Which is more of a true RPG?

EnderAndrew

This thread seems to be about how you define RPGs.

Are RPGs about rules and stats, or about options and openendedness?

I choose the second option and as such, to me, GTA is more of an RPG than Diablo.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 11 years later...

I hated in grand theft auto when they had some inescapable wall when you escaped the ocean, and 4 big banging huge massive overwhelming stars come and make any passage over the trance atlantic gateway, held by a bunch of mumbling telephones.

It's very difficult to create a cluck in bell regeneration high pizza order delivery radio, but arm chairs and old people or just a bunch of arching teleportation and thinking of indiana jones when a giant helicopter comes straight at your boxing gloves!

Just the idea that you have complete freedom and liberty, arbiters aligned for a big room celebration, and painting fractions draws out the firmament, fire arms sure, but stars at the top of your screen!

Aeons of Misery and Bliss | I, the legendary Dragon God of time, am the perfect One! | Galactic Super Civilizations Yahweh Vs. Lucifer Existential Game - The Terra Program | Ultrarevolutionary Omniversalism

Focusing the flow of feats and Critical Strike

http://aminoapps.com/page/pokemon/5160131/sabrina-character-appreciation

Sabrina StairCase

Looks like we got a wannabe Frankenstein here.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This is a classic thread.  Ender, Hades, Hell Kitty, Llyr.  The golden years of the Obsidian forums.  Even Sawyer gets in on the arguments.   :)

Oh come on. It's always golden times when I'm here. Let me shower you with my awesomness.

• Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

No contest. Clearly GTA: San Andreas.

RPGs are defined by player agency to develop a unique character and make meaningful choices.

Both have only limited character development, but GTA allows relatively greater freedom. Diablo has next to no choices provided and no real ability to influence outcomes. The player either completes the game, or they do not. GTA: San Andreas gives much more latitude for player choice and the ability to meaningfully achieve varied results.

Hmm, I know this thread was brought back just for fun, but I like the idea, so let's post :dancing: !

RPG's are at their core about mechanics and you use them to get more powerful or play out your dreams of freedom. Diablo (at least in the first two games), gives you the feeling of power through repetition. Master this one thing and you become the most feared person in all of Sanctuary. GTA: San Andreas had this also in spades, with the upgrade system and all that. But it also gives you the freedom to do whatever you want. You play a real role in GTA IV and V and you decide how do get some things done. So yeah, you could consider GTA an RPG and when you master the driving and the shooting, you also got a hold of its mechanics. But there is no real feeling of progression in GTA, while you actually become more powerful in Diablo (better loot, once strong enemies get killed with one hand) and at least you have to work to kill the bosses, while in GTA cutsecenes often do that for you. I may be not as free in exploring the world in Diablo as in GTA, but Diablo rewards you more for playing the game, so it would say that the Diablo-series is more of an RPG, while GTA became more and more about the experience of living in a simulated world.

What interested me most in this thread, was J.E.Sawyer's Fallout PnP rules, but the link is long lost in the void. Has he ever finished it?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours