Cinematic endings or text based endings?

Do you prefer being 'shown' an ending or 'told'?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer being 'shown' an ending or 'told'?

• Cinematic - i.e 'shown'
    • Text - i.e 'told'

the first movie... of course.  ends with conan sitting on throne as mako does some narration... text scrolling. 

is good stuff.

HA! Good Fun!

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, both ended the same way :shifty:. I could be wrong, through :blink:. But it was defintively a good way of finishing it :D.

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

the first movie... of course.  ends with conan sitting on throne as mako does some narration... text scrolling. 

is good stuff.

HA! Good Fun!

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, both ended the same way :shifty:. I could be wrong, through :blink:. But it was defintively a good way of finishing it :D.

is another movie/game we never saw to conclsion. the second conan movie just kinda stank. we knows it were 'posed to be campy, but it just didn't work for us.

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

is another movie/game we never saw to conclsion.  the second conan movie just kinda stank.  we knows it were 'posed to be campy, but it just didn't work for us.

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

Right. Second Conan movie = no good :shifty:

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

okie dokie...

kinda feel vindicated in our choice not to finish morrowind.

You can't "finish" Morrowind, that's the beauty of it, you just play until you're done.

as we recall from fable, they had storyboard cutscenes for most major plot points.  would be surprised if they hadn't done so for ending. 

When you kill the last boss in fable, you're presented with two choices. Once you make that choice it shows one of two pictures. A very short narration happens and the credits roll. Nothing even remotely cinematic about it. But if you watch the credit, you can keep playing your hero in the world, which is pretty fun, if you're into the whole "sandbox" element.

okie dokie...

You can't "finish" Morrowind, that's the beauty of it, you just play until you're done.

Um, that's arguable. After beating Horrigan in FO2 you got a nice cutscene and slideshow ending, but after that you were returned to the mainland where you could still play. I don't see how any game benefits from being the neverending story.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

okie dokie...

Um, that's arguable. After beating Horrigan in FO2 you got a nice cutscene and slideshow ending, but after that you were returned to the mainland where you could still play. I don't see how any game benefits from being the neverending story.

Have you played Morrowind?

Why did 7 people vote for text? Who wants to read in a game?  ;)

The same that like books, Morrowind, Planescape: Torment or old school RPG's?

I voted for text since there was no "Both" option.

I think cinematics would go along more with the theme of gaming, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with text and narration if it was done right. I mean, in a place where things scream faster, better, bigger, more; its nice to retreat into the past and how things were communicated.

Some would fit better with certain elements that they were placed in. If there is a RPG that concentrates on story, it could get away. However, a FPS probably wouldn't. It all depends on the audience and the developer.

Why did 7 people vote for text? Who wants to read in a game?  ;)

The same that like books, Morrowind, Planescape: Torment or old school RPG's?

I voted for text since there was no "Both" option.

I think cinematics would go along more with the theme of gaming, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with text and narration if it was done right. I mean, in a place where things scream faster, better, bigger, more; its nice to retreat into the past and how things were communicated.

Some would fit better with certain elements that they were placed in. If there is a RPG that concentrates on story, it could get away. However, a FPS probably wouldn't. It all depends on the audience and the developer.

Plus, developers that use FMV endings are always lazy and never DO anything with them. We see a few kabooms, maybe a falling building, or a big crowd, or the hero running/driving away, or some stupid camera pull back from a demolished planet, panning into space and then credits.

It's a cheap cop out, put thought into endings, make sure the last part the gamer sees makes them think "awsome", and not "WTF".

Well, true , but as I said, it all depends on the audience. I don't think most people are looking for a good story when they play a FPS. They are looking for action, but with something to tell them what to do, so they just aren't killing hordes of aliens, bugs, droids, or whatever, because that gets boring, which I think games are made to contend. But with an RPG, most people are looking for story, sometimes with a good heaping of action, but the story shouldn't be comprimised for the action. <_<

KOTOR had a cinematic ending.  What did it provide?  What did we learn?

I got absolutely no closure from it.

Malak is dead.  Great.

You learned either the Star Forge was dead or you were going to use it.

So you can't say you didn't learn anything, but what you learned was already known if you've ever read books and could follow a good story.

But it provided something I was satisfied with. But there is a bold line between satisfaction and amazement.

KOTOR had a cinematic ending.  What did it provide?  What did we learn?

I got absolutely no closure from it.

Malak is dead.  Great.

I agree... the ending brought me to a stand still... woo i killed Malak...

Reminds me of the anticipation of getting to Big Whoop in Monkey Island...

How appropriate... those were my exact words after realising how ****e it was...Big Whoop <_<

I like cinematic endings that have conversations and an epilogue narration. I don't mind combining text and cinematic but as that option was not available I definately prefer cinematic. At least for me, it maintains the same atmosphere created from the opening cutscene to those in between.

Text based endings just remind me of those old arcade games that simply said congratulations you won at the end. Those always disappointed me.

but there was still a cinematic, a suckass one, but a cinematic none the less.

I'm sorry but were you even playing the same game as the rest of us? :lol:

All I saw was a picture of space during the DS or the Ebon Hawk During LS. You see those every time you dock or leave a planet. Whoop-dee-doo. :)

As for the Fallout-esque 'splashscreens', they were basically serve-it-yourself via dialogue options. Finishing a game with just a conversation is a bit lame IMHO. :)

manthing2.jpg