Kotor VS TSL

After playing both, which is ur fav?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. After playing both, which is ur fav?

• Knights Of The Old Republic
    • Knights Of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
    • I can't decide ........ yet
    • I like them the same

Question: Without any of the bugs, the inclusion of the HK Factory, and a better ending, would K2 be on par with K1?

im wondering if people would considering it on part or better even if only the bugs were fixed.

realistically, the bugs are the only factual evidence people can use as to why the game isnt up to par with kotor1. people cant really use storyline as proof, since storyline is all about opinion.

so im curious to see how many people would actually be praising the game if they were able to play through relatively bug free.

So seeing people standing around, and doing nothing constitutes a solid cut scene movie?  KOTOR:1 had no real ending to speak of.

Once the bad guy was defeated, you don't discover anything new.  There is no epilogue.  And the dark side movie shows Bastilla there after you kill her.  Some ending.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I seriously don't understand what is good about the KOTOR ending.

It's not the greatest ending ever, but it's heads above KOTOR 2's ending. At least in the first game, you were shown something, and there was some feeling of closer to that chapter of your character.

The end to KOTOR 2 leaves you with a "where's the rest" feeling.

Though I haven't actually played TSL, I voted that they where the same so I could view the results.

Much to my surprise I find KotOR I and KotOR II neck and neck..... Now I really want to play TSL!!!

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

I really don't think that there is a contest here and can't believe that they are this close! KotOR broke the mold... is was so good that everything else in comparison bites HUGE.

That is not to say that Sith Lords is a bad game. It's a good game... just good. It did make some fun improvements over KotOr. I like the whole influence thing. It brings the whole RP experience up a notch. I like the the colors for the sabers... enjoy the extra upgrades... and like the idea of creating items. THe story was a good one. The NPCs were interesting.

Where did Sith Lords fall below KotOR?

The graphics just can't hold a candle to KotOR. (Keep in mind that I played KotOR on PC.) THere were times in KotOR that I would just "look" around at the beautiful scenery. I even went so far as to say, "I wonder if I can get a better look at the beach if I find an over look up in the hills?" or "If I go and stand at the edge of the platform there, I can get a great look at the supports in the trees!" :D

The storyline (along with the great big old twist) in KotOR was super fantastic fabulous squee-licous and it was tighter than my sisters purse strings... stingy little... person. :-" Poor Sith Lords feels like is was slapped together with scotch tape and bubble gum. It's an interesting premise.. a hole in the force.. but I ran around and did things and wasn't even sure why I was doing them. :huh:

The NPCs could have been deeper. I would've liked to have deeper conversations with them... even after gaining all the influence and getting to the end of their convo trees, I still felt that I had questions. In KotOR, I felt that I KNEW everyone. :wub:

And the ending just plain sucked beans... HUGE. I hate a game that just sets me up for another game. :p

Ok....lemme try steer this thread back. Brace yourselves, this might be a big post.

--------------------

Well, I voted for the original KOTOR...but not by much. Now, I'll try and backup my reasoning with evidence instead of just saying "Numbah 1 wuz better". But I'll also point out the pro's and con's of both games from my point of view.

KOTOR

The original KOTOR broke the mold of console RPG's. The fact that you could choose the Light or Dark was a novel idea and the freedom of choosing your side was excellent. The storyline of the original was unique and held a lot of plottwists that blew (or hopefully blew) your mind. Relatively bug free, the story flowed rather smoothly and gameplay was transitionally easy. The bad side of KOTOR was the conflicting of interests (a DS character side-by-side with Carth for example). How could a goody-goody side with a bada**? Another thing was the extreme lack of variety for the NPC's...talk to the NPC's and you'll know what I'm talking about.

PROS: Storyline (Transition and Execution). Innovative combat. Wide variety of conversation.

CONS: Conflict of Interests. Lack of variety.

THE SITH LORDS (TSL)

The second installment, IMHO, pushed the combat system into a whole new area. I loved the fact that you could change your weaponry ingame instead of having to jump into that menu screen. The influence factor changing your companions totally fixed the conflict of interest that the first game didn't cover. The customizability of weaponry and armor was a big improvement. Dialogue options are expanded and new ways to converse with your team and other NPC's grow depending on what attributes you develop. Storywise, it is much more mature than the original KOTOR. It actually makes you think and doubt whether or not the Jedi are right for the universe.

The game brings up constant examples of how the Jedi screw things up, even with their best intentions. But, it also makes you question whether the Sith are just as good for the galaxy. I loved the fact that the story questioned you constantly about the "righteousness" of the Jedi, or the brutality of the Sith..

Unfortunately, the game itself is full of bugs. Unfinished sidequests, broken dialogue trees, choppy story transition are all part of this game. Most important for me, the story itself suffers under the weight of all the missing sidequests, rough transitions, etc.

PROS: Vastly improved combat system, Influencing your pawn...er...party members, mature storyline.

CONS: Missing sidequests, bugs, choppy storyline.

--------------------

I'm not commenting on the ending just because I've realized (after watching Empire Strikes Back), The Sith Lords is the second installment of a trilogy. The story of TSL is good, IMO, simply because it questions the morality of the Jedi and the Sith. In a weird way, I am reminded of Jolee Bindo in this game. However, the missing sidequests, broken/looping dialogue is troubling and worse of all, the storyline itself (its transition and delivery) is harmed.

I would say that if you played KOTOR, you should play Sith Lords...but just expect a heck of a lot of questionable execution.

(Oh, I really liked Darth Sion...and yes, I understood him COMPLETELY)

Its sad that its even this close. TSL SHOULD be higher then KOTOR but it isn't. That just goes to show how lousy of a sequel TSL was.

Make a thread like this for Halo vs Halo 2 and see what the response is. Make a thread like this for GTA: VS and GTA: SA and see what the response is. Make a thread like this for Metroid Prime vs Metroid Prime 2 and see what the response is. Make a thread like this for NFSU vs NFSU2 and see what the response is.

See where I'm headed?

If I were a Obsidian employee I would be ashamed that KOTOR is getting just as many votes as TSL.

Its not a good thing for this poll to be this close.

But for Bioware this is a HUGE complement.

Its sad that its even this close. TSL SHOULD be higher then KOTOR but it isn't. That just goes to show how lousy of a sequel TSL was.

Make a thread like this for Halo vs Halo 2 and see what the response is. Make a thread like this for GTA: VS and GTA: SA and see what the response is. Make a thread like this for Metroid Prime vs Metroid Prime 2 and see what the response is. Make a thread like this for NFSU vs NFSU2 and see what the response is.

See where I'm headed?

If I were a Obsidian employee I would be ashamed that KOTOR is getting just as many votes as TSL.

Its not a good thing for this poll to be this close.

But for Bioware this is a HUGE complement.

not that i necessarily disagree that kotor is better than tsl, but how exactly is anything you posted "proof" that tsl isnt a good sequel? since when does it being equal (in terms of total votes) imply "bad sequel"?

not that i necessarily disagree that kotor is better than tsl, but how exactly is anything you posted "proof" that tsl isnt a good sequel?  since when does it being equal (in terms of total votes) imply "bad sequel"?

Especially since expectations usually are higher for a sequel. A sequel will often face an uphill struggle in comparison to the original. Goes for Kotor, Fallout, BG, you name it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein