dan brown

GarethCarrots

I've only read the da vinci code. I thought it was quite a compelling piece of writing, but at the same time the effects its had on some people has been kinda humorous. If you want to find out about credibility, check out www.skeptic.com

they have a pretty good review of the book there...(just don't read it if you don't want hte book spoiled for you)

I think The Da Vinci Code is an awful book, with one dimensional characters and a plot twist that made me cringe when I first read it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The Da Vinci Code was a fairly good read. It started out strong, with an intriguing plot, but as the above poster mentioned, the characters were painfully flat and uninteresting. However, the idea of the story is novel and creative (especially of the hidden clues)... It's far from being historically accurate, but it's a good book to kill time with (that is, if you have too much of it).

If you liked this book, you should probably want to try out Brown's other novel Angels and Demons, which, albeit a little less well known, is a slightly better read (though the ideas are strikingly similar)...

yeah im reading digital fortress at the moment, not really far enough in to pass judgement. this whole thread stems from a discussion i had with my former science teacher, i attend a catholic school but am not catholic myself, whereas my science teacher is a physicist and catholic, a mix i thought somewhat unusual. neways im constantly challenging his beliefs, not to be contrary but out of genuine interest. having read the da vinci code it seemed like perfect ammunition, so i got a full magazine and charged into lesson. to my immense embaressment it turned out that he had done in depth research on many historical books, and had taken particular interest in this particular book. he went on to disprove many of the points i brought up. for example the last supper, which supposedly has a picture of mary magdalene, well according to some painting analysist hu had stripped it all down etc all the people on the picture could be women, that is just the nature of people from wherever jesus was blah blah.

sorry to of rambled i was just quite shocked that such an good novel and such a convincing novel full of 'facts' was actually full of fabrication, in hinesight the biggest clue is the lack of a bibliography.....

Heh. Don't read Da Vinci Code.

I'm a big reader of books, and not very critical, but the guy barely did his research. He overdescribes (and some of his description is, when you think about it, not accurate.) and the twist about as obvious as the twist in KOTOR 1.

Plus he didn't do all of his research on the Knights Templar and made a lot of stuff up. <_< Bet he didn't expect a medieval buff to read his book.

The only reedeeming quality of the book is that he did his research when it came to some aspects. But there's a lot of just plain dumb stuff like:

Mary M. being the holy grail. I'm sorry, Dan Brown, but the holy grail is the cup that Jesus drank from and said "this is my blood". . .etc, etc.

The best grail story is still Indy Jones. Sorry, Dan Brown. You lose.

Edit: If you want a good read, read The Original Illuminatus Trilogy. Only if you're 18+, of course.

Fnord.

I liked Code, Angels and Demons, Digital fortress.

I agree, he does sound extremely convincing...then you go out and say some stuf he says and get ur self wrecked by a historian, :(

Also, the falling- into -the- river- out -of -a -chopper bit was lame in Demons.

I believe that Baneblade also said that Torment's story was awful.  So far, I've noticed that Baneblade seems to vehemently hate anything I like.

Mmm. It all just depends on the person, I suppose. Some people just don't like things. Others do.

Torment's story did rock. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a classic. A classic doesn't have to be depressing or stupid. It just has to be loved by millions. The Harry Potter books would be considered "Classics".

The millions also say that they're doing a HHG movie. I've heard that a rapper is playing Ford. Hopefully, just a rumor. :(

Fnord.

Arthur Dent has been cast by some rather popular British actor from "The Office", which made people happy.

I'm reserving judgement. I haven't even watched the teaser trailer. I'm terrified of hating the movie.

I have been warned that this movie is quite different from the books, but the books were quite different from the radio show. However, I have been assured that the majority of the changes came from Douglas Adam's original script.

For instance, Zaphod's second head isn't on his shoulder. Don't ask me.

The important thing is not the details. It's the style.

The BBC show didn't feel right for me. I hope the movie captures Adams style, but I doubt any movie can. Saying that the answer is 42 is not funny in and of itself. It was the narrative and the humorous asides. It was the irreverant way that he looked at everything. The Hitchhiker's Universe needs to be viewed from that angle.

The movie is based off a script that Douglas Adams wrote before he died.

In my mind, a classic is determined by both popularity and it's ability to stand the test of time.  Harry Potter may actually meet both criteria.

though it will have to be a lot longer before they are shown to stand the test of time as well as lLOTR and HHGG

the radio show is very different from the book and alot shorter of course... I have it in mp3 format .. but I've misplaced my books! dammit ..

so I can't remember how it was in the book! except for some of the small stories that was added..

Fortune favors the bald.