To be grey

I think it could be an interesting game if we were to discover yet another side to the galaxy. Not light yet not dark but grey. Those who shunned the teachings from both sides - ones who realize that all life is connected and one must embrace the light and the dark at times, in order to survive.

This would be a scenario where the light and dark sides both want to end the greys existence because they are an evil to both. I think it is an interesting concept anyway.

The universe does seek balance and what better way than to embrace both?

I play that way in both games anyway...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Me too. I always thought it was better to not join the light or darkside because they both are flawed.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Gray can be nice, but you miss out on some pretty good stuff in both games.

Lets just say for the sake of arguement that you could get the best of both sides by walking down the middle road. The only thing is we need a sorty and ending to go with that.

I think that discovering a whole new set of Jedi masters that started out as exiles would be an interesting story or set of stories. For example having Revan or the Exile as a master or Jolee even. My mind just spins with the potential [ossibilities. The Exile or grey side would present a clear and present danger to the teachings of both the light and dark.

The problem with the "gray" idea (whichs comes up every couple weeks on these boards) is that many times (well, actually, most times), there can't be a gray option.

You see a lady getting mugged on the street.

You have two options -

1) You help - Light

2) You don't help - which is in itself Dark, as it's not Light

The only way to be gray is to make some light choices and some dark choices. But in the end, you have to choose one or the other. If you don't help the Light, you are inherently helping the Dark (the "Sin by Silence" philosophy).

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

Example of Grey as I see it:

"Help me, I am being robbed"

You say to the thugs that are robbing the woman: "I guess it's time to die, Bantha herders"

After that you give the woman her money back and say "Yeah yeah... just get out of here" This to me also seems like a mix of Light and Dark, which is Grey.

Would be cool with some sort of Gray meter as well, but myself I am inclined to stick to the Dark side, it is my nature.

In fact I think I just pulled a Bindo. (The woman being robbed scenario)

in a game where the force is the driving feature/component, i dont think a grey option is a valid one. the very nature of the force implies that its user will either want to control the force for good or for complete domination. theres no real middle ground using the force. even the examples given of grey arent really grey, theyre more like one lightside choice followed by one darkside choice.

You say to the thugs that are robbing the woman: "I guess it's time to die, Bantha herders"

After that you give the woman her money back and say "Yeah yeah... just get out of here" This to me also seems like a mix of Light and Dark, which is Grey.

Would be cool with some sort of Gray meter as well, but myself I am inclined to stick to the Dark side, it is my nature.

This would be lightside and having a mouth.

But it really is the "nature of the force" to be dark or light. I don't think you can be Gray. Even Jolee, the greatest example of a gray character, had to make a choice eventually.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

Apathy isn't a choice, right?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Yeah your example is definitely Light Sider. Grey would be do nothing at all, and go about your business. Dark Side would be to either kill the thugs, then kill the woman and take her money, or have the thugs give you her money, then leave.

Your example, the end result is that a woman was saved from thugs.

- dr cloak

The gray allows you to choose the best thing not the good/evil thing. If your job is to teach kids and you give them lots of Homework during Xmas break that could be seen as evil. But the kids that do the work will have a advantage later.

Let the jedi live until you learned from them however kill them to stop their teachings that hurts the galaxy. Yes it was evil to kill them but it was for the greater good. Revan was grey he used the sith teaching to make the galaxy strong and safe.

Yeah your example is definitely Light Sider. Grey would be do nothing at all, and go about your business. Dark Side would be to either kill the thugs, then kill the woman and take her money, or have the thugs give you her money, then leave.

- dr cloak

See Bold ^

I disagree, that even "going about you bussiness" would be dark (although not so much as killing them all). If you have the ability to help this lady, and you don't, then I think it is wrong (especially since you're a jedi).

- dr cloak

See Bold ^

I disagree, that even "going about you bussiness" would be dark (although not so much as killing them all). If you have the ability to help this lady, and you don't, then I think it is wrong (especially since you're a jedi).

Interesting. But if you help the woman, that is a Light Side act. Refusing to help isn't necessarily evil. You could simply not have the time to get involved.

Lets take real life for example. A woman in New York was yelling for help, as she had an attacker on her, trying to rob her of her purse. Many many people just stood around, looking on, nobody coming to her aid. Are all these people evil/darkside?

- dr cloak

- dr cloak

See Bold ^

Interesting. But if you help the woman, that is a Light Side act. Refusing to help isn't necessarily evil. You could simply not have the time to get involved.

Lets take real life for example. A woman in New York was yelling for help, as she had an attacker on her, trying to rob her of her purse. Many many people just stood around, looking on, nobody coming to her aid. Are all these people evil/darkside?

- dr cloak

Well, I wouldn't call them "evil", but I do think they are wrong.

EDIT: I'm referring to the people in New York. Below I'm referring to a Jedi

But there is something to be said for being "unavailable" - if you're on you're way to save the galaxy from a Sith attack, then it wouldn't be dark to leave the women. Still, it's wrong not to get involved if you can.

But there is something to be said for being "unavailable" - if you're on you're way to save the galaxy from a Sith attack, then it wouldn't be dark to leave the women. Still, it's wrong not to get involved if you can.

Well, what would a Grey Jedi do in this situation then?

- dr cloak

It was in Sienfeld...

Well, what would a Grey Jedi do in this situation then?

- dr cloak

That's the point, I don't think you can be a "Gray Jedi"

It depends. I have to ask my lawyer :D  What happens if I try to help and she got hurt worse would that be evil? If I tell her to just give the purse to the attacker so he would go away would that be good?

Yeah, exactly! There are so many variables involved, and it goes much deeper than what initially appears on the surface.

A Grey Jedi might say to him/herself "Well, if I help this woman and save her from the Thugs, that would draw attention to myself, and right now, I'm trying to pretend I'm not a Jedi, in order to get more information from the locals"

- dr cloak

It was in Sienfeld...

Never did watch that show...