Cinematic endings or text based endings?

Do you prefer being 'shown' an ending or 'told'?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer being 'shown' an ending or 'told'?

• Cinematic - i.e 'shown'
    • Text - i.e 'told'

You know, I kind of like a told ending. Preferably there should be a short cinematic ending as well, but there's a certain fable-like appeal to having a nice, long, told ending. Cinematic endings are by necessity less detailed and therefore less fulfilling/more trite, but having a triumphant cinematic clip (like the ones that ended KotOR) after a told ending would work very well.

In fact this is not regarding the ending scene of the game itself, but the 'post-ending' in which you see how your actions have affected the world. Obviously for the endgame I want to have a cinematic experience, which can hardly be provided by a dialogue. However, for the 'post-ending' part, I can live with a well written and moving dialogue, even though nothing beats a slideshow a la Fallout.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

name a recent crpg that did not have a cinematic ending. go ahead, we dare you.

now, if you is talking 'bout all the kotor2 epilogue variations... well, that is not the same thing, is it?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

never finished either... but we find hard to believe that there was no cinematic. just 'cause there is text included not mean that there weren't cinematic. would be very surprised if end battle takes place and suddenley screen goes black with only rolling text followed by credits.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

never finished either... but we find hard to believe that there was no cinematic.  just 'cause there is text included not mean that there weren't cinematic.  would be very surprised if end battle takes place and suddenley screen goes black with only rolling text followed by credits.

Never played Fable either, but Morrowind was... odd. After beating the main baddy, you just... kept going. No cinematic ending, no credits, nothing. As I said, no ending to speak of. Saying it was disappointing is an understatement.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

never finished either... but we find hard to believe that there was no cinematic.  just 'cause there is text included not mean that there weren't cinematic.  would be very surprised if end battle takes place and suddenley screen goes black with only rolling text followed by credits.

Never played Fable either, but Morrowind was... odd. After beating the main baddy, you just... kept going. No cinematic ending, no credits, nothing. As I said, no ending to speak of. Saying it was disappointing is an understatement.

okie dokie...

kinda feel vindicated in our choice not to finish morrowind.

as we recall from fable, they had storyboard cutscenes for most major plot points. would be surprised if they hadn't done so for ending.

btw, did anybody see "Conan?" the epilogue stuff there were handled predominantly with text and narration... and personally, we thought it were one of the best such sequences of any fantasy movie we ever seen.

HA! Good Fun!

btw, did anybody see "Conan?"  the epilogue stuff there were handled predominantly with text and narration... and personally, we thought it were one of the best such sequences of any fantasy movie we ever seen. 

HA! Good Fun!

"Conan, the Barbarian" or "Conan, the Destroyer"? (the later was rather crappy compared to the first one IMO)...

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

the first movie... of course. ends with conan sitting on throne as mako does some narration... text scrolling.

is good stuff.

HA! Good Fun!