Best RPG of the following?

roshan

Which of the following is your favorite?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is your favorite?

• Fallout
    • Fallout 2
    • Baldurs Gate
    • Planescape Torment
    • Icewind Dale w/ HOW and TOTL
    • Baldurs gate 2 w/ TOB
    • Arcanum
    • Icewind Dale 2
    • Neverwinter Nights w/ SOU and HOTU
    • Temple of Elemental Evil

NWN was innovatinve.  That doesn't make it one of the best RPGs of all time.  Plenty of other games innovated greatly, yet were far more enjoyable RPGs.

actually, is possible that nwn is the only rpg on the list. with nwn, a dm can create a world and you, the player, can create a role to play. is no pre-canned dialogues and the story that evolves is dependent on yourself, your fellow players and the dm. nwn is the only game listed 'bove in which actual traditional role-play can be accomplished.

nevertheless, we does understand how the "rpg" term has been perverted to fit the pc and console gaming industry, and we will, for the nonce, accept the rather suspect classification as used by the industry to choose a "best" from the list.

however, we does note that roshan, as is his way, posts a poll that is inherently confused. the poll asks us what we thinks is the best crpg, but then he asks us what our favorite is. to an objective person, "favorite" and "best" is not always gonna be same.

bg2 were the best. it were the biggest and most complete crpg we ever played. it offered a huge range of character development choices and it had solid writing. combat were fun and in spite of the fact that the game offered 120+ hours o' gameplay, we never got tired of it.

ps:t were our favorite... but it had far too many glaring flaws for us to proclaim it "best."

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm going to be impaled or worse for this, but I found Ps:T rather boring. I played until the undercity (there is an undercity, right?) just because I had heard so many good things about it. If I hadn't, I would have probably quit playing much earlier.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I voted for BG2/TOB. It's a masterpiece, one that I've played nearly 3 dozen times and continue to love.

Close second, PS:T and Fallout2... PS:T doesn't have the replayability, but it too is a masterpiece in an entirely different way. So is Fallout2. I love Fallout2 and have played it many times. However, the frustration of the lousy companion AI and clunky, annoying combat keeps it out of first place on my personal list.

Can't say any of the above make my top ten list even...  But I am more fond of Final Fantasy when it comes to single player "RP", if I believed that such a concept as single player RP actually existed.

Hahaha, FF a RP... good one....oh, you're serious :lol:

Regarding rpgs, BG2 is probably my favourite "old" RPG and Vampire Bloodlines the best "new" RPG.

LOL yeah I know. I don't consider single player to be true RP at all.. but what can I say, I love that big ass sword and the powerups. (w00t)

Edit:

And no I am not refering to FF online, as I have never played it due to hearing it was crap, and I was totally content with NWN1 for my online RP gaming.

~DX

• 1 year later...

This was a tough choice, but I was really thinking about more from the perspective of "which game changed my gaming habits." It was a toss up between Fallout and BG because they really started a renaissance of RPG's.

Would we have PS:T without BG?

Would there be an Arcanum without Fallout?

In the end, I chose Fallout, because it is the game that brought me back to the RPG's.

NWN was close too, but I decided that the OC and expansions were less behind that than the steller mods and multiplayer community.

PST is the only one in that list that I would ever *EVER* consider replaying someday.

You're just saying that because you're a damned communist.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No, YOU are.

Im like totally not!

commie2.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And Josh is still reading this thread. That worries me.

the thread title is bad given the question. favorite game may not be the one we thinks is best... much as our favorite book might not be the one we thinks is best.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I believe we had a "Which is the best CRPG measured by quality and not personal affection" thread too. Ask our resident necromancer to resurrect that one too.

p.s

Josh is still reading it