the JOURNEY or the ENDING

What leaves the lasting impression? The journey with your characters, or the way everything "ends"?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What leaves the lasting impression? The journey with your characters, or the way everything "ends"?

• the Journey
    • the Ending

The ending can be good, bad, short, long, whatever, but if the journey isn't captivating, I could care less. The journey includes getting to know your characters, plot twists, revelations, and the meat of the roleplaying. But for some, a "lame" ending can ruin the whole experience.

So for all you RPGers, which matters more? For me, it's all about the JOURNEY.

I guess this obsession with the ending dates back from the days of Commodore 64 where in an entire game the only decent full screen graphic art you ever got to see was the final screen or sequence. You literally beat the entire game just to see that. Or maybe this doesn't make sense. Anyway.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

I guess this obsession with the ending dates back from the days of Commodore 64 where in an entire game the only decent full screen graphic art you ever got to see was the final screen or sequence. You literally beat the entire game just to see that. Or maybe this doesn't make sense. Anyway.

lol, yeah, the good ol' days!

How's about a simple 'CONGRATULATIONS'? Gotta miss those. Then again, games used to be all about getting the highest score, rather than seeing a game through to the end.

Perhaps some started with RPGs with CG-endings, and expected all to follow this mold, but hell, one fo the first RPG endings I remember seeing was the classic "And they were never seen again...." :shifty:

This makes me think of OPEN-ENDED RPGs versus LINEAR -- like MORROWIND, which is basically all about the journey (with no real ending to speak of), and of course KOTOR, which wraps up. I found myself engrossed in the depth MORROWIND offered, but ultimately lost interest when all it amounted to for me was lonely adventuring.....but that was after about 200+ hours or so!

KOTOR was played for about 100+ hours, and although a single playthrough wasn't nearly as long as a "life" in MORROWIND (or lack of one!), I've always preferred a great story and cast of characters.......but I digress. :shifty:

As a writer, let me tell you now, the two are inseparable. I knew from my first hour of playing KotOR II that the ending would suck. How did I know it? The writer showed me. He showed me with the way he was presenting his story. I could smell manipulation right at the beginning, and I wasn't surprised when all of the teasing mysteries lead to dead ends and a swiss cheese-like ending.

The writer should know what ending he is shooting for before he ever starts putting the story into the game. He should have a clear plan on what it's going to be and should structure his journey around reaching that ending. He should never have to rely on manipulation--hiding all of the information that could lead to understanding the story--to keep you playing. That's the mark of bad writing.

So, I'm not going to vote. I think if the writer knows what he's doing, he'll just see the ending as the natural conclusion to his journey. It's not a puzzle piece to be crafted and inserted at the last minute, it's the last stitch in a tightly woven, flowing weave. Connected with and part of all of the other parts of the story.

As a writer, let me tell you now, the two are inseparable.  I knew from my first hour of playing KotOR II that the ending would suck.  How did I know it?  The writer showed me.  He showed me with the way he was presenting his story.  I could smell manipulation right at the beginning, and I wasn't surprised when all of the teasing mysteries lead to dead ends and a swiss cheese-like ending.

The writer should know what ending he is shooting for before he ever starts putting the story into the game.  He should have a clear plan on what it's going to be and should structure his journey around reaching that ending.  He should never have to rely on manipulation--hiding all of the information that could lead to understanding the story--to keep you playing.  That's the mark of bad writing.

So, I'm not going to vote.  I think if the writer knows what he's doing, he'll just see the ending as the natural conclusion to his journey.  It's not a puzzle piece to be crafted and inserted at the last minute, it's the last stitch in a tightly woven, flowing weave.  Connected with and part of all of the other parts of the story.

Agreed, absolutely.

With our RPGs, however, I admit I give them more slack than I would a novel or even a movie -- I mean, it's interactive multimedia more than it is a solid work of fiction at this point in the genre! And it's still all about gameplay to me, first and foremost.

Well yeah, I'd say the journey matters more, but the ending is what I always think of after beating a game. It's hard to play through a game you've beaten already without the ending having an effect on your "journey," at least for me. That's why I think the ending has more of an effect in most cases.

As previously said, both are very important in storytelling, which a good RPG does. However, I think the journey is what stays with you the most. A succesful man would probably concentrate on how he became successful, more than the moment he was. Or he may not. There are always exceptions. But a game, movie, or piece of literature shouldn't sacrifice one to save the other.

They both have their own importance, and you can't sacrifice one for the other.

<queue KOTOR 2>

See what happens when one is missing and the other is cheapened?

I agree that they are both important and needed, but I think the ending leaves more of an effect.

It does, cause it's the last thing people see. If you went to a 5 star restaurant and had the best meal of your life, and while you were leaving you saw a waiter picking his nose and another sneazing in someones food, would you ever go back?

<queue KOTOR 2>

I agree that they are both important and needed, but I think the ending leaves more of an effect.

It does, cause it's the last thing people see. If you went to a 5 star restaurant and had the best meal of your life, and while you were leaving you saw a waiter picking his nose and another sneazing in someones food, would you ever go back?

Yes.

<queue KOTOR 2>

Yes.

Then props to you, cause 99% of the public wouldn't.

Which is more important ?

Journey, but a poor ending leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Agreed.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

<queue KOTOR 2>

This example works well with food, of course, but for me, after playing through KOTOR a second time as a female ultra-darksider Revan, I couldn't care less about the ending -- I fondly (!) remember slaughtering party members, and other acts of cruelty that made me laugh. ;)

<queue KOTOR 2>

This example works well with food, of course, but for me, after playing through KOTOR a second time as a female ultra-darksider Revan, I couldn't care less about the ending -- I fondly (!) remember slaughtering party members, and other acts of cruelty that made me laugh. ;)

Right, but throughout the entire play through you knew you were Revan, that must've had an effect on the first half of the game. You don't find out you're Revan at the end, but still...