Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Violence in Video Games

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the Violence in Video game getting too much? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?

1. Yes - Way to much detail, not needed (12 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real (36 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. Maybe - All depends on age and maturity (30 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts
Same way in Australia with Leisure Suite Larry: Magna **** Laude. The governement thought it contained inappropriate images, so they prohibited it (sp?)...

mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts

but it will result in more apathy!

Again, depends on a person.

Games make my life much happier. Some other problems in life could bring me to apathy, but games help me "chill out", so to speak, and lighten my mood.
I know it kinda sounds like a drug, but hell the games can't kill you or harm you in any way, so it's the best drug out there! ^_^ In this case, I'm proud to be called "GAME-ADDICT'

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5010 posts
"Games make my life much happier."

Yes it's a powerful tool of escapism .. and whenever we need to escape reality it's because something is wrong! and we are trying to avoid the issues of reality ..
and you don't see that as a problem? I think it's rather serious to become addicted to escapism ..

Now games as a means of simple entertainment is great! but when it becomes a necessity, that's when I get worried ..

mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
No, not really a necessity, but just a great addition to usual life. Just a pleasure, you know?

ANyways, about violense:
Lukas did a smart thing, inventing these lightsabers. I mean, hey! They slice and dice everything in sight, but there ain't no blood! So, even though there is always dismemberment, decapitation, but obvioussly laser-blades burn the wound, so there is no blood coming out, thus it it's not actually "violense". The same goes with the movies.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5010 posts
Right so if I beat you senseless .. but you don't bleed .. it's not violence! lol

mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
So it seems! ^_^

Well, what's the rating of Jedi Academy or KOTOR? No more than Teen, that's for sure.
But if, say a vibrosword could cut off limbs, then the rating would be mature, prolly.

@\NightandtheShape/@

@\NightandtheShape/@

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1561 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Grimmling
I want better blood effects, I want more gore, not less... currently things are pretty weak... I wanna see organs damn, heck I wanna be able to kick around a pair of lungs even.

@\NightandtheShape/@

@\NightandtheShape/@

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1561 posts

Yes it's a powerful tool of escapism .. and whenever we need to escape reality it's because something is wrong! and we are trying to avoid the issues of reality ..
and you don't see that as a problem? I think it's rather serious to become addicted to escapism ..

Now games as a means of simple entertainment is great! but when it becomes a necessity, that's when I get worried ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got to agree, I mean I live and breath games, I play them and I'm study'in at university how to make them.

But after seeing what NWN did to my ex-fiance(Far as I know she's done little else but play it solidly for the last year and a half). I'm extremly worried about the effect of such games like NWN on people whom wish to escape reality, when you're spending more of your life in a virtual world that you are living in the real world then there is a problem, and a serious one at that... Perhaps it is simply a reflection of disatisfaction in the real world, a sort of powerlessness.

"In the real world I'm a loser, but in the virtual world I am <Insert your villian or hero here>, I am powerful where here! I am weak and unimportant in the real world"

I really wouldn't know, I've never become so disconnected and distant from actual reality.

ramza

ramza

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1418 posts

. But as long as there are certain games that stress the utterly unacceptable then those games will endanger the rest of them since they can be shown to an already-nervous congress as proof that the entire gaming industry is the devil's spawn.

Agree.
That's a big problem.

Those new laws are ridiculous. I've heard that in Greece it is prohibited to play Counter-Strike! WHAT A CRETINISM!
It doesn't reduce crime-rate. But it sure does reduce Greece's progaming potential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know where you heard or read that. CounterStrike is still on store shelves in Greece and I personally doubt the Greek parliament would ever bother passing a law against violence in videogames. Members of the parliament hardly ever worry about such things...

mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts

I don't know where you heard or read that. CounterStrike is still on store shelves in Greece and I personally doubt the Greek parliament would ever bother passing a law against violence in videogames.

Well, probably they reconsidered.
Anyways, such restrictions do take place in some countries. And it's dumb.

But after seeing what NWN did to my ex-fiance(Far as I know she's done little else but play it solidly for the last year and a half). I'm extremly worried about the effect of such games like NWN on people whom wish to escape reality, when you're spending more of your life in a virtual world that you are living in the real world then there is a problem, and a serious one at that... Perhaps it is simply a reflection of disatisfaction in the real world, a sort of powerlessness.

Yeah, of course extremes are better be avoided.
Gotta combine real world activities with virutal world and everything will be fine.

But for me the real world here in my town is kinda boring and I just have little pleasure from it, so I spend more time doing those activities that are really pleasant for me: drawing/designing, playing games and surfing the net.
Escapism? Maybe partially so.

Laozi

Laozi

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2905 posts
I personally don't really care about graphic content in games. On the one hand if I ever have children of my own, I will for the most part try to keep them away from such things as we will be living in a treehouse in the ancient forest of Peru. Where as I don't think the games directly cause anyone to commit violent acts, they do indeed cause a desenitization towards them, that I would like people to be at a certain maturity where they can make a more rational choice to be subject to it or not. Now I'm not saying this desentization causes anyone to think its acceptable to commit like acts, I fear it does cause apathy to set in. Plus its just hard to see an extremely compassionate person wanting to see these images in the first place.

On the other hand if extreme violence is what you want then who am I to tell you that you probaly have Columbine-esque fantasies, and that if only the other kids weren't so cruel that you might have been more well-adjusted, that your parents probaly love you, that they just didn't know how to express it, and that its made you somewhat a shell of a person. That these violent acts you so love are a symptom of a much larger "condition" and that you're filling the void with a wash of sensory overloading perceptions that will oneday need to manifest itself in one way or the other. Cause that'd be pure B.S. :)

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

No way, there must be the beheading! I'm sure!

No.

Probably there is a console command for it.

No, there isn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there was a beheading, and a sex scene, but neither of them showed anything. The sex scene was before the beheading, and wasn't really a sex scene, but your 'siring'. All it really had was some moans as the camera panned acround the room, showing some alcohol, condom wrappers, and some handcuffs on the bed leg (kinky!). Then after that, was the beheading, but all it really showed was the Sheriff's bigass sword coming down on your sire's neck, and then *poof* no more head. Then ashes just like when you kill any other vampire in the game. I think the most graphically violent cut scene in the game, was the 'Snuff Film Tape', and the most violent action you could actually do would have to be the stealth kill with either the katana or the occult blade. That was a badass stealth attack though, the only one I liked doing more than that was the stealth kill with your fists (neck snap). :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got to agree, I mean I live and breath games, I play them and I'm study'in at university how to make them.

"In the real world I'm a loser, but in the virtual world I am <Insert your villian or hero here>, I am powerful where here! I am weak and unimportant in the real world"

I really wouldn't know, I've never become so disconnected and distant from actual reality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been there before, and for me, it wasn't so much wanting to be someone else, I was comfortable enough with my image, self esteem, etc. But more because there were so many bad things in the world beyond my control (my family was going through some particularly rough times, I was fed up with school politics etc.) that I just didn't want to be there. That would be a truer definition of escapism IMHO.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5353 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Well, there was a beheading, and a sex scene, but neither of them showed anything.  The sex scene was before the beheading, and wasn't really a sex scene, but your 'siring'.  All it really had was some moans as the camera panned acround the room, showing some alcohol, condom wrappers, and some handcuffs on the bed leg (kinky!).  Then after that, was the beheading, but all it really showed was the Sheriff's bigass sword coming down on your sire's neck, and then *poof* no more head.  Then ashes just like when you kill any other vampire in the game.  I think the most graphically violent cut scene in the game, was the 'Snuff Film Tape', and the most violent action you could actually do would have to be the stealth kill with either the katana or the occult blade.  That was a badass stealth attack though, the only one I liked doing more than that was the stealth kill with your fists (neck snap).  :D

Yep. Just like the euro version. No *explicit* sex (either your siring or the flick with Jeanette) and no explicit beheading either. The beheading sequence is screwed badly though, which I think may be the origin of the censorship rumor.

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts
law & order showed an episode last night about this where the "killers" got their idea from a game that was very similar to grand theft auto.

@\NightandtheShape/@

@\NightandtheShape/@

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1561 posts

No way, there must be the beheading! I'm sure!

No.

Probably there is a console command for it.

No, there isn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there was a beheading, and a sex scene, but neither of them showed anything. The sex scene was before the beheading, and wasn't really a sex scene, but your 'siring'. All it really had was some moans as the camera panned acround the room, showing some alcohol, condom wrappers, and some handcuffs on the bed leg (kinky!). Then after that, was the beheading, but all it really showed was the Sheriff's bigass sword coming down on your sire's neck, and then *poof* no more head. Then ashes just like when you kill any other vampire in the game. I think the most graphically violent cut scene in the game, was the 'Snuff Film Tape', and the most violent action you could actually do would have to be the stealth kill with either the katana or the occult blade. That was a badass stealth attack though, the only one I liked doing more than that was the stealth kill with your fists (neck snap). :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been there before, and for me, it wasn't so much wanting to be someone else, I was comfortable enough with my image, self esteem, etc. But more because there were so many bad things in the world beyond my control (my family was going through some particularly rough times, I was fed up with school politics etc.) that I just didn't want to be there. That would be a truer definition of escapism IMHO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ain't that the same but with different words, you didn't wanna be you at that time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users