Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Icewind Dale II

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4994 posts
I would have loved the option to side with the Crimeon (sp?) Legion .. I mean why shouldn't all the freaks of the forgotten realms have their own nation??

but nothing beats the narrator of IWD!

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6480 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would have loved the option to side with the Crimeon (sp?) Legion .. I mean why shouldn't all the freaks of the forgotten realms have their own nation??

but nothing beats the narrator of IWD!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

David Ogden Stiers?

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The Fallout narrator, Ron Perlman wins.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
The severed hand in incewind dale 2 was great, it was the only good area in the second and third maps of the game.

Eclecticist

Eclecticist

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
I've played through the first two thirds of IWD and IWD2 countless times, but never beaten them. I plan to next year in a few multiplayer sessions.

mr insomniac

mr insomniac

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

So IWD/HOW/ToTL remains the dungeon crawl Champ IMHO!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! :)

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

The Fallout narrator, Ron Perlman wins.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ALWAYS :D

Dalmir "The Dark"

Dalmir "The Dark"

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 354 posts
I found both IWD & IWDII to be lackluster compared to the Baldur's Gate series and Planescape: Torment.

I did like being able to create a whole party from scratch, but I really missed the interparty banter present in BG & PS:T.

Ross_Witchen

Ross_Witchen

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts
At Insane difficulty, if you want to powerplay it, its a easy game:

Just keep 6 spellusers at lvl 2 untill you reach the Big Bridge, then lvl up to the max (lvl 30), then stand behind 6 high lvl super-undead till the end of the game. Those undead are mean sucka's. Let them kill the endless monsters in game, while your invisible characters stay back and prune their fingernails.

Game was a closet fight kinda, and sometimes game would grab your characters and walk them face to face to bad guys for a conversation...then a fight...whether you liked it or not (something I disapproved of).

No real spoilers here..so I posted no warning. But its worth playing once.

Treat the game seriously tho, since the game is out to get your characters killed big time. Theres no occasions to smell the roses...unless the area is secure. But...then all you'll smell is rotting enemy corpses.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

I've played through the first two thirds of IWD and IWD2 countless times, but never beaten them. I plan to next year in a few multiplayer sessions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Icewind Dale is worth playing to the end. After that, just enter the heart of winter campaign, but dont play it, go straight to trials of the luremaster. There are reasons for this. Trials of the luremaster is a very good campaign(although short), and it is challenging if you are at low levels. Thus it is better if you play totl before playing through heart of winter. If you play heart of winter first, you will level a lot and will not be challenged by totl. Heart of winter has excellent graphics(the best looking areas of any ie game, by FAR), and the story is also very, very good. Unfortunately, the atmosphere sucks, and the combat is all mindless hack and slash, and requires none of the tactics that icewind dale did.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
Icewind dale 2 is worth playing until you complete the first map. After that, the only good point is when you get to the last area of the game, which is the severed hand, which is excellently designed. However, I dont think it is worth wading through the whole crappy second and third maps of the game just to enjoy the severed hand at the end.

Eclecticist

Eclecticist

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
I got to the Severed Hand in IWD2 twice, Dragon's Eye time-warp place once, and the goblin fortress several times. In IWD1 I don't think I ever went past that Ice Dungeon place with the trolls nearby...the place you can just walk straight across and skip an entire chapter. Chapter 5 or 6 or something.

've played through the first two thirds of these games so many times it isn't funny, and as any experienced IE gamer will know, once you've got the combat system down nothing is a challenge so it makes it even harder to commit to going the whole nine yards.

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts

I got to the Severed Hand in IWD2 twice, Dragon's Eye time-warp place once, and the goblin fortress several times. In IWD1 I don't think I ever went past that Ice Dungeon place with the trolls nearby...the place you can just walk straight across and skip an entire chapter. Chapter 5 or 6 or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, too bad. Lower Dornís Deep has some great graphics and is where the story really picks up momentum. You get to fight all the badass bosses (some very good epic fights) and find out whoís behind it all. The best part of IWD, imo. I find the last quarter of IWD to be the best part (Oh, except I found the final battle to be lame). You should have continued.

And I agree with Roshan. Even though Trial of the Luremaster isnít an official expansion, I still found it to be the best expansion of all the ie games, including the BG ones (TOB sucked). A great little side story and adventure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users