Best MMORPG?

Guest Surlent

Guild Wars, yes it has similarities with Diablo, but it's IMO fun dungeon crawl with a group of people.

No monthly fee and good graphics makes it worth considering buying that thing.

It actually has some sort of game progression even if the plot isn't that great.

It's dumb that MMOs require monthly fee anyway. No FPS game with mp requires fee. Most RTS games like Warcraft3 don't require either.

Maybe the money is going into covering server maintaining, but they should instead find ways tp allow people make their own servers to play the game.

MMORPGs are great revenue generators. First you sell people whats basicly just a game engine, then you supply them with servers and say "its YOU who create the game" so they will accept your ridiculously high fee. Its surprising that they havent gone pay to play in the FPS world yet.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I never really thought too much about the profit aspect, but just to put it in perspective:

WoW sold 240,000 copies in 24 hours (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/569/569851p1.html), if just those users stay on for 1 month @ $15 that's 3.6 million per/month.

I work for a company which creates online courses for various trades. We have now 82 servers in an offsite datacenter running all the online content we have. Our yearly cost is just under 1.1 million, plus salaries and such to run those courses.

That's a ton of cash per month to be hauling in ... makes that $15 I'm shelling out p/month seem a bit less resonable. I would love to see those internal numbers for Blizzard. I know they started with 40 servers and expanded to over 80 now, but they still have to making a pretty decent profit on all this.

Well, I went to a press conference sort-of-thing for World of Warcraft before it was released (and I have this really cool sweatshirt with a WoW logo on the chest to prove it!) and they kind of explained where all the money is going (although at that point they hadn't decided the amount for the monthly fee yet). Basically they've built this gigantic network of servers (with the help of the swedish company Telia), hired a ton of people (GM's.. Game Masters?) and devoted a huge cast of programmers, designers and artists to constantly upgrade the world with new quests, items, monsters and areas. Also, they have support personnel for all major languages, and even Sweden might get a swedish support team! For me personally, the 15$ per month is too much to pay for one game, but it is wrong to claim that those fees are going directly into Blizzard's pockets.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Alot of MMORPG's provide free trials. You can get the client for free, and try the game out for 2 weeks, or a month for free.

So saying that you're being forced to pay $50 and then pay a monthly fee isn't always true.

And to boot, the monthly fee is reasonable because you constantly get new content as they update the servers, make new bug fixes, etc. The monthly fees also cover bandwidth.

We live in a capitalist system. Companies exist to make profit. I like it that way. That works both ways, though. If a company charages too much money, then they will see a decilne in demand. Some companies will provide games at a standard $50-60 price and then we'll be happy. ...But you can't begrudge a company for making money.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hades seems like he can begrudge people for trying to make a profit.

Then again, very few things in this world are as frustrating as not having money. I hope he finds a good job.

I once got bored and played Runescape for a week or so. It's a free MMORPG in Java that will run on any machine, has no real requirements to speak of, and is actually more fun than guildwars. However, the graphics are a joke.

Itd be fine if it worked that way but sadly its usually about companies doing their best to trick or force us into buying low quality products at overly inflated prices.

..I should probably add that above scenario is more of a Micro$ thingie than a Blizzard thingie.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I wouldn't know about the BEST MMORPG because I refuse to pass that kind of judgment on something I've never played...

But I can, without a doubt, state which is the WORST MMORPG. Yes, worse than Star Wars Galaxies. In fact, this game is probably the worst game in the entire history of the world. It's worse than State of Emergency. It's worse than Deer Hunter 10.

FINAL FANTASY XI

Final Fantasy XI is one of the most party-based MMORPGs in the market right now. Oh wait, scratch that, FFXI is one of the most party-INHIBITIVE MMORPGs in the market right now. For a game that forces you to work with other people in order to do *any* sort of progression, it sure does do a great job of making you want to kill said other people, curl up into a little ball and live the rest of your life as a hermit, isolated from the outside world, severed of all contact from the bad nasty wicked men.

The game pigeonholes you into having at least one member of one single class, multiplied by four. You can predict at least half of the composition of 90% of all parties currently active in the game. WHM/BLM/RDM/PLD. This means that all of the other classes will probably spend a large majority (hours) of their game time doing nothing but sitting in town sending tells looking for groups. Hell, even the characters who are in the

I have to admit, that post made me laugh. I'm sorry the game sucked so bad for you, but I appreciate your candid post. Even more, I appreciate getting to hear about your experiences. You've really convinced me when it comes to FF XI. I'm not planning on doing the MMORPG after I finish the last story arc in CoH. If I do, I'll be sure to give FFXI wide berth.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I pity the people who'll spend a year or two of their time and over 500$ for WoW. Blizzard will, in all its wisdom, ruin the game with their arrogance. Taking a look at Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2, I have no faith in their decision making and balancing. All the better if they dont screw it up, now that they have the added money incentive, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

Guildwars.  No monthly fee.

Yup yup.

I don't care about profit.  I care about getting my money's worth out of a game I buy.  That's not going to happen with MMORPGs.

Yup yup... part 2.

It's finally happened....Darque's turned into an Ewok. :)

Now all you need to do is gyrate up & down, waving your stick in the air shouting, "Me hate non-female gamers"

Darque a.k.a Ms. 'Yup yup' ---> ewok.jpg

^_^

manthing2.jpg