Holy Crap...sucks to be in Southern Asia.

Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Now the toll is up to 11,300

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Now the death toll has reached 22,000... And it's only a rough underestimation of all the casualties. From what I've heard, this is the fifth most powerful earthquake ever recorded - the tsunamis it caused were about 10 meters high (that's about 4 to 5 stories in height).

My deepest condolence to those living in the region... Though I live quite nearby the Pacific Rim of Fire, my country has been fortunate enough not to be affected by the earthquake... Terrible...

I guess there is some advantage in living in Iowa.

And West Virginia

Another follow-up. Death toll has risen over 44,000 as more bodies are recovered. Also the quake was powerful enough to shift islands about by 20 to 30 meters and strong enough to give the earth an orbital wobble according to some scientists. Man, sn't that scarey.

These parts have high amounts of tourists. For example 1500 Swedish turists are missing.

When it comes to earthquakes and tsunamis, there is possibility to issue warnings. I read in a paper today, that there could have been a warning, but some guys (don't ask me who) decided that creating panic would have been negative for the tourist industry.

:thumbsup:

but thousands upon thousands dead, hurt and missing inhabitants and tourists, with too little food and no papers that can help them to get home... That bound to be a REAL boost for their tourist industry...

Good work. :angry:

These parts have high amounts of tourists. For example 1500 Swedish turists are missing.

Really that many? I think there are 5 Dutch tourists missing. Which reminds me of the hypcrisy of the news channel: they shortly mentioned 12000 deaths and then talked 5 minutes about "our" tourist who were missing. <_<

Really that many? I think there are 5 Dutch tourists missing.

Yep, there are three tourist companies who are missing around 500 tourists each. One of them is "Fritidsresor" who had over 1000 tourists around the place, and have located 490 or something like that.

Missing doesn't have to mean that they are dead. Some people are trying to get out of there on their own. And don't give a damn in informing the companies. When they hear of the missing people who somehow managed to get to the capitol, they just check them off the list.

Sri Lanka, Tailand and so forth are very popular places for Swedes.

Which reminds me of the hypcrisy of the news channel: they shortly mentioned 12000 deaths and then talked 5 minutes about "our" tourist who were missing.

There are 8 Swedes confirmed dead. The first day I heard about the situation, first they spoke of 10,000 dead people, then went on about 4 dead Swedes. While it's terrible for the family's of the 4 dead Swedes, it must be a lot worse for those down there who lost everything! not only family members...

On one side 44,000 dead and the people who survived lost everything.... on the other 1500 missing who when found can go home and continue their normal lives... Yeah.. I know what is more scary...

I am sure than it is not the first time that an earthquake has caused an orbital wobble. It is just the first time we humans have actually been able to notice it. Think of the 9.0 that has happened in the past. I am sure they cause more than their share of orbital shifting.

I am sure than it is not the first time that an earthquake has caused an orbital wobble.  It is just the first time we humans have actually been able to notice it.  Think of the 9.0 that has happened in the past.  I am sure they cause more than their share of orbital shifting.

And when the earth shifts enough, armageddon has arrived. The earth will lose its balance and turn 90 degrees. The poles will melt and the sea level rises 60 metres. Complete continents will be covered in ice or under water. The human race will be almost gone....

And it is quite possible something like that will happen sometimes.