Why are you here?

MortalHarmony

I was just wondering what you all are doing here. Why are you here? What sort of NWN user are you? A player? A Builder? A developer of custom content? Do you play online? Do you play in PWs? Would you class yourself as a roleplayer or powergamer (though I don't expect many to admit to the latter)? What is your background in RPGs.

Why are you following NWN2's development, rather than Dragon Age (unless you are following both)?

My interest in NWN is the fact that Obsidian is developing it. I have more interest in using Oblivion's upcoming toolset than I do NWN:2's toolset, unless NNW:2 faitfhfully recreates the rules.

And I have seen nothing to suggest that NWN:2 will do as such.

I have been an avid player of D&D since the 1st Edition. I support most all CRPGs (that are good) that use the D&D rules.

I don't play online, although I might one day when I finish school. I want a good hearty OC from NWN2 and the ability to recreate my campaign world set in The World of Greyhawk.

I was just wondering what you all are doing here. Why are you here? What sort of NWN user are you? A player? A Builder? A developer of custom content? Do you play online? Do you play in PWs? Would you class yourself as a roleplayer or powergamer (though I don't expect many to admit to the latter)? What is your background in RPGs.

Why are you following NWN2's development, rather than Dragon Age (unless you are following both)?

Im here because I would love to have a great DnD game with a toolset. NWN failed me in that. It was just incomplete in my oppinion.

Im here years before the game even comes out because there really isnt anything else better to do during the 30 minute spans of time between calls at my workplace.

I do occasionly check up on Dragon Age as well. I really couldnt imagine anyone here not being interested in both given the background that they both come from.

I dont really try online NWN as not many of my friends were that into it, but play MMORPGS alot.

I am looking to get good tools for building single player mods and small group dm controlled mods for my friends and myself. So I guess im a builder. But I also want a good story to come with the game as I enjoy single player games and I am a Gamer... Not Roleplayer or Powergamer... Just Gamer.

im here because i liked nwn1, but was a little disappointed with the single player campaign, so since obsidian seems to be putting more effort in to the sp campaign, im intrigued.

im a gamer, and only a gamer. i dont know how to mod and ive never played multiplayer.

although i am also following the progress of dragon age as well. i just happen to frequent this forum because im also interested in kotor2 and because my roommate introduced me to the forum.

I actually really happen to like the community here as well.

:"> Aah... You shouldn't have. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy all of a sudden. :">

No but seriously, I like the community here as well. I enjoy posting my own ideas and also like listening to everybody else's. I think we have a really good community here. I know that I am kind of new to these boards compared to some people (Ahem... Enderwiggin), but I am by no means new to the D&D game. What I like most about the forums here is that there is a good mix of intelligent opinions, that many times conflict but will ultimately lead to better game development.

Why am I here? A couple reasons...

Because I liked NWN. Lots of folks on this forum seem to think it failed, but I've never been able to discern their reasons because most of them seem to have spent a lot of really enjoyable time on it. NWN gave me more sheer hours of fun online than any other game ever, and while I have my complaints, I think NWN2 has the potential to be even better.

Because I enjoy debating game and RPG systems. It's fun to visit the Obsidian boards and bounce ideas off of people.

Because, by all appearances, NWN2 will be a good game when it's finally released. Whether I'll be a player, DM, builder, or whatever else will be determined by NWN2's featureset and what ends up being the most fun for me, but at this stage I'll probably end up being some of each (as I was in NWN.)

Feel free to steal this sig.

Im here cause i always like RPGs when i first played BG then to BG 2 and played Fallout 1 and 2 (fallout is still one of the best games in the world to me personally) Now im here to see the latest info about nwn2 because i got stressed at the fact that when blackisle died i thought so would some great Forgotten Realm titles.

I'm here because I was anticipating NWN:1 7 years ahead it's time, I expected something similar to StarCraft for en editor, and I wasn't really dissapointed in that area.

Later, I have come to play on PW's, play singleplayer, play multiplayer with a small group of friends, make mods, script, DM, quest as DM and so on.

I'm just terribly excited about an sequal and what it would bring me.

well i am here because i like NWN toolset and i expect NWN2 toolset to be better. my path as an community member is

player->builder->scripter->CustomContentmaker.

the fact that it's using D&D is unimportant it could have used anything aslong as i get same or better freedom to modify it.

basically i want a rpgmaker and so far this is the best on the market.

Hm...well, I started playing D&D (Basic Rules) in about 1980, did Basic and Expert, Moved on to AD&D First Ed., have played and run campaigns ever since, 1st Ed., 2nd Ed., and a bit of 3.0. I've played all the SSI Gold Box games, INCLUDING a year or so playing the ORIGINAL Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer on AOL, played the Eye of the Beholder series, the Ravenloft games, and virtually every other D&D based CRPG out there. Even the whatchacallit, the Dragonlance game that was a dragon riding flight simulator/combat thingy. (Also, I have played a number of non-D&D CRPGs/Fantasy games, and have pleasant memories of, for example, Ultima Underworld and even Stonekeep. Also spent 5 years playing Everquest >_< )

In that time, I've dabbled with programming...nothing terribly significant, various versions of GWBASIC, Pascal, and Visual Basic...and have made several ambitious but eventually stalled attempts to write software for my own use to automate the DM'ing process. Last version in Visual Basic got bogged down while I was trying to devise systems for tracking up to 3 moon phases and generating weather patterns, while making it applicable to any climate and/or world...I.E., allowing the user to determine the cycles and so forth for the moons, length of days, months, years, seasons, etc., rather than using a standard one :x

Point here is, I've wanted to see some kind of tools to ACCURATELY automate the D&D Rules for a VERY long time. I've seen any number of halfhearted attempts, and attempts limited by the technology available. I think the tech is finally up to the task.

[Now, I PERSONALLY would love to see WOTC go back and come up with a "4.0" that would be a better balance between the very intelligent choices they've made to streamline the MECHANICS of the game, eliminating the various tables that all use different dice and different rules (Percentile thief skills, anyone?) and the interesting flavor and depth of the old 1st and 2nd ed. spell lists, magic items, and the like. Unfortunately, as much as I think WOTC has improved the game mechanics and made them much simpler and made D&D less about looking up stuff on tables and more about the game and story, I think they've really blown it on the game CONTENT.]

That being said, the current release is 3.5. So I'd like to see NWN2 implement and automate EVERY SINGLE FACET of D&D 3.5 that is even remotely feasible. I personally have no objection if they include 72 different spells and 39 skills that are absolutely useless to the OC...I'd rather they did that than leave them out. If they EXIST in the game, and you can actually cast them and generate some sort of result, then some mod builder will eventually make them useful.

I also find the debates going on here interesting. Lets me see a lot of points of view on this subject, and has made me think on any number of occasions.

Long winded, sorry :)

"was just wondering what you all are doing here. Why are you here? What sort of NWN user are you? A player? A Builder? A developer of custom content? Do you play online? Do you play in PWs? Would you class yourself as a roleplayer or powergamer (though I don't expect many to admit to the latter)? What is your background in RPGs.

Why are you following NWN2's development, rather than Dragon Age (unless you are following both)? "

I'm here cause of the following: I like NWN1. I look forward to see what improvement to that game that NWN2 can bring. I like Obsidian.

I'ma a player and a builder though I have yet to release my mod(s) ;)" . So, actually, you can call me a wannabe builder. I play on line, and on PWs. I'ma role-player though I find on most PWs; your only option is to "powergame" though even then I always find a way to 'role-play".

Background? Been playing them for almost 2 decades. Mostly D&D; but I have dabbled in various other ones as well. D&D is still my fvaorite though.

I'm following both DA, and NWN2. Don't know why people keep trying to make it an either/or proposition.

P.S. Ender, for someone who hates D&D so much; you sure seem to like its rules (except Rule 0, of course). And, you sure ar einteretsed in playing games based off it. Weird that.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Im here largely because I enjoyed NWN a great deal and I just wanted to give some useful input as what I would like to see.

Im a player I mostly just play single player as I struggle to find servers that appeal to me. Im trying make a small short single player module (ironically :) dont worry when its done everyone will hear about it. ;) ) as that was my original attraction to NWN I like telling stories and to me a module is a great medium to tell a story in and also to share that story with other people beyond that of which I know in person, it also allows me to recieve other peoples stories.

Im also a sort of trainee author type person, I intend to become a fantasy author for a living but I dont really know too many people who are into that kind of stuff so this also allows me to talk to people who are fans of the fantasy genre so I can sort of find out what they would like in fantasy story so this sort of helps me in the long run.

My interest in NWN is the fact that Obsidian is developing it. I have more interest in using Oblivion's upcoming toolset than I do NWN:2's toolset, unless NNW:2 faitfhfully recreates the rules.

And I have seen nothing to suggest that NWN:2 will do as such.

What's "Oblivion's toolset"? Is it a third party thing? :)

Edit: Oohh, it's some Elder Scrolls toolset? nvm then ;)

Personally, I was looking for some World of Warcraft boards but got lost and ended up here. :D

Haha, just kidding, stop hitting me already! :)

Seriously, I'm excited over the unique kind of game NWN is, as THE single modern game that allows you to create high quality D&D modules.

Basically, I don't really care about how NWN2 will turn out campaign-wise, as long as they do some small wonders on the scripting part in the Toolset. :p I'm an employed software developer myself and while I have little problems with it, even *I* think it's darn tedious for being a computer game trying to reach a wide audience. I'd go crazy about it if I wouldn't have any programming experience but still very interested in campaign development.

The Starcraft campaign editor came with some interesting stuff though, "scripting" was somewhat like wizards but much more flexible. You could make "script blocks" by adding smaller events, conditions and effects through a kind of wizards, then put them together to form larger scripts. Hmm, bit hard to explain. :) Seems to be a bad idea to make "world building wizards" with 5 pages though, and instead have the wizards work on a smaller, but more detailed scale. Then a clever "script block connection system" could work fairly well for flexibility.

Fixing the Toolset speed issues (several seconds to bring up property windows, etc) would be a great plus too. That, along with some real nice graphics improvements and at least as much content (tilesets, monsters, ...) as in NWN1 would make me a very happy guy. :)

Get back to work you!

I was an AD&D 2nd ed. player, but I LOVE building-games. First started as a wee lad on Adventure Construction Set for the C64. I'm kinda irritated at all the requests to make NWN2 more like BG, IWD, and think that those people are missing the point. If you want nothing but SP, then go buy an cRPG that has nothing but SP.

I also don't get people saying NWN1 was not a success. It's not HalfLife-big but come on, what exactly are people expecting? consistantly in the top 10 in multiplayer (not counting mmorpg which I loathe), thousands of mods, hundreds of them high quality, tons of PWs, a very active and populated community. Honestly NWN2 will be lucky to have what NWN1 has 2 1/2 years after release. Not saying it couldn't (I'm hoping it will), but NWN1 was a success, hands down.