Violence in Video Games

Craftsman

Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?

• Yes - Way to much detail, not needed
    • No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real
    • Maybe - All depends on age and maturity

A game in itself cannot 'condition' you. There are many people to whom common sense is more important than emotion. You do not kill someone through instinct gained through a video game; people may gain violent or indifferent tendencies, but the majority of murders are planned out beforehand. Unless you're talking about bar fights, but that's another story.

Another self-righteous post alright. Making such an absolute claim requires that either you are an authority in the matter, or that you provide some proof. You meet none of the requirements, so your point is moot.

But that's not the only fact you got wrong in your post. Do some research, and you will see that most crimes are committed without previous planification. Usually people go berserk for some reason and someone dies. People lose control and their emotions override their rational safeguards and moral concerns.

Planned, cold blood murders are in fact a minority, if only because most sane people can't do that unless they have killed before.

In reference to your first comment about being self-righteous . . . well, yes, I am. I believe that it is quite common in this world, and fairly accepted.

And if you would read into my post a bit more, you would see my last comment: "Unless you're talking about bar fights, but that's another story." It was deliberate. I was discluding reactionary murders and those brought about by intoxication or drug usage of some sort.

And could -you- please tell me where you got your information? It was difficult at best to look up statistics on premeditated murder vs. non, as I had no results. Thanks -

-Marty

So the real question is what effect does violence in the media and video games have on the human psyche?

None?

Affirmative? (Meaning we tend to follow what we see)

Negative? (Meaning we shy away from the real actions because of what we see)

Interestingly enough public executions worked well in diminishing the amount of violent crimes committed.

Violence in media....Depends on how it is betrayed but so far has been shown to have a more affirmative reaction on society.

I think any depiction of violence has an influence in human psyche, in the same way everything - one way or another - has effects on the human psyche. However, I just feel its rather hypocritical of some to condemn and actively oppose violence in videogames, or rather it's depiction, while not going after other targets. If the concern for violence and how it affects people, specially children, is honest, then at least apply the standars to all instances of it, not just videogames.

If the concern for violence and how it affects people, specially children, is honest, then at least apply the standars to all instances of it, not just videogames.

exactly!

but we need a change in attitude to violence first .. because otherwise we will make a martyr out of it! (ok maybe not the best referance, but well you know what I mean!)

Fortune favors the bald.

And if you would read into my post a bit more, you would see my last comment: "Unless you're talking about bar fights, but that's another story." It was deliberate. I was discluding reactionary murders and those brought about by intoxication or drug usage of some sort.

Great point you have there, indeed. Well, yes. If from the murder total you substract those that didn't involve previous planning, the rest are mostly, planned crimes. Uncanny logic you got there, buddy. :p

And could -you- please tell me where you got your information? It was difficult at best to look up statistics on premeditated murder vs. non, as I had no results. Thanks -

Read the newspapers, watch the news. All the stats you should need are there. It's not everyday a DC sniper pops up, fortunately.

Interestingly enough public executions worked well in diminishing the amount of violent crimes committed.

Interestingly enough, those were different times and for starters, you couldn't buy an assault rifle at the grocery. :shifty:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't think video games make people violent.

I think message boards dedicated to video games make people violent :p

I know I've felt the urge to bounce rolls of quarters off Volourn's head at times :shifty:

Great point you have there, indeed. Well, yes. If from the murder total you substract those that didn't involve previous planning, the rest are mostly, planned crimes. Uncanny logic you got there, buddy. :p

Read the newspapers, watch the news. All the stats you should need are there. It's not everyday a DC sniper pops up, fortunately.

Interestingly enough, those were different times and for starters, you couldn't buy an assault rifle at the grocery. :p

:huh: Well, I didn't count out absolutely, off-the-wall spontaneous murders, now did I? :shifty:" Then again, I felt it was a pretty safe bet. Most people don't just say,"Gosh, that guy's annoying me. Hey, I should kill him!" At least, I don't think ordinary people do that . . .

On a different note, I'll bet the public executions had an effect on the public. Would-be murderers were at home puking their guts out. The electric chair was not a pretty sight.

Personally, I don't take much joy in lying down in the grass or staring at the trees.

Did you try it?

Just do it. You will like it soon enough.

If not take someone along... ;)

Well, considering I'm mildly allergic to grass... you can guess lying down on it it's not my cup of tea. And bringing someone along for her to enjoy my sneezefest isn't quite my idea of fun. :geek:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't think video games make people violent.

I think message boards dedicated to video games make people violent :)

I know I've felt the urge to bounce rolls of quarters off Volourn's head at times :p

OMG. I'm gone for one day and this whole thread is a mess! Ah well, might as well laugh about it:

:):lol::lol: