Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What D&D monster best describes 'Samara'?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Stephen King is the 'fast food' of modern literature. Nice sometimes, but have too much of it and you'll end up dead."

I think many of his books - including some of the ones Ender mentioned - would disprove that theory.

Sure, King has many books that would pass for 'fast food literature'; but many of them don't. In fact, his best books shouldn't really be counted as horror. Green Mile, The Stand, and The Shawshank Redemption are just 3 examples of this. And, even most of his horror books are deeper than just piling up the bodies. Though of course some like Children of the Corn (which is still cool), and Sometimes They Come Back are for that.

All good. :cool:

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Steinbeck also comes up with great story ideas and tells them poorly. Read the Grapes of Wrath. It's near unbearable.

Chapter 1 - There is dust. It's called a dustbowl.
Chapter 2 - There is a really dusty road with a turtle.
Chapter 3 - The turtle flips on it's back and a car drives by.

I kid you not. Yet the Grapes of Wrath adapts rather well to stage and film. The same can be said Of Mice and Men.

Steven King comes up with good ideas, and tells them poorly.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
No.

Zenslinger

Zenslinger

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 32 posts

Steinbeck also comes up with great story ideas and tells them poorly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ho, ho, ho. Don't embarrass yourself now.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
The japanese ring(original) has to be one of the greatest and most psychological and mysterious movies of all time. The sound effects were simply INCREDIBLE, and the story/theme/plot/atmosphere was amazing. The english version is garbage, it left so many loopholes in the story which did not make sense and were not explained unlike the japanese ring. Also, it was nowhere near as mysterious or scary and the sound effects were nothing great. The japanese part 2 of the ring is also garbage, it completely ****ed up the story and screwed everything that the first film did right. It didnt make good use of sound, did not havea nice atmosphere, and nothing in the story made any sense whatsoever. I still have to watch ring 0, the prequel to the ring in japanese and the part 2 of the english version. However, given japanese ring 2 and the english ring, which sucked, I dont think they are going to be any good.

Spoilers Ahead:

In the Japanese version of the ring, sadako is a half goblin. Apparently, her mother had psychic powers and she used to hang out by the sea and talk to goblins. Her daughter sadako was a half goblin, hence her powers and abilities, and her deformed face. After her mother predicted a devastating volcanic eruption, she made local headlines, then she was taken by a professor who was intent on proving the existence of psychological powers and she had a love affair with him. In a demonstration of her psychological powers, professors shouted and accused them of faking it, and during this demonstration sadako got pissed and killed someone with her powers. After this, the mother commited suicide, and the professor took sadako with him. Eventually he bashed sadakos head with a shovel and left her for dead in a well.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The Ring is far from one of the most psychological movies of all time.

I honestly believe I've written at least three scripts with more psychological depth than The Ring.

The Ring was surreal, creepy, and screwed up. But psychological depth is another thing.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
OK youre right, creepy was the word that I was looking for.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

No.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes.

King's biggest problem is his over-infatuation with "filler".

Just tell the darn story already :thumbsup:

I mean honestly, how many people make 1000 page books that you can read the first 100 and last 100 pages of said book, and then know "exactly" what's going on.

That's how much filler is in there :(

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"I mean honestly, how many people make 1000 page books that you can read the first 100 and last 100 pages of said book, and then know "exactly" what's going on."

This is simply not true. At all. I do agree that he does use more than his share of filler; but then again most writers tend to favor that way. Very annoying of all them to do so hence why I skimread many books - even my all time faves.

NOTE TO INSPRIING AUTHORS (including myself): You do NOT need 5 pages to describe the hair of your heroine or the eyes of the villain. Period.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

NOTE TO INSPRIING AUTHORS (including myself): You do NOT need 5 pages to describe the hair of your heroine or the eyes of the villain. Period.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That should be shoved into the brain of every writer out there, with force if need be. :blink:

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

This is simply not true. At all. I do agree that he does use more than his share of filler; but then again most writers tend to favor that way. Very annoying of all them to do so hence why I skimread many books - even my all time faves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your opinion has been nullified by the fact you don't read :blink:

Skimreading doesn't count :)

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Your opinion has been nullified by the fact you don't read

Skimreading doesn't count"

I do read. I only skimread nasuas overly long pathetic descriptions as I exampled above. Otherwise, I read. Period.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I mean honestly, how many people make 1000 page books that you can read the first 100 and last 100 pages of said book, and then know "exactly" what's going on.

That's how much filler is in there :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take it you've read Robert Jordan?

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

That's how much filler is in there :-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take it you've read Robert Jordan?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was talking about Stephen King :p

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I caught that you were specifically talking about Stephen King. I think Jordan is really guilty of it as well.

I'll try to avoid spoilers. But in one particular book, the good guys stand around and recap for the first 150-200 pages. No joke. They know right from the beginning that two people are kidnapped. The villian says, "meet me here, and we'll resolve things". For the next 600 pages, they do random things and avoid that location for no particular reason.

Then for no particular reason, they finally go to said location, hero releases generic balefire and passes out. Good triumphs while the conflict isn't written (the hero keeps passing out) and we move on to the next book.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
:huh:

>_< el sucko

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yet millions say that Jordan is better than Tolkein because he's writting a lengthier series. Some of the smaller concepts inside Jordan's works are interesting, but most people don't realize that none of it is original. Jordan is blending mythologies, characters and stories from a variety of locations.

I can deal with that. And some of the characters are interesting. But his plot structure is perhaps the worst I've ever seen. 13 books where the ending is prescribed from book one's prologue.

The whole concept is one of cycles. And he's going to drag it out to 13,000 pages to complete his cycle.

Yawn.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
Longer is definately not always better >_<

Ginthaeriel

Ginthaeriel

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 246 posts
Chuck Palahniuk > All

If you've ever read a Palahniuk book, you'll know that he NEVER has ANY filler whatsoever. Each sentence is minimalistic- each word like a bullet, cutting through your mind. Each chapter is a fistfight, and each paragraph is a slug to the stomach. I'm not even sure if he uses paragraphs at times. He's just that good. Infact, once, he read a short story aloud to an audience, entitled "Guts", and a couple of them fainted. No joke.

Fight Club. Survivor. Choke. These books are masterpieces.

Lullaby is okay.

Diary... well it sucks, but give the guy a break.

And of course, DAN BROWN CAN JUST GO DIE A HORRIBLE PAINFUL DEATH.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I really want to pick up one of his books.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users