Violence in Video Games

Craftsman

Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?

• Yes - Way to much detail, not needed
    • No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real
    • Maybe - All depends on age and maturity

I personally don't really care about graphic content in games. On the one hand if I ever have children of my own, I will for the most part try to keep them away from such things as we will be living in a treehouse in the ancient forest of Peru. Where as I don't think the games directly cause anyone to commit violent acts, they do indeed cause a desenitization towards them, that I would like people to be at a certain maturity where they can make a more rational choice to be subject to it or not. Now I'm not saying this desentization causes anyone to think its acceptable to commit like acts, I fear it does cause apathy to set in. Plus its just hard to see an extremely compassionate person wanting to see these images in the first place.

On the other hand if extreme violence is what you want then who am I to tell you that you probaly have Columbine-esque fantasies, and that if only the other kids weren't so cruel that you might have been more well-adjusted, that your parents probaly love you, that they just didn't know how to express it, and that its made you somewhat a shell of a person. That these violent acts you so love are a symptom of a much larger "condition" and that you're filling the void with a wash of sensory overloading perceptions that will oneday need to manifest itself in one way or the other. Cause that'd be pure B.S. :)

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

No way, there must be the beheading! I'm sure!

No.

Probably there is a console command for it.

No, there isn't.

Well, there was a beheading, and a sex scene, but neither of them showed anything. The sex scene was before the beheading, and wasn't really a sex scene, but your 'siring'. All it really had was some moans as the camera panned acround the room, showing some alcohol, condom wrappers, and some handcuffs on the bed leg (kinky!). Then after that, was the beheading, but all it really showed was the Sheriff's bigass sword coming down on your sire's neck, and then *poof* no more head. Then ashes just like when you kill any other vampire in the game. I think the most graphically violent cut scene in the game, was the 'Snuff Film Tape', and the most violent action you could actually do would have to be the stealth kill with either the katana or the occult blade. That was a badass stealth attack though, the only one I liked doing more than that was the stealth kill with your fists (neck snap). :D

"Games make my life much happier."

Yes it's a powerful tool of escapism .. and whenever we need to escape reality it's because something is wrong! and we are trying to avoid the issues of reality ..

and you don't see that as a problem? I think it's rather serious to become addicted to escapism ..

Now games as a means of simple entertainment is great! but when it becomes a necessity, that's when I get worried ..

I've got to agree, I mean I live and breath games, I play them and I'm study'in at university how to make them.

But after seeing what NWN did to my ex-fiance(Far as I know she's done little else but play it solidly for the last year and a half). I'm extremly worried about the effect of such games like NWN on people whom wish to escape reality, when you're spending more of your life in a virtual world that you are living in the real world then there is a problem, and a serious one at that... Perhaps it is simply a reflection of disatisfaction in the real world, a sort of powerlessness.

"In the real world I'm a loser, but in the virtual world I am <Insert your villian or hero here>, I am powerful where here! I am weak and unimportant in the real world"

I really wouldn't know, I've never become so disconnected and distant from actual reality.

I've been there before, and for me, it wasn't so much wanting to be someone else, I was comfortable enough with my image, self esteem, etc. But more because there were so many bad things in the world beyond my control (my family was going through some particularly rough times, I was fed up with school politics etc.) that I just didn't want to be there. That would be a truer definition of escapism IMHO.

Well, there was a beheading, and a sex scene, but neither of them showed anything.  The sex scene was before the beheading, and wasn't really a sex scene, but your 'siring'.  All it really had was some moans as the camera panned acround the room, showing some alcohol, condom wrappers, and some handcuffs on the bed leg (kinky!).  Then after that, was the beheading, but all it really showed was the Sheriff's bigass sword coming down on your sire's neck, and then *poof* no more head.  Then ashes just like when you kill any other vampire in the game.  I think the most graphically violent cut scene in the game, was the 'Snuff Film Tape', and the most violent action you could actually do would have to be the stealth kill with either the katana or the occult blade.  That was a badass stealth attack though, the only one I liked doing more than that was the stealth kill with your fists (neck snap).  :D

Yep. Just like the euro version. No *explicit* sex (either your siring or the flick with Jeanette) and no explicit beheading either. The beheading sequence is screwed badly though, which I think may be the origin of the censorship rumor.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

No way, there must be the beheading! I'm sure!

No.

Probably there is a console command for it.

No, there isn't.

Well, there was a beheading, and a sex scene, but neither of them showed anything. The sex scene was before the beheading, and wasn't really a sex scene, but your 'siring'. All it really had was some moans as the camera panned acround the room, showing some alcohol, condom wrappers, and some handcuffs on the bed leg (kinky!). Then after that, was the beheading, but all it really showed was the Sheriff's bigass sword coming down on your sire's neck, and then *poof* no more head. Then ashes just like when you kill any other vampire in the game. I think the most graphically violent cut scene in the game, was the 'Snuff Film Tape', and the most violent action you could actually do would have to be the stealth kill with either the katana or the occult blade. That was a badass stealth attack though, the only one I liked doing more than that was the stealth kill with your fists (neck snap). :D

"Games make my life much happier."

Yes it's a powerful tool of escapism .. and whenever we need to escape reality it's because something is wrong! and we are trying to avoid the issues of reality ..

and you don't see that as a problem? I think it's rather serious to become addicted to escapism ..

Now games as a means of simple entertainment is great! but when it becomes a necessity, that's when I get worried ..

I've got to agree, I mean I live and breath games, I play them and I'm study'in at university how to make them.

But after seeing what NWN did to my ex-fiance(Far as I know she's done little else but play it solidly for the last year and a half). I'm extremly worried about the effect of such games like NWN on people whom wish to escape reality, when you're spending more of your life in a virtual world that you are living in the real world then there is a problem, and a serious one at that... Perhaps it is simply a reflection of disatisfaction in the real world, a sort of powerlessness.

"In the real world I'm a loser, but in the virtual world I am <Insert your villian or hero here>, I am powerful where here! I am weak and unimportant in the real world"

I really wouldn't know, I've never become so disconnected and distant from actual reality.

I've been there before, and for me, it wasn't so much wanting to be someone else, I was comfortable enough with my image, self esteem, etc. But more because there were so many bad things in the world beyond my control (my family was going through some particularly rough times, I was fed up with school politics etc.) that I just didn't want to be there. That would be a truer definition of escapism IMHO.

Ain't that the same but with different words, you didn't wanna be you at that time.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me