Violence in Video Games

Craftsman

Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?

• Yes - Way to much detail, not needed
    • No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real
    • Maybe - All depends on age and maturity

It doesn't have anything to do with being 'remarkable'. Every person is different, and hence their emotional responses will be different. It's not supposed to be an exercise of will, you know.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You are avoiding my argument altogether. I didn't say people can't play evil in games. I said some are uncomfortable with it. Sure, they would probably be able to do it if they had to, but the feeling is still there. Even though it can be controlled, it can't be suppressed, it's the thing with emotions. You may be partially in control, but you can't 'delete' them.

My point was that games trigger emotional responses. You argue that people might get over those responses through willpower but that's irrelevant. The fact is games affect people.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"The fact is games affect people"

and that said .. we don't know to what extent, and it's better to focus on it then simply say "oh well .. let's see and hope for the best"

Fortune favors the bald.

A general question .. Is it just me or is random acts of violence now a bigger part of everyday life than it was 5-10 years ago?? I see more severe beatings for every month, and I hear about more and more people trying the more extreme drugs! now its not just because I hang out with a bad crowd, I know my share of them though (and they aren't getting worse), but these are "normal" people ..

or is it just Denmark going rotten??

It's not just Denmark. We have exactly the same problem in Holland. More and more people are beaten to death for nothing in Holland every year. Most of the time just because they say something about it when they see someone steal a bike or when they try to break up a fight. It's really sad... :huh:

Violence will always remain as long as there is life. Unfortunately we lack the intellegence to have world peace despite what the hippies say...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Im beginning to think I have a problem with communicating because I write one thing and I get replies to something completely different. I will therefore clearify this even further: I do not believe violent entertainment causes people to perform violent acts.

Um, forgive my asking but, where did you get your degree in psychology? Right now nobody knows that for sure because it's a rather new phenomenon. Sorry, but no amount of bold text is going to convince me of something that's wrong, or at the very least, unproven.

I'm not as arrogant as you are, and I will not make such an absolute judgement about what the consequences of having ever increasingly violent and realistic games may be. But I'm still concerned.

I have not once said that my opinions are fact, they are are assumptions based on what I have read, heard, watched and personally experienced. There is the possibility that I am wrong. But I really dont believe that playing violent games make people violent. Computer games are relatively new but the notion that there is something harmful in contemporary entertainment is a very old idea as I was trying to illustrate with the Beethoven example.

Im sorry if I appear arrogant that is not my intention. I do think you misunderstand me very often as with this:

Fortunately, Beethoven's compositions don't drive people mad. Real violence does, and that is a fact. You don't want to accept that fact, fine. Welcome to Denial. Population: You.

I have never said anything about the effects of IRL violence on people and I have most certainly never said that I dont believe people get psychologicly hurt by that violence, of course they do. Violence hurts people in every way. In real life.

But all this prooves is that they become decentisized to violent entertainment, not the real thing. In a sane mind, there exists a strong distinction between what is real and what is not(entertainment). People are not mindless drones who cannot tell the differance between videogames and reality and they do not become violent by being exposed to fictional violence.

Again, that must be something you learnt when you were studying to get your degree in psychology.

I really love it when people make random assumptions like that. It really puts the scientific method to shame. ;)

Perhaps you should read the whole thread. I know that at the present state of realism it's difficult to be influenced by games unless there's a mental health problem involved. But once games become as real as you can imagine, I'm not so sure. After all, what's the difference between real violence and 100% realistic video game violence? Your mind isn't as rational as you would like to think. Sorry, but we're still animals.

I did not make a random assumption, in fact, that idea was put forth by Margareta R

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I believe the parents and the children/children's friends are equally responsible for actions committed. Parents have a responsibility towards their children; if there is an age suggestion on a video game, parents should look at it and not buy a game rated 'Mature' for a child of 12. If they feel a game is harmful to their child's psych, then they shouldn't pay for it. It's foolish when parents blame games for their children's problems. No one instance (or, in this case, game) influences a person's entire life.

Of course, I also feel that the majority of the violence in games is unneeded. Chopping someone's limbs off is not realistic in any sense, expecially when it would be just as effective to have their hitpoints lower until death. That might help people with the shock factor (Oh, people -bleed- when you cut them. This isn't like my game.) and draw connections: games aren't like real life. You aren't really a gang member wielding a bazooka, or knives, or somesuch. Chances are, you're a kid supported by your parents, or in college, or you have a full-time job you go to every day.

Children and gamers in general should also be intelligent enough to discern the boundaries between reality and fantasy. Face it: you can't beat someone up without hurting them. There are consequences to your actions in real life that there aren't in games, but sometimes, this escapes people. Young children exposed to violent games are more likely to think that they are unique, are given some hidden power that allows them to judge others. They continue to think that others aren't as good as them, because 'in the game', they get slaughtered by the PC.

No one person is completely to blame for the increase of violence - not the creators of a game, parents who buy it, or children that play it. But something needs to change, and video game restrictions are the easiest to apply to the problem. Maybe then parents would begin to take responsibility for their children's actions, and gamers would not be as inclinded to commit said actions.

Well it is pretty useless to blaim anyone for it. What happens happens...

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

^ (thepixiesrock) It's nice to have someone to blame after the fact, but as you said, it's pointless. (Reason I don't support the death penalty). You can't change what they did before - that's what they're blamed for, though. What you can do is try to make sure it never happens again.

When the Columbine shootings happened, people blamed Doom, movies and music.

No one seemed to blame the parents who ignored their kids running around with guns. (The kids video tapes show them walking right past their parents with illegal guns. The parents claimed that they assumed they were BB guns).

No one seemed to blame the school administrators who refused to punish the football players who beat and tauned these two kids.

And few people seemed to blame the violence on the two kids who actually perpetrated the violence.

Yep, video games, music and movies are really to blame. Those two kids are the reason you can't find an uneditted copy of the Basketball Diaries any more.

When the Columbine shootings happened, people blamed Doom, movies and music.

No one seemed to blame the parents who ignored their kids running around with guns.  (The kids video tapes show them walking right past their parents with illegal guns.  The parents claimed that they assumed they were BB guns).

No one seemed to blame the school administrators who refused to punish the football players who beat and tauned these two kids.

And few people seemed to blame the violence on the two kids who actually perpetrated the violence.

Yep, video games, music and movies are really to blame.  Those two kids are the reason you can't find an uneditted copy of the Basketball Diaries any more.

This makes me laugh...It probably shouldn't, but it's a prime example of stupidity in action, which never ceases to crack me up.

We as humans need something to blame everything on. Take hurricanes for example, we name them because it is easier to be mad at "George" then it is to be mad at "that hurricane in november"...

Blam Canada

Shame on Canada...

You are avoiding my argument altogether. I didn't say people can't play evil in games. I said some are uncomfortable with it. Sure, they would probably be able to do it if they had to, but the feeling is still there. Even though it can be controlled, it can't be suppressed, it's the thing with emotions. You may be partially in control, but you can't 'delete' them.

My point was that games trigger emotional responses. You argue that people might get over those responses through willpower but that's irrelevant. The fact is games affect people.

And it is up to those people on how much affect those games have on them. It is these individuals who choose. They choose to play the game. They choose how they react. They choose how much an affect has on them. The person chooses. They game is not at fault. The fault lies 100% on the individual and no one else.

And it is up to those people on how much affect those games have on them.  It is these individuals who choose.  They choose to play the game.  They choose how they react.  They choose how much an affect has on them.  The person chooses.  They game is not at fault.  The fault lies 100% on the individual and no one else.

...and to put it very abstract: How can a game, a piece of software, do anything wrong? It's not a living thing so it certainly isn't a sentient being... :rolleyes:"

:ph34r:

And it is up to those people on how much affect those games have on them. It is these individuals who choose. They choose to play the game. They choose how they react. They choose how much an affect has on them. The person chooses. They game is not at fault. The fault lies 100% on the individual and no one else.

LOL, Visc wins again with his perfect logic and mindblowing common sense. Go Visc go!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)