Violence in Video Games

Craftsman

Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?

• Yes - Way to much detail, not needed
    • No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real
    • Maybe - All depends on age and maturity

Then the consequence will be that such a person needs to be taken out before he does any damage.  He has no one to blame but himself and he needs to deal with the consequences.

well if we can somehow stop that development wouldn't that be preferable?

normal people are well able to distingush games and reality .. and most people are well able to take responsibility of their own actions! but some seem to have trouble doing so, and why not help them before the problem gets out of hands, and they end up killing themselves and/or others in the process!

Fortune favors the bald.

You still are.  HWhat do you mean by taught?  No one ever taught me to take personal responsiblity for myself.  I always had the feeling that it was instinctual.  I just have it.

Yes, I know what you mean, but to what extent does that instinct work? A 4 year old hitting another 4 year old to take his candy because he wants it? A 4 year old doesn't know that that is wrong, and if no one corrects him, he'll probably end up as a spoiled POS who thinks he can do anything to anyone just because he feels like it.

Ok, I exaggerated a bit to clarify my point, but you know what I mean, right?

You still are.  What do you mean by taught?  No one ever taught me to take personal responsiblity for myself.  I always had the feeling of what is right and wrong for me  was instinctual.  I just have it.

You are wrong. In a family where noone is afraid of spiders, the children doesn't become afraid of spiders. In a family where either the father or the mother is afraid of spiders, the children do become afraid of spiders. We have a few "built in" feelings about what is right or wrong, but 95% (or more) are taught to us by society.

Just think about this: if noone was wearing clothes (assuming the climate would allow it), do you think you'd be the only one wearing clothes? If people were masturbating in public, do you think you'd still be sitting in your closet with your wrinkled Playboy's? If your grandparents would have had sex with your parents when they were young, do you think you would still have been a virgin when you were eight? These are all examples that most people feel are horribly wrong, but none of them are genetically transferred. You've just been taught to follow these unwritten rules since you gained consciousness the first time.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Insinct is a biological process that has yet been fully understandable by humans. Certain positive and negative consequences at an early age can influence a person's development but we are sentient beings and not limited to instinct thusly because of that we have to have personal accountability.

You are wrong. In a family where noone is afraid of spiders, the children doesn't become afraid of spiders. In a family where either the father or the mother is afraid of spiders, the children do become afraid of spiders. We have a few "built in" feelings about what is right or wrong, but 95% (or more) are taught to us by society.

You might have been taught by society, but I was not. I learned to trust my own instincts in matters of right and wrong instead of listening to my parents, my peers, and what society told me.

Insinct is a biological process that has yet been fully understandable by humans.  Certain positive and negative consequences at an early age can influence a person's development but we are sentient beings and not limited to instinct thusly because of that we have to have personal accountability.

That what makes humans "better" then other monkeys is our extensive ability to learn. We can't thrust on instincts to survive in the modern day society. We have to learn to adapt to it, to learn it's values and rules. Those instincts are purely meant for personal survival, not for complex social group behaviour.

You might have been taught by society, but I was not.  I learned to trust my own instincts in matters of right and wrong instead of listening to my parents, my peers, and what society told me.

It is very difficult to differ between what you think are instincts and what's been taught to you. As a simple example: Most people think gasoline smells good. If you think it smells good, consider this: Why have you never tasted it? Because you know "instinctively" that it's bad for you. But it's not instinct! The only instinct you have is to eat things that smell/taste good. That's how we as humans are made, as well as any other animal. You may not think so, but you've been taught (in this case warned) by society that gasoline isn't good for you. (And if you don't like the smell of gasoline, exchange the example for something you do think smells good but is lethal)

Do you know what happens if you leave a normal car battery in a meadow full of cows? Within a few hours all the cows in the meadow are dead or dying. Why? Because cows think lead tastes good. They lick the lead poles of the battery until they die, going by their instincts.

To tell the truth I never been around with gasoline to even get a taste and since I don't have a sense of smell I can't tell if something smells or taste good or bad.

Are you very skinny?

Back in the time of DOOM One, the graphics in computer games were so bad that parents said, "Alright, we'll let our kids play these games because these things don't really look human." I bet they're regretting that now, because even back then those games would "provoke" people.

When I play HL2, I need someone to sit next to me because I'm so disgusted by the sight of blood - especially on headcrab zombies. Those things are nightmareish.

There are somethings in gaming that shouldn't happen. My allies shouldn't look human but should resemble human (for a kid's game) like maybe some kind of Super Armor thing (Master Chief or Fallout Paladins!) and I should be able to set the amount of blood. I don't want to be able to beat a corpse and have more blood come out if I was a kid.

Gah. I'm just blabbling. Only take into account that first paragraph; I'm working on no sleep and no food.

Fnord.

To tell the truth I never been around with gasoline to even get a taste and since I don't have a sense of smell I can't tell if something smells or taste good or bad.

Are you very skinny?

Nope. Quite the opposite in fact. I don't enjoy eating, I just do. Add that to a lack of exercise well because I am a gaming and internet junkie, you get the picture. :D

That's odd. People think that losing one's sense of smell isn't a big deal, but it's a well known fact among.. uhm.. doctors who treat elderly patients that this is not the case. When we get old, our sense of smell is often the first sense that disappears. When you lose your sense of smell, you also lose your appetite. Old people who live alone often completely forget to eat, because their hunger is never triggered by any smells. It sounds weird, but it's actually true. It is also very difficult to get old people to eat, because they claim they're not hungry.. Stupid noses.

maybe 2 small objects have gotten stuck .. and you never realised it?

I'm cursed with bad eyes .. extremely short sighted (close to blind), with a defect in the eyes construction, extremely colorblind! yep ..

I want to be a pilot! maybe you should work with flowers Hades??

Like Beethoven composed music even though he was deaf .. I think we can do it!! :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Hmm.. Can't they do reconstructive surgery to the eyes? Well, maybe not. Just have to wait for those cybernetic implants. I have a friend who we nick name Blind Jew, for that is what he is, that has has optic nerve degradation. His eyes are just fine, its just no information is getting to the brain.

It would cost me several thousand dollars to have that .. and I would need to go to Germany to get proper doctors with enough experiance! I have contactlinses and they work ok.. doesn't help much on the colorblind issue though! :)

I like to think it helps my creativity, seeing the world in a different perspective of colours every day! :)

but enough of this off-topic nonsense .. it's a perfectly good thread! no reason to get it locked!! :)

someone say something extremely controversial so we can disagree!! :)

Fortune favors the bald.