Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HL2 Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've had no problem with Steam. You also get different/better packages on Steam.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts

Hear the cries of the pirates =p

If you had the slightest idea what you are talking about you dumbass, you would know that it is actually *easier* to play a cracked/pirated copy of HL2 than a original one, if only because you don't depend on Steam to validate/decript/activate your game. With all their anti-piracy measures, an illegal working copy of HL2 was reported to be around about two days after release. So much for uber security measures.

Next time you might consider growing some brains and getting a clue before you call someone a thief. :blink:

I've had no problem with Steam.  You also get different/better packages on Steam.

Different, yes. Better, not at all. The fees are the same. Unless you are interested in getting the craptacular Half-Life: Source or a special T-shirt, the packages offered through steam are worthless.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I want to replay Half Life in Source.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts
Well, don't say I didn't warn you. I would recommend you read some reviews about it first, before you waste your money.

Llyranor

Llyranor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6812 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Day of Defeat: Source > u

Jumjalum

Jumjalum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 574 posts
Valve have either shot themselves in the foot with the whole Steam thing, or they've ushered in a new age of unweildy and restrictive gaming. One of the things I liked about Half-Life was that you didnt need a CD to run it and it loaded fast, something which benefitted the online community immeasurably. They even took out the loading screens. :blink: HL2 really takes too long to load.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
People forget how old Half Life is. When it first came out, it really pushed the envelope of technology. The original Half Life engine loads fast on most machines, but it's a six year old game.

Tayl

Tayl

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 84 posts
Steam works perfectly for me. Only problem I have had was with the SDK. When they released their new update for it they changed the directory system, so I had to move some folders and files around to get everything to compile correctly. Other than that it's been golden. I like the updates, they save me some hassle. Registering it took about an hour, but I did try and do it at 10 AM on the day it was out, so I forgive them for that. I like it. I like how everything is intregrated into one client. I would buy other products through Steam without hesitation.

Just out of curiosity and not as an insult to anyone, but does anyone have any kind of concrete number on how many people have legitimate problems with Steam? By this I mean problems that are definitely Steam's fault and not something that could be fixed on the user's machine or connection. I have absolutely no intention of trying to say anyone in this thread is guilty of this as I have no prior knowledge of what happened to them, but I've read a lot of the threads on the Steam forums and most of the 'problems' are client-side and not Steam's fault. Stuff like dialup taking forever and other user related things. There are minor mistakes that seem to crop up, and I'm definitely not saying Steam/HL2 is perfect or without bugs and glitches, but...I've personally seen two people's machines that were having Steam problems(i.e. Steam not loading right, system crashes, weird memory issues, etc) and both of them turned out to be because they had not taken very good care of their systems. Lots of spyware and in one case viruses along with weird graphic driver versions. I was able to get Steam working perfectly on both of their machines by resolving these issues. In the case of dialup, well...I don't know what people expect with dialup. It's slow. Of course the updates are gonna take a long time to download. Just turn off auto-updates. Then all you will have to worry about is Steam updates. *shrugs*

I suppose the counterargument to what I have been saying is that your machine shouldn't have to be well-taken care of in order to run the game, and that other games don't care if you have problems with your machine. Another counterargument is that it automates everything so you are 'forced' to download updates for all the games and this is bad for people on dialup. But that can be turned off, so if you have dialup just turn auto-updates off! And the CD checks for retail and offline mode bugs have been fixed(according to the patch readmes, at least). I take good care of my machine and HL2 runs perfectly. I'm just wondering how many of the problems could be taken care of simply by making sure your machine is in great condition and optimized before trying to play.

Once again(because I know that despite my overall calm tone and saying that I didn't mean this as an insult someone is gonna take it personally), I am not saying this about anyone in this thread. For all I know everyone who has ever had a Steam problem had an immaculately clean machine and it's all Steam's fault. I'm just going by what I have seen. Steam seems to work on most people's machines in my experiences, and all of the problems I have personally seen have been user issues. Is Steam perfect? Of course not. Is it as bad as some people try to make it out? I don't think so, based on my experiences.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I never see you post on these forums. You should come around more often. Most of the time, you're the voice of reason over at The Fall's forums.

Tayl

Tayl

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 84 posts
You know that? I think I will. TF's forums have died off on the english side, they won't pick up until the english version is announced. I check these forums daily, but I only post when something really gets me interested. I should make more of an effort here. <_<

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I lurk there because I'm active on too many forums.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts

I suppose the counterargument to what I have been saying is that your machine shouldn't have to be well-taken care of in order to run the game, and that other games don't care if you have problems with your machine. Another counterargument is that it automates everything so you are 'forced' to download updates for all the games and this is bad for people on dialup. But that can be turned off, so if you have dialup just turn auto-updates off! And the CD checks for retail and offline mode bugs have been fixed(according to the patch readmes, at least). I take good care of my machine and HL2 runs perfectly. I'm just wondering how many of the problems could be taken care of simply by making sure your machine is in great condition and optimized before trying to play.

Cool! You just made my points for me. :thumbsup:

Now, seriously. I haven't had serious/stopping problems with Steam. I just don't like to be forced to use it *after* having paid my $50 for it, just like any other game. I don't like Steam popping up and complaining that I don't have a connection to the Internet as soon as I reboot my computer. I really, really hate to be forced to have an Internet connection to play an offline game. It's preposterous, really.

And the reason behind all this is...? Greed. It all comes down to it. Greed on Gabe Newell's part, his desire to screw VU after all that lawsuit business, and his paranoia after Valve's intranet was hacked are what drove them to develop and implement Steam.
I automatically have a tendency to hate anything that is designed upon greed. That's probably not a very rational argument, but I'm not always very rational.

You know that? I think I will. TF's forums have died off on the english side, they won't pick up until the english version is announced. I check these forums daily, but I only post when something really gets me interested. I should make more of an effort here.  <_<

Yeah, you sounded familiar. You are a moderator there aren't you? I used to skim those boards for news but now that the game is finally out I'm not that interested anymore.

Azazis

Azazis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
213374U <--- *cry*

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts

213374U <--- *cry*

Azazis <--- *troll*

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh, quit trying to tell everyone who disagrees with you that they're a troll. Just because you think what you write is clever doesn't mean that the majority of folks agree. In fact, the majority of the folks on this board don't write anything, so how would we know?

On the other hand, I dislike Steam on principle. I have my doubts that it hurts the pirates nearly as much as it inconveniences me, the legitimate customer. Furthermore, piracy still seems to flourish. Now, I suppose that it might end up taking a dent out piracy. I hope it does. ...But I don't like it now and I'm starting to wonder what will happen in the future. The bottom line, however, is that the software companies should be careful before they assume that they can continue to encroach upon the privacy of the legitimate consumer. You never know what will happen when a great mass of folks feel abused. Right now, I doubt that's the case. For example, I'm willing to put up with steam... for now.

Let's just see how far they decide to push this business. If it gets bad enough that the legislators meddle with it, then it will be a complete mess for everyone.

Tayl

Tayl

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 84 posts

Cool! You just made my points for me.  :)

Now, seriously. I haven't had serious/stopping problems with Steam. I just don't like to be forced to use it *after* having paid my $50 for it, just like any other game. I don't like Steam popping up and complaining that I don't have a connection to the Internet as soon as I reboot my computer. I really, really hate to be forced to have an Internet connection to play an offline game. It's preposterous, really.

Well, my answer to that one is that the offline problem has been fixed as far as I know. It doesn't bug you anymore and it lets you play offline indefinitely. From what I've read on the Steam forums, that particular issue seems to have been fixed. I can't argue about being forced to do it in the first place, though, since you make a completely valid point. I'll also readily admit that I don't play in offline mode so I can't say for sure if the fix actually works, so I'll just let that one lie and concede the point. :)

One thing I can argue: You can remove Steam from your system startup. I did that immediately and it never popped up without direct action on my part. You can also turn game updates off so you don't have to automatically download patches when they come out.

And the reason behind all this is...? Greed. It all comes down to it. Greed on Gabe Newell's part, his desire to screw VU after all that lawsuit business, and his paranoia after Valve's intranet was hacked are what drove them to develop and implement Steam.
I automatically have a tendency to hate anything that is designed upon greed. That's probably not a very rational argument, but I'm not always very rational.

On the greed point: Um...yep. I can't really argue that. But I don't see how this is any different than any other game. Do you think Carmack doesn't want to make assloads of money? Everyone that makes a game wants to make a critically acclaimed blockbuster. For me I view HL2 as a fantastic game, so I don't hold it against Valve or Newell for wanting to make money. It's their job, it's undestandable to me. On the second point: Wait, I thought Steam was in development before the hacking thing? Wasn't the hacking incident in late August/early september? And wasn't the game supposed to be released in September? I don't profess to being an expert on the history of Valve, but I always thought Steam was something that was out even before HL2 was supposed to be out and used for CS and stuff like that. I looked back at old news sources..Steam was out way before the hacking incident, unless I totally misread the news articles. :)

I'm not trying to be a smartass or convince people to love Steam or anything. I just think it is one of those things people are overreacting about. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. If you just don't like the idea of it, then more power to you. That's a completely valid point that I won't argue. But the general hostility towards Steam baffles me sometimes and drives me to post. :D

Yeah, you sounded familiar. You are a moderator there aren't you? I used to skim those boards for news but now that the game is finally out I'm not that interested anymore.

Yep, I mod over there. Although there's not much to moderate at the moment. It'll pick up once the english release is announced. I'm not as excited about the game as I used to be, but I have talked to German players who have it and they say it's at least worth a purchase for people who like post-apoc stuff. At least most of the bugs will be worked out for the english release. *shrugs*

EDIT: Eeep, posted while I was writing my response. In response to Eldar: good point. If things like Steam start popping up and encroach more and more on the privacy of their users it will be a bad thing. I just don't think that's something I need to worry about. I might be too laid back for my own good here, but until I start seeing concrete problems related to privacy associated with Steam I just can't get worried about it. Maybe that's just me, though. :)

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts

Oh, quit trying to tell everyone who disagrees with you that they're a troll.  Just because you think what you write is clever doesn't mean that the majority of folks agree.  In fact, the majority of the folks on this board don't write anything, so how would we know?

So, you think that accusing people of piracy without proof and posting thrash like 'Guy x <--- cry' is actually useful for anything outside provoking? Because that's precisely what a troll does.
It's pretty hypocritical of you to say that because I never call people a troll when they are honest about their opinions, whatever they may be.

You have a problem with that, well, you can take full advantage of the 'ignore' feature of the forum.

A pity you screwed an otherwise good post by adding that part.

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts
Now c'mon people, for god sake stop arguing. Before you know it there is a flamewar/discussion with words like "hypocrisy", "arrogance" and "ignorance" and all. That freaks me out... :ph34r:

Tayl

Tayl

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 84 posts

Now c'mon people, for god sake stop arguing. Before you know it there is a flamewar/discussion with words like "hypocrisy", "arrogance" and "ignorance" and all. That freaks me out... :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...213374U and I are having a nice civil discussion so far. But the day is still young. :D

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...213374U and I are having a nice civil discussion so far. But the day is still young. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, actually I meant 213374U and Eldar. You two are doing great, keep up the good work :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users