KOTOR III

There has been much said about what the main storyline of a KOTOR III might resemble. What follows here is a combination of how KOTOR II might tie into KOTOR III and also my vision for the main storyline in KOTOR III. I REALLY hope that the main character is a newbie...and who gets formally knighted, etc.

I decided to play it safe and spoiler tag the whole thing.

* Third installment is about 5 or 10 game years after KOTOR II.

* You are a Jedi Padawan and you begin on Coruscant running errands for the Jedi Council and/or the Senate. These errands take you to a number of differnt worlds (some new, some not).

* one of these missions is to rescue the Queen from Onderon...even her most loyal supporters now want her to wait out the civil war in exile. It is rumored that

the insurrection is backed by the True Sith, but this has not yet been proven.

* You are apprenticed to the Jedi once known as the Exile.

* After completing several quests for the Jedi and Senate on Coruscant, you are called before the Jedi Council and given orders to accompany your Master on a dangerous mission to determine what became of Revan, the Redeemed Sith.

* Your party is able to complete this mission but your Master dies on the mission.

* You return to Coruscant where you are knighted.

* You are then sent into the Unknown Regions to look for the True Sith and/or Revan.

***** HOW THE STORY TIES IN (OR COULD TIE IN) TO KOTOR II ******************************************************

* in KOTOR II, Mater Vrook tells the Exile that he feeds off of other Force Sensitives...this is the treat of the "New Sith"...in reality, it is just the opposite. The True Sith draw their strength from other Force Sensitives. That is one reason they are an expantionist power. The reason the Sith of Known Space do not normally do this is because they lack the knowledge of how it is done. But it appears to be a new threat because the ancient Sith empire is on the rise in known space as never before.

* in KOTOR II, the first cutscreen you get after you see the Ebon Hawk get stuck on Malachor V is that of the Kreia killing Sith assassins as they decloak. Why? And why would some of the assassins decloak and bow to the Exile as he enters the academy?

ANSWER: some of the assassins are loyal to Darth Sion...Sion knows nothing of Kreia's true plans...however, the assassins that Kreia kills as well as those who bow to the Exile, are not loyal to Sion, but loyal to the Sith empire (i.e. True Sith). They want the Exile to kill Kreia...if the Exile fails, they will try themselves. But Kreia is powerful and knows how to tap into the energies of Malachor V. She uses the Force so that she might defeat those who want to protect its existence.

* the True Sith have had some operations in Known Space (from antiquity)...Korriban and Malachor V are the main worlds they used beyond their home worlds. Over the past few centuries, Korriban was nothing more than a graveyard, although, in antiquity, it was much more..... The Trayus Academy on

Malachor V is where the True Sith had brought their teachings into Known Space. Revan understood that he could get more recruits if he opened a similar academy on Korriban. Hence, Malachor V was "replaced" as the primary learning facility of Sith adepts.

* But Malachor V was still the primary source of "raw power" from the True Sith -- the most powerful world of dark energy in Known Space. And the best place to try to "snuff out" the Force, if such a thing could be done.

* It is not the True Sith who wish to end the Force. But it is their ability to siphon the Force from others that, in the hands of the untrained, can lead to disaster.

* normally this would not be a problem, but the Exile acquired this power "accidentally" when he proved that someone strong in the Force can live without it. It was only because of Kreia's proddings and manipulations that the Exile came back to sensing the Force. Once the Exile can back into focus with the Force, he had almost godlike power and knew how to draw the power from others.

* this anomaly fed the hunger of both Sion and Nihilus, as Kreia knew it would...though neither Sion nor Nihilus understood what was happening.

* now that Malachor V has been destroyed, the power that was fueling this anamoly is gone. The Exile is now just another Force user like anyone else (execpt he does have the rare gift of Force bonding). However, he had that gift before the campaign on Malachor V (according to Master Vrook in KOTOR II).

While he still has the gift, it is no longer a great disturbance in the Force.

* Kreia was right to oppose the True Sith....she was wrong in how she intended to do it.

* ultimately, it all comes back to Revan. Had Revan not gone the way of the Sith, the Exile would not have become the great disturbance in the Force and, therefore, the Sith Lords in KOTOR II would have either not existed or would have been insignificant. And if there had not been such a disturbance in the Force,

there would be no way to kill the Force.

***** WHILE IN THE UNKNOWN REGIONS

* You discover that the True Sith are, in fact, a race of Force Sensitives.

They are very human-like in appearance but they are a seperate race.

* The Jedi Outcasts of antiquity have largely integrated into their society but are still a lower caste.

* On one of the Sith planets, you encounter a mortally-wounded Revan who warns of the coming invasion.

* Revan tells you that the True Sith are govered by a rather peaceful oligarchy which rotates executive power every 2 years...the idea of a Sith tyrannt waiting to be killed by his apprentice was a model used only for the colonial aspects of the Sith empire...it ensured that no one outsider would get too powerful.

* You discover that it was the Sith people who taught the Rakatan how to combine technology and the Force.

* The Infinite Empire of the Rakatan was just an extension of a much larger Sith empire.

* The Sith sensed that Revan alone had the potential to unlock the secrets of the Star Forge and reestablish Sith dominance in Known Space. Because of this, they called out to him, tempting him with great power.

* Since the Star Forge is gone, the True Sith have been using their own similar factories to produce a fleet to take over the known worlds.

* in his dying moments, Revan tells you about the one weakness of the Sith technology...a weakness that can only be exploited on Korriban.

* the enemy learns of you and you barely make it back to known space to report your findings.

***** THE ENDGAME IS ACTUALLY 3 DIFFERENT THREADS

***THREAD 1***

As Admiral Carth Onasi, you are in the maproom of the Republic flagship as the enemy bears down on Coruscant. You are way outnumbered and cannot win outright. You are simply trying to buy the main character some time.

Here, you are playing with some RTS elements.

***THREAD 2***

The Main Character and crew head off the Korriban to unlock the weakness of the Sith technology. This will involve about 10 hours of good old "dungeon crawl" in the tombs.

***THREAD 3***

The enemy learns of your mission to Korriban and dispatches 3 capital ships to intercept. If they cannot find your ship, they are prepared to destroy the excavation sites of Korriban. It is up to the Mandalorian assault squads to take down those ships. You command Mandalore's party and two others. Your smaller spacecraft will also do some dogfighting in space before the boarding scenarios.

- Plano

I stopped reading when you made it seem like the only ending in KOTOR 2 was light.

and, you know, that is probably why we get such convoluted stories --

they have to make it work either way.

seriously, though, do you really believe that they can wrap up the story we are in

now in one game and still leave the matter of Raven and Exile's alignment unresolved?

you really believe that?

I see one major mistake in your post. "The True Sith", whoever they are, were destroyed by the Republic. You can't say that the Rakatan Empire was an extension of the Sith Empire, since it predates the Republic and the first Sith were Jedi Master exiled from the Republic (after the great schism) who fled to the edge of the galaxy, where they found planets like Korriban or Ziost and mixed with a race known as the Sith. After a long time they both created one race (some where still called to be "pure-blood Jedi" - those who didn't mixed) known simply as the Sith. :lol:

Source: "Tales of the Jedi" comics about Naga Sadow and the Great Hyperspace War..

One thing I don't agree with is a brand NEW PC character. This series does not need 3 MAJOR hero's. Having 3 dwindles the greatness of Revan or the Exile. Having two is fine, but 3 is a crowd. My personal preference is that the PC be REVAN again. He/she is the true hero of the era, and is the one who should be played if this is the final installment of the series. But I don't wish to say good bye to the Exile, but make the Exile a Party Member. Revan would be the main PC, but at times the Exile would be the PC as well. Th Exile will have a voice for both female and male, you can choose whether he's Darkside or lightside. The Exile will have his own story to play just like any party member, a bit a bigger part of the story though. And I believe this would work just fine.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

I see one major mistake in your post. "The True Sith", whoever they are, were destroyed by the Republic. You can't say that the Rakatan Empire was an extension of the Sith Empire, since it predates the Republic and the first Sith were Jedi Master exiled from the Republic (after the great schism) who fled to the edge of the galaxy, where they found planets like Korriban or Ziost and mixed with a race known as the Sith. After a long time they both created one race (some where still called to be "pure-blood Jedi" - those who didn't mixed) known simply as the Sith. :lol:

Source: "Tales of the Jedi" comics about Naga Sadow and the Great Hyperspace War..

Well, I thought that my ideas might run into some "cannonical problems" as I am no expert on such things....however, I think the general jist still stands with the appropriate tweakings.

Thanks for the insightful post!

- Plano

One thing I don't agree with is a brand NEW PC character. This series does not need 3 MAJOR hero's. Having 3 dwindles the greatness of Revan or the Exile. Having two is fine, but 3 is a crowd. My personal preference is that the PC be REVAN again. He/she is the true hero of the era, and is the one who should be played if this is the final installment of the series. But I don't wish to say good bye to the Exile, but make the Exile a Party Member. Revan would be the main PC, but at times the Exile would be the PC as well. Th Exile will have a voice for both female and male, you can choose whether he's Darkside or lightside. The Exile will have his own story to play just like any party member, a bit a bigger part of the story though. And I believe this would work just fine.

that would be some mighty powerful pcs and npc party members. although from a pure story telling point of view (disregarding level imbalance and whatnot) i agree that it would be nice to "close" the revan/exile saga with them in a starring role.

there are some advantages to what you propose...there are a few disadvantages, however:

1) the main character MUST BE HUMAN...in my view, this has to go eventually.

2) Revan and/or the Exile would have to start off at 1st level and there would

have to be another convoluted story to explain why.

3) KOTOR III would be the first time you were unable to give your character a name at the start.

Still, it could work. I kind of like the idea (not my first choice, obviously) that you must lock in at the beginning of the game whether you are DS or LS. If you are DS, you play Revan. If you are LS, you play Exile. Again, not my first choice but I can see where this would work.

- Plano

there are some advantages to what you propose...there are a few disadvantages, however:

1) the main character MUST BE HUMAN...in my view, this has to go eventually.

2) Revan and/or the Exile would have to start off at 1st level and there would

have to be another convoluted story to explain why.

3) KOTOR III would be the first time you were unable to give your character a name at the start.

Still, it could work. I kind of like the idea (not my first choice, obviously) that you must lock in at the beginning of the game whether you are DS or LS. If you are DS, you play Revan. If you are LS, you play Exile. Again, not my first choice but I can see where this would work.

- Plano

All those disadvantages can be looked over.

1. Save race changes for the Star Wars game after KOTOR 3.

2. I really don't see how this matters. Plus your PC would start as a Jedi and with a Lightsaber

3. The Exile would still need a name, and Revan would be Revan.

KOTOR is Revans Story, he is Luke Skywalker of the Series. Granted he wasn't apart of KOTOR 2 but his presence was still there, and that I think would make others want to be him again in KOTOR 3 to finish his story for the last KOTOR game of the era.

Conclusions of stories usually have the gang get back together. I mean I don't even think we need a lot of new NPC party Members in the next game. This would be about 30 or so dominant characters were present and apart of the story in ONE era. This is why most RPG's don't continuie stories, but KOTOR has done so. A mixture of KOTOR and KOTOR 2 Pary Members would be suitable, with a few new one's.

My list would be

Jolee

Mira

Boa-Dur

Zalbarr

Bastila(continuie love story with Revan)

The droids:

Exile

Handmaiden

That's it

Mandalore would be leading the Mandalorians, in a non-player role like Carth. He would be on Mandalore gathering any Mandalorians left from the Sector to battle the Sith.

Carth is leading the fleet against the Sith

This game is the Return of the Jedi of the KOTOR games, meaning it would be a very simple game with a very simple cast. This is the end. To destroy the Sith, the hidden enemy that has started everything. I would even hope that a lot more Cutscene's would be used to make the game more like KOTOR in that motion picture format. No need for a whole new Party or a whole new Hero. Doing that makes this series importance dwindle, the characters of old would be pushed to the back, and that just wouldn't work when a Hero is already been chosen.

I think KOTOR III should be a game with at least 2 parts:

The first part of the game the main character is the Exile. Your quest would be to look for Revan. One of the other characters would be Carth or Bastila depending on what gender you said Revan is.

The second part of the game would take place after you found Revan, and your quest would be to seek out Revan was looking for.

As for the other characters, maybe you could recruit or choose certain ones from both games. For example, if you want Zaalbar you would go to Kashyyykk(sp?). If you want Atton, he would be somewhere else. But once you decided on who you would recruit at the beginning, you couldn't change it later.

That would add replayability to the game since you could take a different crew with you every game.

KOTOR is Revans Story, he is Luke Skywalker of the Series. Granted he wasn't apart of KOTOR 2 but his presence was still there, and that I think would make others want to be him again in KOTOR 3 to finish his story for the last KOTOR game of the era.

It seems to me that Revan was the major player in KoTOR. He is the one who led the Republic against the Mandalorians, he is the one who led the Sith against the Jedi, he is the one who first either helped the Jedi defeat Malak for whatever reason you chose to have him do it, and last but not least he is the original... which always counts for something. Plus, now that he is the one who is alone fighting the real sith invasion, (maybe the exile is going to join him) he seems even more the powerful protaganist for good or evil.... So playing Revan would be nice, maybe not plausable, but nice.

And for some of the major characters from the first game to return would also be nice. It doesn't seem like it would be too much of a problem, since they already made the assumption that Bastila was alive if you said Revan was LS Male. They could impliment different people depending on alignment and gender, similar in a way to KoTOR 2. I guess it would get pretty complicated in the end, but in my mind it would be worth it. Of course I wouldn't be the one doing the work.

oh.... and Jolee was awesome.... I hope he comes back, at least for a cameo if not as a member of the party.

As far as KOTOR III goes, I think the Exile should not be involved in the story. If you think about, the galaxy as a whole does't know what is going on, only that there was a relatively minor skirmish between the Sith and Republic at Telos. Only the Jedi masters and the party members know about the Sith threat throughout KOTOR II. So, in effect, most of the events of KOTOR II go completely unnoticed by the public.

The major theme of the Exile was his ability to turn away from things Revan/Malak could not (war, power, the force, etc.) So, in my opinion, he should leave just as suddenly as he arrived. The effect would be he/she showed up to stop the moster he/she created. As far as the galaxy is concerned, he never came out of exile and the Sith Lords never existed. Mainly, this eliminates an extra character running around KOTOR III without an official name, face, or gender.

It can be argued that the KOTOR *series* has been based on Revan. I think KOTOR III should be about Revan's final fate.

I also think Revan needs to be given an official gender, face, and voice. This would allow for meaningful appearances by him/her.

The storyline of KOTOR III could go something like ...

... Revan discovers the *True Sith* (who we will find out are responsible for the start of the Mandalorian wars) in the unknown parts only to see that they have amassed a massive fleet and are preparing for an attack on the perpetually crippled Republic. This could be shown in some sort of cutscene or playable prologue...

...Meanwhile, the playable character is similar to Anakin in Ep. II - an apprentice based in Coruscant who shows much promise and is just starting to lean lightside/darkside. The PC is sent on missions with his master and finds signs of an impending invasion from an race never before seen in the galaxy... shows much progress and is Knighted in a cool ceremony...

...Revan returns halfway through to unite the Republic under Carth, Mandalorians under Canderous, and rebuilt Jedi Order against the threat (which will finally explain certain parts KOTOR II). Revan takes the PC as a general or lieutenant or something ... and the actions of the PC determines wether Revan defeats the *True Sith* and a) rejoins the Jedi order and becomes part of the council or b) upsurps all power, becomes absolute ruler (similar to Emperor Palpatine). This would mean the cumulative choices througout the game decide the ending, not one big decision towards the end.

Rip away ...

I also think Revan needs to be given an official gender, face, and voice. This would allow for meaningful appearances by him/her.

If they did that, there might be an uproar as it's impossible to implement without destoying our preconceptions of Revan.

However, I'm all for re-assuming the role of Revan in K3. :unsure:

manthing2.jpg

I agree, somehow I don't think Revan should be given an offical face, gender or voice, unless you could choose those things in the beginning of the game. But otherwise, I'm all for a return of Revan in KOTOR 3 if it ever comes, either as a playable character, party member or NCP...

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

OK, I don't know if our ideas will make it over to the Suits at LA or Obsidian, but I think we are starting to cook with gas here. Here is what I see so far:

Revan

Revan is the key to the whole thing. Only Revan can provide a satisfying ending to this trilogy (and it damn well better be a trilogy or there's going to be alot of angry folk out there). The allure to play Revan is strong but there are difficulties as well. If Revan is the PC, then:

1) you have the unrealistic prospect of Revan being a 1st level character.

2) you MUST PLAY A HUMAN as your PC.

3) in all three games, the Jedi PC is never formally knighted (trust me, this is huge for some of us).

But, if Revan is not the PC, then he or she must still be involved to have a satisfying ending. Also, there is the issue of alignment, gender, and appearance.

Exile

I agree with another poster that, in the grand scheme of things, the Exile is not key to wrapping this story up. And not only does the Exile not have an alignment, gender or appearance but not even a name either. It would probably be best to leave the Exile out -- maybe a few scant references in certain key conversations would suffice. Let's face it, everyone who was familiar with the Exile story (that was also a Force-user) is dead...well, almost everyone. Hey, maybe Atris leaves the Jedi order and marries the Exile. And Handmaiden becomes the new Atris.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

* the PC is not Revan or the Exile.

* the PC starts off on Coruscant as a Padawan and with a lightsaber.

* the PC can be human or non-human.

* the PC only goes into the Unknown Regions after he or she is knighted which, shall we say, is about 15th level.

* once you find Revan in the Unknown Regions, he/she joins your party as a 15th level Jedi Weaponsmaster.

* however, you only get to use Revan for a couple of maps and then he goes off on his own thread but, for the rest of the game, you continue to get alot of cutscreens showing what he is up to, etc.

* at the beginning of the game, you determine Revan's alignment, gender and appearance through a series of dialog questions.

- Plano

But either way Revan is pushed into the background, when he/she should be the main character. Revan must defeat the True Sith, it was his battle from the beginning. That is the whole point, we now know why he did this and that, and now we need to see him finish it, and playing another character and getting Revan later on in the game will not fulfill that. Even if Revan is a party member, and he gets lots of cutscene's, then Revan should be the hero anyway. Because either way it's his story. All the new PC would be doing is doing minor things, while Revan the hero destroys the Sith and becomes the Jedi Master. Thus the PC has no importance at all.

Unless of course Revan isn't he hero and the PC is. Thus Revan is of no importance. His love story is of no importance, and in the end Revan would be a dwindled character rewarding a New hero.

I could care less if Revan went back to level 1. There is no reason to care, it's a game. Hell Mandalore was Canderous and he still wasn't level 20, and I didn't care. Perhaps this is where FPS one up RPGS, because they don't have to worry about Master Chief being a certain level.

All these disadvantages aren't worth the time of a Star Wars Trilogy. Yes it is a game, but a story as well. A story about Revan, the hero. Plus you have played as different races in the game. Mission was Twi'lek, Zalbarr a Wookiee, Boa Dur a Zabrak, Canderous a Mandalorian, and so on. So what does it matter if the PC is a different race?

Revan should be the PC again. For this last game, we should be the true hero, not some new guy. Then if there is a new series, then find be a Twi'lek or Wookiee.

To have a New PC would be the worst idea possible. Plus if you want to play a different race, play Jedi Academy.

good points, however, if I am not mistaken, cannonically, Raven is just a Sith lord who dies along the Outer Rim when Malak turns on him. So, it really would not be a bad thing for Raven to die in obscurity.

How about:

If you play LS: you end up rescuing Raven and he is a big part of your multi-threaded victory. He might even be the party leader on one of the final battles.

If you play DS: you end up challenging Raven in the final boss battle for the title of Lord of the Sith Empire.

So he is still a major character, especially on the DS. And, cannonically, he really should not be a LS hero. But, if they do make it so where Raven is the PC and starts at first level, I will still have a blast with it...no question.

- Plano

The following is my opinion based on stroyline preferences, this is disregardiing the leveling issue of the previous games' protagonists and balance of this in KotOR 3.

I'd like to see more than anything both Revan and Exile come back as the mains, probably the way Enderwiggin suggested by splitting the adventure into two, one from Revan's perspective with his party and the other with the Exile's which culminates at eh end game when the two parties meet. Of course including all possible combinations; Revan LS/Exile LS, Revan DS/Exile DS, Revan LS/Exile DS, Revan DS, Exile LS.

I think it is supremely important for the Exile at least to be the central character of KotOR 3 because KotOR 2 was left without resolution or in the least closure and that story has to be finished, though like I said it'd be much better for me if both were the protagonists that way KotOR 3 could link the previous 2 game to make these 3 a true trilogy. After all, both Revan and Exile are in search of the same thing at the end of KotOR 2.

To bring a new protagnist would not work for me for the obvious, only the Exile can resolve the journey he has embarked upon. To have a new guy come up and go looking for the Exile and Revan and what they left to do would simply be reusing the same exact thing KotOR 2 did as Exile goes off to search for Revan. And a new PC would just further detach the stories from each other for me and make me loathe KotOR 2 even more because of the incomplete feeling it gives me and knowing it will never be truly resolved.

On the leveling thing I'll just say this, I;d rather have some corny explanation why Revan and Exile are back at level 1 and have the storyline progress and end as it should than have some new PC with a loose tied story pick up the story and make it all seem even more fragmented. For me at least, some new PC starting from level 1 is just as as corny as Revan and Exile having to start from level 1 again, because that's the way it always will be for balance sakes. At least with the lame Revan and Exile starting over idea, I get to have a true trilogy and epic story tied together as opposed to 3 different PCs in different stories just barely connected because of one character being in search of the others and suddenly having to deal with the other's quest simply out of necessity (Since I was looking for you, I might as well do your quest for you now).

My two cents.

Killing Revan off is worse them pushing him/her into the background. To kill of a perfectly good character is very bad for Star Wars, and fans generally hate it. Characters like Anakin Solo who were great characters but killed off cuased much disatisfaction in the Star Wars community, and LA will no doubt not make that mistake again.

Revan Dark Side or Lightside is the hero. Though interesting enough, Revan was never anything. He wasn't a pure evil Sith, he did everything Light and Dark for a reason, and that was to stop the darkness of the Sith. I'm sure anyone could, say well, perhaps that a good story for a NEW PC to save Revan. Yet what about Revan saving himself?

The KOTOR trilogy does not need 3 hero's, it needs one, and Revan should be it.