Best MMORPG?

I've only played Endless Ages, Project Entropia, There, Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft, and since WoW is the only MMORPG that's even given me the slightest notion of fun, I'll gladly vote for it. It even gave me lots of fun at one point (while playing the closed beta), but I will never pay monthly fees to play a game. Not even for a game as good as World of Warcraft.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I agree level grinding was mostly tedius and slow, but early on in UOs lifetime before all the patches and stuff the thief class was the greatest. You could steal from other players, and even if they catch you, just run off screen and hide. Then wip out the good old disguise kit and a new set of cloths and approach the same sorry fool and he would never know you were the thief. He'd usually ask me if I'd seen so and so and I'd just steal from him again. And if he no longer had anything of value I'd play along and ethier point him to nowhere in particular or start shouting anti-thief slurs to gain his trust.

City of Heroes is an awesome game. I never feel like I'm grinding when I play. I am, however, quite worried about finishing the entire thing before the real grind starts again in January. My character, Eldara, is level 33 now, just a bit short of 34.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Having only logged time in UO, EQ and now WoW, I would definitely say without doubt it's WoW.

Although I never really clicked with Blizzard's other titles, they've hit upon something with WoW. It captures more of a single player RPG flavor with the way its questing system is laid out. Yet when I want to group up, it's a blast as well. Much much better than UO in that respect, esp. since I'm none too keen on PvP.

If anyone's on the Feathermoon realm, look up a dwarf paladin named Glenfiddich.

So WoW it is? How much do you have to pay a month?

That's the only issue I have right now as it's $15, first month is free. Although I'm addicted as much as I was to BGII, I'll have to see how long I'll sitck with it. My first pass with UO lasted just over a year. But when I went back to it, as well as my brief stint with EQ, I only lasted a wee bit longer than a month. Both of those got fairly repetative fairly quickly. So far WoW seems like it might hold my interest for at least a few months.

BTW, the coolest thing so far is hopping on a gryphon ride, flying over the countryside as you watch all the action below. Well that, and seeing a bunch of dwarves with guns.

Just on a visual level I think lineage 2 looks amazing. I am hoping nwn2 will look just about the same on a quality scale.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I played Dark Age of Camelot on and off for a couple of years. It's really a whole different way of gaming. You have to really keep an eye on whether or not you're having fun with it -- sounds odd, but it's true that it becomes a bit like a job. Or kind of like filming a movie with lots of hanging around waiting for things to come together so something can happen. The people who enjoy MMORPG's the most, I think, are those who enjoy chatting with people during the downtimes, or while grinding away at levels.

DAoC had the advantage of real player v. player (i.e. realm vs. realm) three-cornered battle. And once they got going, they were indeed a lot of fun. The questing and level grind were not always fun. They were in the beginning when it was a goal in itself and people actually role played their characters some. More recently, people are moving through the leveling as fast as possible and new players are kind of wondering how to get into the game.

I have heard WoW is more fun for the PvE aspect, but PvP is not much to write home about. I'm not going to check it out as I just don't want to spend that kind of time any more. Even as a somewhat casual player, I probably played 10 hours a week or so -- a lot. The fee does not seem that bad, especially for the people who play a whole lot, it becomes pennies per hour.

When you're into it, the thought of playing a single-player game doesn't appeal much because it doesn't seem to *count* somehow. But, eventually, you get disgusted with yourself and snap out of it.

I am fooling around with the open beta for the Japanese server of DAoC, but that is mostly just to see if it's a good way to practice my Japanese.

Guild Wars has got to be one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. Best MMORPG? Not even close, made moreso by the fact that Guild Wars isn't even a MMORPG - it's a CORPG, straight from the devs' mouth. I'm actually surprised people on this forum would recommend it. Guild Wars is basically Diablo III. Not only that, but it's a dumbed down version of Diablo III, with combat more akin to Dungeon Siege than anything else. Sure, I had fun playing it initially during the free weekend, but by the end of that weekend I had stopped playing. It was just pointless hack 'n slash coupled with Quake-style arena combat. That'd be fine - after all I did enjoy Diablo II - if Guild Wars had any semblance of a good combat system. But it doesn't, or at least it didn't when I last played it recently. In essence, Guild Wars' combat system consists of pressing one of 7 or so keys that represent your skills, of which you can only have 7 active during any dungeon crawl/arena combat/etc, over and over again - since your mana regenerates so fast you'll basically be using them every other attack. Given this, how much excitement do you presume is really involved in Guild Wars combat? Add to this the mercenaries they allow you to hire that basically do all the work for you, and you basically have online Dungeon Siege.

Guild Wars has great graphics. And it has the so-called "free of charge" play. If those are the things you look for in a game, be my guest. But if you're looking for any amount of depth in gameplay, it's my opinion that Guild Wars simply doesn't offer it.

Best MMORPG at the moment? World of Warcraft. Pros: talent-based character development, fun quests, difficult dungeon crawls, and the potential for a very dynamic world (though Blizzard has yet to realize that potential). Cons: At times immature community, limited longevity.

There are doors

I think it was mkreku that recommended it to me .. but "A Tale in The Desert" is the only MMORPG I've ever enjoyed playing .. and when "Seed - The Human Condition" comes out that'll be my favorite! hopefully .. :-

Fortune favors the bald.

Zenslinger's pretty much on about the PvP not so good right now. The PvE is the best I've seen to date in an MMORPG. Although I've stated that I'm not much of a PvPer, the enhancements Blizzard are looking to add do seem interesting: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/battlegrounds.html

I never quite put the "job" feel and playing an MMORPG together at the time, but now that I think about it, it does remind me of the old UO days quite a bit. Have yet to experience it WoW, but then again its only been a few weeks.

Sorry, but I refuse to pay a monthly fee for a game I already bought just to play it.

Completely understand, esp. when you shell out 50 bucks for the software. I wish these companies would just provide a free download of the core program, then charge the monthly fee.

If it wasn't for the lack of interesting RPG titles out there, I probably never would have gotten sucked in again .... DOH!

Ive never played a MMORPG and I never will

...but I know what the job feeling is about. I was lured into playing The Sims2 and spent a frightening amount of hours on it just going for the "Ive just got to make shure the husband gets his promotion so I can buy that other house and.."

Then I went away for a few days and when I came back I couldnt understand why I had played the game. It gave me nothing and had no point, I wasnt even having fun.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "