Violence in Video Games

Craftsman

Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?

• Yes - Way to much detail, not needed
    • No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real
    • Maybe - All depends on age and maturity

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not against violence in games. I'm against violence in real life.

Let people release their rage and anger in games. It's a good stress-killer.

So, violent games are good and there is no need to censor them.

Remember Bloodlines, when the euro version was stripped of some real gory scenes? I was friggin angry with that! What's the point?

Games just must have those labels: Mature and stuff. And it must be carried out, so no children could play Bloodlines for instance.

Kids psychics are not always stable enough to discern the reality from an illusion. But 16 years + - it's pretty much okay. WEll, as long as the person is not crazy or otherwise demented, in which case he must be stripped of not only violent games, but movies, TV-news and many other things! ^_^

Gone gravedigging, have we?

For starters Bloodlines' euro version wasn't stripped of anything. And it helps if instead of just reading the topic title, you read the whole first post. >_<

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

My friend has the game (euro version, prolly, but translated by russian pirates - there is no official rus. version). And I really did not see any beheading in the intro movie, and the sex scene was hidden.

False rumor, huh?

Or maybe it is false rumor that US version has all that stuff? Well, I think it should have. Am I right?

I don't so much have a problem with graphic gore as I do with the context some games use. For example, I've heard that in one game the player gets points for driving over civilians... prostitutes being worth more than grannies. I don't think that's either funny or appropriate, particularly for younger kids. I don't approve of games that either require the player to massacre non-threatening people or reward the player for doing so. Games like that are not only inappropriate for very young players, but they actually are pretty damned inappropriate for any player in my opinion.

Now I'm a Jagged Aliiance 2 fan, among other violence-oriented games, so I'm hardly a prude. But as long as there are certain games that stress the utterly unacceptable then those games will endanger the rest of them since they can be shown to an already-nervous congress as proof that the entire gaming industry is the devil's spawn.

So when we as gamers support such kinds of games, we are putting the nails into our own gaming coffins, so to speak. If that makes sense...

You still are.  What do you mean by taught?  No one ever taught me to take personal responsiblity for myself.  I always had the feeling of what is right and wrong for me  was instinctual.  I just have it.

You are wrong. In a family where noone is afraid of spiders, the children doesn't become afraid of spiders. In a family where either the father or the mother is afraid of spiders, the children do become afraid of spiders. We have a few "built in" feelings about what is right or wrong, but 95% (or more) are taught to us by society.

Just think about this: if noone was wearing clothes (assuming the climate would allow it), do you think you'd be the only one wearing clothes? If people were masturbating in public, do you think you'd still be sitting in your closet with your wrinkled Playboy's? If your grandparents would have had sex with your parents when they were young, do you think you would still have been a virgin when you were eight? These are all examples that most people feel are horribly wrong, but none of them are genetically transferred. You've just been taught to follow these unwritten rules since you gained consciousness the first time.

Gravedigging is fun. :ph34r: *sigh* I never learned how to quote multiple posts.

"95% (or more) are taught to us by society."

Probably true, but society is entirely a human creation and every society created(no, I don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

. But as long as there are certain games that stress the utterly unacceptable then those games will endanger the rest of them since they can be shown to an already-nervous congress as proof that the entire gaming industry is the devil's spawn.

Agree.

That's a big problem.

Those new laws are ridiculous. I've heard that in Greece it is prohibited to play Counter-Strike! WHAT A CRETINISM!

It doesn't reduce crime-rate. But it sure does reduce Greece's progaming potential.

^ I think we can all agree that such a law is simply stupid ..

My problem with violence in VG is like 213374U also stated earlier in this thread.. that if people become addicted to the games, they will lower their 'reality barriers' because they are exposed to it again and again .. it's like how we become immune to violence on TV .. it may not result in more crimes .. but it will result in more apathy!

Fortune favors the bald.

but it will result in more apathy!

Again, depends on a person.

Games make my life much happier. Some other problems in life could bring me to apathy, but games help me "chill out", so to speak, and lighten my mood.

I know it kinda sounds like a drug, but hell the games can't kill you or harm you in any way, so it's the best drug out there! ^_^ In this case, I'm proud to be called "GAME-ADDICT'

"Games make my life much happier."

Yes it's a powerful tool of escapism .. and whenever we need to escape reality it's because something is wrong! and we are trying to avoid the issues of reality ..

and you don't see that as a problem? I think it's rather serious to become addicted to escapism ..

Now games as a means of simple entertainment is great! but when it becomes a necessity, that's when I get worried ..

Fortune favors the bald.

No, not really a necessity, but just a great addition to usual life. Just a pleasure, you know?

ANyways, about violense:

Lukas did a smart thing, inventing these lightsabers. I mean, hey! They slice and dice everything in sight, but there ain't no blood! So, even though there is always dismemberment, decapitation, but obvioussly laser-blades burn the wound, so there is no blood coming out, thus it it's not actually "violense". The same goes with the movies.

"Games make my life much happier."

Yes it's a powerful tool of escapism .. and whenever we need to escape reality it's because something is wrong! and we are trying to avoid the issues of reality ..

and you don't see that as a problem? I think it's rather serious to become addicted to escapism ..

Now games as a means of simple entertainment is great! but when it becomes a necessity, that's when I get worried ..

I've got to agree, I mean I live and breath games, I play them and I'm study'in at university how to make them.

But after seeing what NWN did to my ex-fiance(Far as I know she's done little else but play it solidly for the last year and a half). I'm extremly worried about the effect of such games like NWN on people whom wish to escape reality, when you're spending more of your life in a virtual world that you are living in the real world then there is a problem, and a serious one at that... Perhaps it is simply a reflection of disatisfaction in the real world, a sort of powerlessness.

"In the real world I'm a loser, but in the virtual world I am <Insert your villian or hero here>, I am powerful where here! I am weak and unimportant in the real world"

I really wouldn't know, I've never become so disconnected and distant from actual reality.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

. But as long as there are certain games that stress the utterly unacceptable then those games will endanger the rest of them since they can be shown to an already-nervous congress as proof that the entire gaming industry is the devil's spawn.

Agree.

That's a big problem.

Those new laws are ridiculous. I've heard that in Greece it is prohibited to play Counter-Strike! WHAT A CRETINISM!

It doesn't reduce crime-rate. But it sure does reduce Greece's progaming potential.

I don't know where you heard or read that. CounterStrike is still on store shelves in Greece and I personally doubt the Greek parliament would ever bother passing a law against violence in videogames. Members of the parliament hardly ever worry about such things...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I don't know where you heard or read that. CounterStrike is still on store shelves in Greece and I personally doubt the Greek parliament would ever bother passing a law against violence in videogames.

Well, probably they reconsidered.

Anyways, such restrictions do take place in some countries. And it's dumb.

But after seeing what NWN did to my ex-fiance(Far as I know she's done little else but play it solidly for the last year and a half). I'm extremly worried about the effect of such games like NWN on people whom wish to escape reality, when you're spending more of your life in a virtual world that you are living in the real world then there is a problem, and a serious one at that... Perhaps it is simply a reflection of disatisfaction in the real world, a sort of powerlessness.

Yeah, of course extremes are better be avoided.

Gotta combine real world activities with virutal world and everything will be fine.

But for me the real world here in my town is kinda boring and I just have little pleasure from it, so I spend more time doing those activities that are really pleasant for me: drawing/designing, playing games and surfing the net.

Escapism? Maybe partially so.