No real support?

Reading through this forum, you see alot of posts of people explaining problems. Bugs are verified by other people that share the problem. Nothing really gets done though. Despite this being a technical support forum, for self-help. We can't fix the game, and there's nothing we can really do about most of the technical problems. The only technical problem sited by the developers is the "no HDD play"... which would mean you were playing illegally in a fashion anyway.

There's also no support on the Lucasarts technical help forum. Just pages of people saying they can't play, or they have such and such bugs...

This game has wound up being one of the worst releases in memory. No patch will ever come, and no real technical support can be given to these people, since the game code itself is flawed. It's just so sad. The people that can play through are mostly disappointed in an ending that everyone seems to hate.

What can you do?

What does Obsidian care whether or not we have problems with the game. They have already practically stolen our money. They could care less otherwise they would be doing something about it. I for one am never going to buy another game of Obsidian's ever again, even if they make Kotor 3. I'm using the philosophy of hitting them where it hurts the most in their ppocketbook.

You can get a patch over XBOX live.  Plus since the game is so bad they should even consider a re-release.  GET A F***IN CLUE.

ok. what happened to you? and are you sure it ain't yer Xbox? I assume the game has some game-breaking glitches/bugs, and that's why you're insane with this all-consuming hate for Obsidian and KOTOR2...... :p

No they freaking can't. Microsoft has put a ban on patching over the X-Box Live. MICROSOFT doesn't want to make the X-Box a poor man's PC where it comes to games. They want their games to be 100% ready to go and by forcing developers and publishers not being able to patch their games on their console. SHeesh, that has been known for a while now. They purpose of X-Box live is not to patch games. The purpose of X-Box live is to allow online gameplay.

SINCE KOTOR2 IS A SINGLE PLAYER THERE IS NO REASON IN MICROSOFT'S EYES TO LET KOTOR2 TO HAVE LIVE ACCESS!

Man, I know more about the X-Box than you do and I don't even own the freaking console.

No they freaking can't.  Microsoft has put a ban on patching over the X-Box Live.  MICROSOFT doesn't want to make the X-Box a poor man's PC where it comes to games.  They want their games to be 100% ready to go and by forcing developers and publishers not being able to patch their games on their console.  SHeesh, that has been known for a while now.  They purpose of X-Box live is not to patch games.  The purpose of X-Box live is to allow online gameplay.

SINCE KOTOR2 IS A SINGLE PLAYER THERE IS NO REASON IN MICROSOFT'S EYES TO LET KOTOR2 TO HAVE LIVE ACCESS!

Man, I know more about the X-Box than you do and I don't even own the freaking console.

It's true MS doesn't want gamers to perceive the X as a "poor man's PC" (too late for some!), but devs have left coding in before to allow for patches and mods via Xbox Live. KOTOR had the Yavin Station, DOA3 had the extra costumes, etc. -- all that needs to be done is to include coding to allow for it.

I love my WRPGs, even moreso than JRPGs, but they are never nearly as polished.... :blink:"

This game has wound up being one of the worst releases in memory.

Are you suggesting it rivals Master of Orion 3? :o

Not possible.

If there was something worse than that, reality would shatter and we'd all die in the aftermath. :shifty:

Indeed: I don't think I'll ever be able to shake that feeling.

In terms of the original poster's comment: What you could do was to go to the party that has the majority of blame for the number of technical issues that appear in KotOR2: LucasArts.

It was LucasArts that decided that KotOR2 was "good enough" to be released in December, thus cutting two months' worth of QA time. The game was always meant to come out it February but LA wanted it out for Christmas.

Now: I'm of the personal opinion that while Obsidian can indeed be held accountable for things like plot holes and such, most of the technical issues probably stem from the fact that they lost two months' worth of testing time.

I've stated this before: When I look at TSL it becomes more and more obvious that the game wasn't ready for a release. But it was forced out. Again: Obsidian certainly has some responsibility here but it was LucasArts that rushed the game out.

I'm still hoping that the PC and PAL Xbox versions will redeem the game on the bug issues and maybe some modders will find additional stuff in the game files and incorporate them back into the plot or such when the PC version is released. We might one day see TSL as it was meant to be.

The fact that you can't patch a console game is the whole point Hades. When you buy a console game and spend $50 on it, you expect that there shoudn't NEED any patches. Once you buy the game and play it, you can't get a refund for it so you are at that point SCREWED. If you buy a product, and it is defective, you should be able to get a refund right? No you can't with games, because of the endless pirating of them. So once again, its the consumer that gets to eat the cost. Blame Lucas, blame Obsidian, blame BOTH. NEITHER of them are stepping up the the plate and even admitting there is a problem here. What they would have to do at this point to fix it would cost them alot of money and I don't see that happening. Like Reven said in the 2nd post, they wanted to make their money, and thats what they got be releasing it early. The patching of the game is a joke because CONSOLE GAMES SHOUDN'T NEED PATCHES.

This game has wound up being one of the worst releases in memory.  No patch will ever  come, and no real technical support can be given to these people, since the game code itself is flawed.  It's just so sad.  The people that can play through are mostly disappointed in an ending that everyone seems to hate. 

What can you do?

You must have a short memory or you might be young but that what happens when a company like EA of LA is you publisher. They'll rush you creations before it's done.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Are you suggesting it rivals Master of Orion 3? :thumbsup:

Well.... I was referring to console releases. Since they can't be patched. It's perhaps a sad thing to say, but most PC games have a patch released for them at some point. MOO3 for instance did have a patch.

and no, I'm not young, nor do I have a short memory. I know EA and Lucasarts aren't exactly the best publishers in the world, but I've played enough of their CONSOLE releases (to say nothing of PC) to know that this hardly the standard number of bugs/glitches in a Lucasarts console release.

You can pass alot of the blame to LA, and prolly rightfully so to a degree, but Obsidian put themselves in a bad position.

If they don't make the same mistake twice is what counts now.

Yup.

I smell Troika all over again.

Hey, come to think of it, Obsidian's first release is more buggy than Troika's....heck it's more buggy than all of Troika's games put together! :'(

manthing2.jpg

troika all over again?

is debatable. is debatable that kotor is more buggy than toee or arcanum... am not sure that we agree with that conclusion, but it is debatable.

however, it is noteworthy that troika got MORE time to work on arcanum and toee than they were originally scheduled to get. publisher gives 'em X months and troika ends up using X+6 or X+3.

obsidian, on the other hand, were getting LESS time to finish game than they were originally scheduled to receive... were s'posed to be out in february and instead they only gets til december. X-2.

now, don't get Gromnir wrong. we ain't saying that this gets obsidian off the hook. obsidian knew 'bout change in schedule many months ago, and they had time to alter their development accordingly. is still no excuse for some of the obvious and glaring blunders we seen in kotor2, but to compare to troika is, we believe, unfair.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You can pass alot of the blame to LA, and prolly rightfully so to a degree, but Obsidian put themselves in a bad position.

If they don't make the same mistake twice is what counts now.

Yup.

I smell Troika all over again.

Hey, come to think of it, Obsidian's first release is more buggy than Troika's....heck it's more buggy than all of Troika's games put together! :'(

It's only Troika all over again if they don't "learn" from this :)

If the PC version is good, and if future releases are awesome.... they'll have come out of this golden :wacko:

EVERYONE is entitled to one mistake... it's a rule :D

This just happens to be a highly visible, potentially career killing one. <_<

Reading through this forum, you see alot of posts of people explaining problems.  Bugs are verified by other people that share the problem.  Nothing really gets done though.  Despite this being a technical support forum, for self-help.  We can't fix the game, and there's nothing we can really do about most of the technical problems.  The only technical problem sited by the developers is the "no HDD play"... which would mean you were playing illegally in a fashion anyway.

There's also no support on the Lucasarts technical help forum.  Just pages of people saying they can't play, or they have such and such bugs...

This game has wound up being one of the worst releases in memory.  No patch will ever  come, and no real technical support can be given to these people, since the game code itself is flawed.  It's just so sad.  The people that can play through are mostly disappointed in an ending that everyone seems to hate. 

What can you do?

Well it does say 'Self-Help' in the forum title... :huh:" .

Reading through this forum, you see alot of posts of people explaining problems.  Bugs are verified by other people that share the problem.  Nothing really gets done though.  Despite this being a technical support forum, for self-help.  We can't fix the game, and there's nothing we can really do about most of the technical problems.  The only technical problem sited by the developers is the "no HDD play"... which would mean you were playing illegally in a fashion anyway.

There's also no support on the Lucasarts technical help forum.  Just pages of people saying they can't play, or they have such and such bugs...

What can you do?

Well it does say 'Self-Help' in the forum title... :)" .

Yeah, I know. The forum title states it's a self-help bit. This is also a "technical" help forum though. My point is... there isn't any technical help, and there won't be any plausible way for technical "issues" to be addressed until the PC release. As far as hardware, the xbox is static device, if you did modify it... none of your modifications are supported in terms of you being able to play games. In terms of software, no patch can be made, an there's only one OS being dealt with.

So, the extent of posting here is: poster1:"I have problems...", poster2:"me too", poster3 "my copy runs fine you lying bastards, stop your whining", poster4 "How do I get off the Mining Station?"....

The best we can hope for from the developer is what Akari did for the workbench topic... tell us if it's design or bug. Nothing will actually get fixed until the PC release (assuming a bunch of fixes go in there).

This game has wound up being one of the worst releases in memory.

Are you suggesting it rivals Master of Orion 3? :)

Master of Orion 3 wasn't that bad.... until it was released and we realized that they were actually shipping it that way.... If they'd given it another six months of beta, it would've been awesome.

(GrandPotato - MoO3 Beta Tester)

Are you suggesting it rivals Master of Orion 3? :o

Well.... I was referring to console releases. Since they can't be patched. It's perhaps a sad thing to say, but most PC games have a patch released for them at some point. MOO3 for instance did have a patch.

and no, I'm not young, nor do I have a short memory. I know EA and Lucasarts aren't exactly the best publishers in the world, but I've played enough of their CONSOLE releases (to say nothing of PC) to know that this hardly the standard number of bugs/glitches in a Lucasarts console release.

Yeah, but they only did one measly patch that was a day late and a dollar short. There were still some major bugs, like enemy empires never invading you! :)

For what it's worth, there's a guy on the Atari forums (Bhuric, I believe), who is patching MoO3 executable himself. It might be worth an install. :)

I never cease to be amazed what a dedicated fan can do in terms of fixes for a game (consider all the mods/fixes that came out for Baldur's Gate 2... there was a fix/mod for everything, and the game was great to start with). I hadn't heard that a guy was still working on MoO3, but that's cool. Like I've said (and repeated ad nauseam).. it wouldn't be AS big a deal if this release wasn't on a console.

No they freaking can't.  Microsoft has put a ban on patching over the X-Box Live.

That's not entirely true. Halo 2 had a bug that resulted in the HUD being stretched when played on 480p screens, but a patch was released on Live that corrected the issue. I believe many games that have bonus downloadable content also include technical patches/bugfixes.

It shouldn't need to be done on a console, but if the developer does miss a bug/glitch, it's nice to get a fix over Live. It's unfortunate this isn't possible for TSL.