Which is more of a true RPG?

EnderAndrew

Darque, there are no real conversations in Diablo. You couldn't intimidate, joke, lie, and have a genreal chit chat in Diablo. There was no real choices in how you interacted with NPCs. It ws either hack or not hack. Also how fast you took out the baddies were completely based on the player's speed of pressing the button. Nothing to do with character skill.

I can't comment of GTA: SA because I haven't played that game, and I doubt that I will.

Darque, there are no real conversations in Diablo.  You couldn't intimidate, joke, lie, and have a genreal chit chat in Diablo.  There was no real choices in how you interacted with NPCs.  It ws either hack or not hack.  Also how fast you took out the baddies were completely based on the player's speed of pressing the button.  Nothing to do with character skill.

Part 1)

Not really a factor, Diablo's conversations are about as indepth as any console RPG... RPG :thumbsup:

Part 2)

Not true, your characters stats completely affected your chance to hit or not and the speed you could attack.

The fact the attack button was the left mouse button isn't relavent.

Diablo could be considered a real time console RPG.

Sadly, diablo lacks the role-playing part in RPG. No real choices, you just listen to people tell you stuff and off you go to kill some monsters. That's more like an action game to me. Action with RPG combat mechanics, perhaps, but action at last.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hades, combat in Diablo is stat based. There is dice rolling in the background.

Combat is real-time, but you never said that an RPG can't be real time. Last time I checked, if you stand around and do nothing, enemies will just kill you in KOTOR. You have to queue up actions, or forfeit those rounds. The difference between KOTOR and Diablo is the ability to pause in combat.

Hades, combat in Diablo is stat based.  There is dice rolling in the background.

Combat is real-time, but you never said that an RPG can't be real time.  Last time I checked, if you stand around and do nothing, enemies will just kill you in KOTOR.  You have to queue up actions, or forfeit those rounds.  The difference between KOTOR and Diablo is the ability to pause in combat.

If you say so, but in my experience in KotOR if you stand around with enemies, the AI takes over and uses base attacks which most of the time kills the enemy, except the under water bits, without significant threat of death on the part of the character.

And the key term is "for me"... ;)

And that's sad :( you're missing out on so much ;)

What? I am missing out on lame FInal Fantasy games which are all basically the same thing. Kid with big sword saves world. Whoppie. Oh how able that Peter M, POS called Fable? No thank you. The BG Dark Alliance games, which I did play the first one and it was completely disappointing. 12 hours on hard using the sorceress. SNOREFEST!

Yeah, I am really missing out on so much. :(

What?  I am missing out on lame FInal Fantasy games which are all basically the same thing.  Kid with big sword saves world.  Whoppie.  Oh how able that Peter M, POS called Fable?  No thank you.  The BG Dark Alliance games, which I did play the first one and it was completely disappointing.  12 hours on hard using the sorceress.  SNOREFEST!

Yeah, I am really missing out on so much.  :(

speaking of fable, is the entire game as lame as the beginning part? i got it free with my xbox and it seems like a child's game. i havent come across any real "role playing" elements yet. mind you i got bored with it just after graduating from that academy and doing a bit of adventuring.

Actually, each Final Fantasy game is a completely different story. FFX is one of the most unique stories I've ever seen in an RPG. It's about love, family, acceptance, guilt, original sin, death, cycles, etc.

You're missing out on good stories that allow you freedom of choice, because you prejudge the concept of a jRPG.

I'm not saying Diablo is fun, nor would I consider it a full fledged RPG. I asked what your critera is. Diablo meets most of them.

Me loves Diablo games

Me had a blast playing Dark Alliance games

Me is having fun with Fable

Me considers Baldur's Gate Series greatest of all-time

Me loves Icewind Dale Series

Me will always hold the old Gold Box games and EOB series in high regard

Me considers all of these games RPG's

Me might be considered dumb or stupid but atleast I have fun :(