dan brown

GarethCarrots

:)

how can you *not* consider HHG to be the best book(s) ever??

Simple, I didn't like it.

I believe that Baneblade also said that Torment's story was awful.  So far, I've noticed that Baneblade seems to vehemently hate anything I like.

As far as I know, I've never said anything bad against PS:Torment (which happens to be my favorite CRPG).

I don't actually HATE anything (except maybe uptight religions people), And if I recall correctly I have on couple occations agreed with you....

... then again it's not quite the same thing, is it.

1. Torment's story did rock.

2. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a classic.

3. The Harry Potter books would be considered "Classics".

1. Except for the end, yes it did.

2. Nope.

3. you'll never catch me reading that crap.

It all comes down to personal taste, my favorite fantasy/Sci-fi writers are->

Arthur C. Clarke

David Zindell

Isaac Asimov

Robert A. Heinlein

Robert Shea

Terry Pratchett

Though i prefer to read non-fiction.

There's really no point to argue tastes...

"Never tickle a sleeping dragon ~ alma mater"

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

Robert A. Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit - Will Travel" and "Red Planet" are what I consider his best, and is possibly the best writer in that group that you said.

Heh, I don't read the Harry Potter books (not anymore, at least. They seem to be getting a bit worse as time goes on, and the fact that J.K sold out (the movies) makes it worse), but they're adored by a lot of people. Classics are not something that individual people decide, it's a matter of advertising and general appeal. (if it's following the classic myth that is shown in Greek Mythology and Star Wars OT)

Fnord.

Robert A. Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit - Will Travel" and "Red Planet" are what I consider his best, and is possibly the best writer in that group that you said.

Those are directed for youth audience.

my personal favorites are->

"Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Time Enough for Love"

"The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" was also quite good.

Heh, I don't read the Harry Potter books (not anymore, at least. They seem to be getting a bit worse as time goes on, and the fact that J.K sold out (the movies) makes it worse), but they're adored by a lot of people. Classics are not something that individual people decide, it's a matter of advertising and general appeal. (if it's following the classic myth that is shown in Greek Mythology and Star Wars OT)

:blink:

So it your opinion, Britney Spears produces classics ?

Harry Potter getting worse? :blink:

Ever since the prisoneer of Azkaban It only got better! More intrigues, deeper storyline and the story gets way darker than it was in the first two books.

ahh Hitchhiker wasn't very well advertised! it's more like a cult than a classic .. still a great and extremely funny story imo! but classic, no that's for the epic literature..

and of the greatest authors (in my complete personal opinion disregarding everything I've learned about classical literature):

Oscar Wilde

Fortune favors the bald.

Those are directed for youth audience.

my personal favorites are->

"Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Time Enough for Love"

"The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" was also quite good.

Hah, maybe so, but I've always been fond of classic adventure. Heinlein was originally a writer for the youth, and who's saying that liking youth books is "bad"? Just look at the general populace. Youth adventure books following the classic adventure myth (as seen in ANH) is very well loved.

Alas, my copy of "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls" is missing.

Is, by your meaning, the Amber books for kids? What defines a youth book - A book without sex, drugs, swearing, and rock and roll? :wacko:

So it your opinion, Britney Spears produces classics ?

To some people, but not to me. In my opinion, Brittany Spears produces junk.

And to me the HP books are getting worse because of the movies. JK said once that she was trying to get kids to read - and why read when you can watch a horrible movie?

Fnord.

Hah, maybe so, but I've always been fond of classic adventure. Heinlein was originally a writer for the youth, and who's saying that liking youth books is "bad"? Just look at the general populace. Youth adventure books following the classic adventure myth (as seen in ANH) is very well loved.

Writing stories of high quality to youths is like throwing pearls to swines.

Alas, my copy of "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls" is missing.

Sorry to hear that.

My advice...

Don't borrow your books.

oh, if you just misplaced it then my advice is kinda pointless.

Is, by your meaning, the Amber books for kids? What defines a youth book - A book without sex, drugs, swearing, and rock and roll?  :lol:

I find Zelazny's work to be a bit boring, Amber was a nice idea but the books weren't very good.

Most of the books I read have no Sex, Drugs, Foul language or musical references of any kind. (them being non-fiction)

NOT that there's anything wrong with Sex or Rock'n'Roll.

To some people, but not to me. In my opinion, Brittany Spears produces junk.

:) , :- , ;)

Good to know you have some sense in you, maybe all is not lost with world's youth.

And to me the HP books are getting worse because of the movies. JK said once that she was trying to get kids to read - and why read when you can watch a horrible movie?

Re-read my first reply on this post.

Mind you, I don't consider Harry potter books high quality literature.

They are, without a doubt, simply written and fairly predictable. Of course, I still read them; why not?

My favorite book still stands as "The Power of One", followed by the "Sandman" series. Also by Neil Gaiman (and Terry Pratchett) is "Good Omens", a mockery of the Apocalypse. Great fun to read, and written intelligently.

I didn't like "The Da Vinci Code" or "Angels and Demons", though my grandmother did. The characters were predicable and cardboard-thin, as was the plot itself, and I did not appreciate the writing style.

My favorite book still stands as "The Power of One", followed by the "Sandman" series. Also by Neil Gaiman (and Terry Pratchett) is "Good Omens", a mockery of the Apocalypse. Great fun to read, and written intelligently.

You forgot "American Gods" which is the best, er, only, Gaiman book I've read other than the Sandman comics.

Fnord.

well i's ain't inot all that fancy schmancy book learnin' like ya'll are but if you ever read one o dem books on tape. they is quite interesssin might i suggest go dog go. i aint to good at rememerin stuffs so i doesn't rememer the authers name.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

well i's ain't inot all that fancy schmancy book learnin' like ya'll are but if you ever read one o dem books on tape.  they is quite interesssin might i suggest go dog go.  i aint to good at rememerin stuffs so i doesn't rememer the authers name.

Umm, go for "hop on pop" (some good quality reading), star.

Fnord.