Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Violence in Video Games

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the Violence in Video game getting too much? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?

1. Yes - Way to much detail, not needed (12 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real (36 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. Maybe - All depends on age and maturity (30 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts

To tell the truth I never been around with gasoline to even get a taste and since I don't have a sense of smell I can't tell if something smells or taste good or bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you very skinny?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. Quite the opposite in fact. I don't enjoy eating, I just do. Add that to a lack of exercise well because I am a gaming and internet junkie, you get the picture. :D

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5007 posts
a good article on the history of game controversy on GameSpot .. a

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8544 posts
That's odd. People think that losing one's sense of smell isn't a big deal, but it's a well known fact among.. uhm.. doctors who treat elderly patients that this is not the case. When we get old, our sense of smell is often the first sense that disappears. When you lose your sense of smell, you also lose your appetite. Old people who live alone often completely forget to eat, because their hunger is never triggered by any smells. It sounds weird, but it's actually true. It is also very difficult to get old people to eat, because they claim they're not hungry.. Stupid noses.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
I have been out of sense of smell since I was a kid, back when I was 5. 27 years without a sense of smell and I think my body has adapted that I don't starve to death. :)

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5007 posts
maybe 2 small objects have gotten stuck .. and you never realised it?
I'm cursed with bad eyes .. extremely short sighted (close to blind), with a defect in the eyes construction, extremely colorblind! yep ..

I want to be a pilot! maybe you should work with flowers Hades??

Like Beethoven composed music even though he was deaf .. I think we can do it!! :)

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
Hmm.. Can't they do reconstructive surgery to the eyes? Well, maybe not. Just have to wait for those cybernetic implants. I have a friend who we nick name Blind Jew, for that is what he is, that has has optic nerve degradation. His eyes are just fine, its just no information is getting to the brain.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5007 posts
It would cost me several thousand dollars to have that .. and I would need to go to Germany to get proper doctors with enough experiance! I have contactlinses and they work ok.. doesn't help much on the colorblind issue though! :)
I like to think it helps my creativity, seeing the world in a different perspective of colours every day! :)

but enough of this off-topic nonsense .. it's a perfectly good thread! no reason to get it locked!! :)

someone say something extremely controversial so we can disagree!! :)

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8544 posts
Uhm.. I enjoy kicking little puppies..?

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
I like munching on little puppies.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5007 posts
nooo ... you caaan't do thaaat!!! (convincing?)

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
You know, I have always been tempted to go to a PETA office with a big bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken and eat it in front of them.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5316 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
Indeed, a fine example of why too much violence in games makes your psycho rating increase. :ermm:"

And on to the topic, it's so easy to accuse other people of being weak or not being as mentally stable as you are, but not everyone can benefit from a balanced brain chemistry, or an infancy in an adequate environment. The bottom line is that it's not their fault. Not always, anyway. It's rather unfair to say that just because you should be held accountable for your actions, everyone should.

If you think you can withstand violence in games just fine, wait a few years. In time, not even your rationalization of what's real and what's not will be enough to prevent you from puking in the face of certain things... unless they stop it.

Don't get me wrong, I like video games with some blood in them, but I don't enjoy inflicting pain.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
OH! Blood Donation games are for you then! BWAAHAAHAAAAA!

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts
i had to vote for the 'maybe' option. i think that depending on the ratings the individual games are given, then it shouldnt be a big deal. it would be much like movies where if there is a lot of blood and guts or a lot of gratuitous sex then it will get a high rating and minors will not be able to view it. im wondering how strict game stores are about selling 'r-rated' games to youngsters.

as a whole, though, i dont think violence in general has gotten too high. there are some extreme cases that maybe should have toned down, but as long as the mainstream of games remains in that 'acceptable' level then i dont think its a big deal (as long as the ratings system is followed and adhered to).

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5007 posts
as Mkreku said .. a constant exposure to violence will cause immunity! and when the violence looks exactly like reality, maybe that limit will be reached even faster ..

I just think developers should think long and hard about how necessary it is to their game! I mean news station doesn't show all to many pictures of extremely mutilated bodies ..

and to Hades about the PETA .. go for it! :devil:

Juha

Juha

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real

I dont agree with the last part. It should be real. A person gets cut, the person bleeds.
The violence is what people like (dont ask why) but arent allowed to, and dont like being done to them.
Would you buy a game with no violence, no complications, no problems?

The violence in games should be realistic. By that I mean that when you hit someone in game he gets a bruise. He doesnt just walk away with nothing at all, neither does tons of blood flow out of his cheek.

Realism.

Of caurse, players should be able to choose what they want (I like that in NWN). You can turn blood off, on, or extreme.

EDIT: Oh. and the second reply, the one about nationality. I like that. Quite true. It all depends on the surroundings you grow up in. On the community. On society.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5007 posts
"Would you buy a game with no violence, no complications, no problems?"

why would no violence also include "no complications, no problems"?
would I buy such a game? no .. boring as hell ..

but would I buy a game with complications and problems? yes .. story-driven and hopefully interesting! I don't need violence in a game for me to think it's good! do you?

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5316 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

as Mkreku said .. a constant exposure to violence will cause immunity! and when the violence looks exactly like reality, maybe that limit will be reached even faster ..

My point exactly.

No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real

I dont agree with the last part. It should be real. A person gets cut, the person bleeds.
The violence is what people like (dont ask why) but arent allowed to, and dont like being done to them.
Would you buy a game with no violence, no complications, no problems?

The violence in games should be realistic. By that I mean that when you hit someone in game he gets a bruise. He doesnt just walk away with nothing at all, neither does tons of blood flow out of his cheek.

Realism.

Obviously you don't know jack about real violence. I recommend you ask a war vet about his experience if you can, or read stuff by people who have experienced violence first-hand, ex-mobsters or whatever. Perhaps then you will realize how violence changes people for the worse.

I don't have a problem with pixel blood and 2k poly models being slaughtered. However that's as close to the real thing as martial arts training. Real violence however is a horrible thing. Not quite the 'physical' component of it, but the emotional one. The feeling that you are causing suffering to another being is something your mind can't handle very well, and thus, rejects violently.

Even though a game is not real, it's only because the technology doesn't allow for total realism yet. When it does, your subconcious (sp?) won't be able to tell the difference between 'real' and fictional violence very well, even though you know it's not real. And then, you will be in trouble.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8544 posts
Maybe I should clarify one thing: I voted maybe. Adults should be able to decide what they can or can't handle themselves. Personally I dont like the amount of violence in games nowadays. Manhunt made me physically ill. What's the fun in putting a plastic bag over someone's head and slowly (almost sadistically) suffocate that person to death? I just wish developers themselves realized that a game doesn't need to involve decapitations and mutilations to sell.

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts

Maybe I should clarify one thing: I voted maybe. Adults should be able to decide what they can or can't handle themselves. Personally I dont like the amount of violence in games nowadays. Manhunt made me physically ill. What's the fun in putting a plastic bag over someone's head and slowly (almost sadistically) suffocate that person to death? I just wish developers themselves realized that a game doesn't need to involve decapitations and mutilations to sell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if people want to play it, who are we (or the governement for that matter) to stop them from doing so? I believe in individual freedom (up to a certain point of course) so I believe people should be able to do their own thing. And above that, better to suffocate someone in a game then in real life, right? o:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users