following NWN2 definitely because I liked the taste of D&D from NWN and just wonder how much "wow" factor, how much sweeter it could possibly get - especially with the possibility of more character meaningful concepts from PC combat and social AI, personally tailored Stronghold's, more engaging and entertaining combat and social animations as well as more fleshed out meaningful enviroments, a more grand world design with various scales of world maps that constitute engaging ways to feel like you have freedom in the storyline and possibly hidden treasures to explore every which way ... and many other delightfully wicked ideas that float about in this forum.

"Remember this thread. ;)"

- Brian Lawson

I'm here because I want to voice my opinion. As far as I'm concerned NWN was the best CRPG tool made yet. But, I think it could have been even better. If Obsidian really listens to the community maybe they can make NWN2 the best CRPG tool for years to come. I figure that if I don't give as much input as I possibly can then I have nothing to complain about if NWN2 isn't all I hope it will be.

I'm a player, builder, and scripter. I do act as DM once in a while, but I'm admit I'm not the best DM. Though, I don't think you will find a more fair/neutral one.

I definitely consider myself a role player more than a power gamer and I almost exclusively play online. I enjoy PW type servers and I run my own.

I'm currently following both NWN2 and DA. But, I have to say that so far NWN2 seems far more interesting to me. I've lost a lot of faith that I once had in Bioware over the last couple of years. Just when I thought they were moving in the right direction with NWN it seems like they took an about face. So, I'm hoping Obsidian steps up and creates the game/tool that I'm looking for.

I got to reading everybody else's posts and realized that I haven't really told you all a whole lot about my style of play. Allow me to rectify that:

Am I a powergamer or a roleplayer?

This is a very touchy subject for some and even more touchy for others. If I say that I'm a powergamer I will be frowned upon by the half of the community that are avid roleplayers. If I say I am a roleplayer, then all of the powergamers will have their own opinion of me as well.

Let me be as honest as I can be within the confines of time, the inability for any of you to see my facial expressions as I type, and the restriction (or freedom) that none of you really *know* who I am.

I can honestly say the I am truly a roleplayers at heart; there is nothing better in the world than losing yourself to the moment that exists when you adopt the personality of someone entirely different than who you really are. There have been times in my PnP campaign where we have laughed, cried, fought, loved and even hated each other. I remember spending entires evenings (sometimes, not often though) where no dice were rolled; no creatures were fought; no books were opened, but story and plot lines were advanced, sometimes even *created* by my brilliant players. I have been so blessed to have the most amazing people adventure their characters in my campaign world over these last decades that it is often times difficult to say goodbye. My players have been so brilliant that they were even capable of taking the reigns from me and DMing my world to allow me to play my evil Dalmir "The Dark" as a PC for intervals at a time. This always gave me great joy as I am often restricted to using him only as a flavorful NPC. Yes, I can honestly say that I have truly roleplayed over the years to the fullest.

Yet, there is another side to me altogether, or shall I say another side to that wicked, terrible, vile necromancer Dalmir? Dalmir was always the quite type; everybody knew that he was kind of a loner. He played his cards from the beginning so that no one really ever knew what he was up to. He was the patient one; oh so very patient. He always knew what he wanted and he knew that he would one day achieve it, he must only be patient and it would come. Dalmir craved power more than anything else. Power over the undead, power over demons, power over mankind and more than anything else, the power of his art. The forbidden art - black necromancy. Over the years, the cold calculating Dalmir bided his time making small advances towards his ultimate goal. Supreme independence - he would bow down to no one in the end. Every new spell brought him that much closer. Every new skill, gave him that much more talent. Every new tome made him hunger that much more. As time passed, he mastered his art slowly but surely until one day, he parted from his companions once and for all. But his evil did not end there. Seduced even further by the power of the dark side, he took an unholy bride - one of the most feared women on Oerth. The mere mention of her name caused peasants to cower and entire theives' guilds to be on their guard. A woman so vile that her deeds were comparable to her "Dark" husband. Her name caused many a planar creature in Sigil to become infuriated at the mention of it. Salaandra was as bad as they come. Seductress, warrior, magi - she had all the charm of a succubus and all the wits and spells of a wizard. This is not why the multiverse hated her though - her fighting techniques were like no other woman in history. She fought dirty; she fought hard; she fought with ultimate skill, inhuman strength, and she only ever fought... to win.

Dalmir "The Dark" and Salaandra had a witch child Tabitha shortly after they were married. Dalmir "The Dark" has since abandoned his search for ultimate power. And why shouldn't he? He has already attained just about everything he could ever dream of - Mastery of his Dark Art; the most dreaded, beautiful woman in the multiverse as his wife; and a beautiful, talented, intelligent daughter, with emerald eyes, like her mother and blue black hair, just like her father.

But his lust for power never diminished. It has only been put on hold.

Am I a power gamer, or a roleplayer? You decide.

I am here because I am in search of the perfect Rpg. I am a roleplayer and a powergamer too, since I've discovered the rpg-world by playing Diablo... not much of a Rpg, but still it gave me the sensation of increasing power and wealth and knowledge every step I took in the game...

Then it came my first manual of D&D, 1st edition (with the red cover, you know?)... and then again the expansions... and finally then my players, as I was the DM, playing also the role of a banished god by the name of Durpuvel, sending the PC on epic quests, making them even marry etc.

Then came BG --- boom! That was what I wanted to do as a DM... good plot, politics, the right amount of important NPCs and magic weapons and...

Since then I have played almost every Pc-Rpg that I have found here in Italy...

That's why I'm here.

I was just wondering what you all are doing here. Why are you here?

Aside from the fact I am here to rule the world? :ph34r:

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

"Aside from the fact I am here to rule the world?"

Words of Advice: When wanting to rule the world; posting o a mesage baord is NOT the way to accomplish the goal. :(

However, I'm sure you know that. :p"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't know why would any want to rule the world.  Man, can you imagine the paper work that it would involve.

And think of all the pointless busy work and whinning:

"Mister dictator we dont any clean water supply"

"Mister dictator some people in that village are rebelling against your rule"

"Mister dictator we want a library"

Ruler = overgloryfied baby sitter

wait a min..

theres acually "WORK" involved when you rule the world...?

hhmmm now what am I going to do with my secret lair, my army of attack ninjas and super-duper mega gun I have pointed at the capitols of the G8 nations?

*sigh*

<_<

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I'm Tenjac on the Bioware boards and on the PRC boards. I'm an avid player as well as a custom content creator, having just finishing an alpha version of the Baelnorn for the PRC. I'm not an official member of the PRC though; perhaps sometime in the future.

I'm basically here to find out as much as I can, offer opinions, suggestions, info, and anything else that can be typed. :)

I would consider myself more of a roleplayer than power-gamer, and I got started in RPGs with Baldur's Gate at college back in 1998.

Did someone say they are here to take over the world? Interesting... as it is -mine-!!! :) You want the world? Well, come and get it, you piece of... uh, hehe, nice moderators. Nice weather, isn't it? :-"

Ruling the world isn't hard work. Sure there are a lot of paper work, but I just burn the paper and say I didn't get it. (it probably wasn't that important anyway.) The are some tax-issues and the people not paying them, but I got assass.... nice people to collect it for me. I just sit back, relax and have the slav...co-workers to everything for me. Maybe tortu... convince a few from time to time to stick to my cause. :cool:

i dont think dragonage will be out for a fair bit after neverwinter 2

I also think they are snubbing multiplay a bit.

They were heading in the right direction (DA) but now im not sure so

NWN 2 looks to be very good tho with some brains behind it

The more I read about DA and what Bioware says about it, the more I believe they are not going to support multiplay like the community wants them too. We already know they don't believe enough in the PW aspect of gaming to work hard at supporting it. My bets are that DA will be a bang up single player game with a really good toolset.

NWN2 on the other hand might come close to the computer version of multiplayer DnD that we are all hoping for. Obsidian has generally been very open to the multiplayer desires of this community.

Corporately, Bioware may say they support the community multiplayers, but their actions and designer postings speak otherwise.

MokahTGS - well said and I agree 150%.

I think they are going back(wards?) to the BG mentality. Very strong SP/story but MP being a afterthought.

I feel DA will be a skilled modders dream but aside from hard core modders and SP only players I dont think DA is going to get much of a following. More along the lines of what the morrowind community looks like then that of NWN1.

We shall see though.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

"The more I read about DA and what Bioware says about it, the more I believe they are not going to support multiplay like the community wants them too. We already know they don't believe enough in the PW aspect of gaming to work hard at supporting it. My bets are that DA will be a bang up single player game with a really good toolset."

That explains why DA will have both a SP and MP OC - to better both versions. Not to mention a DM client (I believe it has one from what I know). I think people are gonna be suprised that DA will be as MP friendly as NWN was. Probably even more so after the experience they've gained from NWN.

As for PWs; PW was never a part of BIO's plans for NWN let alone any other game yet they have added or voided using features that would cause harmful effects to them supposedly.

As for modding DA, meh, it depends on how the non tileset area creation works, I think since the scripting is supposedly more or less like NWN's except presuambly improved...

We shall see.. :ph34r:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.