HL2 Problems

Darth Reven

Nope,not a pirated version bought it at target yesterday. Has gordon freeman on the cover.

You should email Valve telling them of your problem. It would be nice if you let them know the incredible amount of ass Steam sucks, too. Maybe next time they will think twice before trying to authenticate personally evey f*cking copy of HL2.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hmm. . .When I started up my game, I had no trouble. (Just installed it a while ago today and it took bloody forever.) Did you make sure it's correct, there are no spaces, and that you put the little dashes in?

Fnord.

As I recall, I had some extra characters I eroneously thought I needed to include. I finally figured out what I was doing, but it was a pain.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

........do you think STEAM has become self-aware?

You mean like SHODAN?

Now that would be cool!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I finally uninstalled that sorry peace of crap last week. I will *NEVER* purchase another game that requires you to have STEAM. I don't care how *good* the game supposedly is, it ain't worth the hassle of fighting with STEAM... Period.

HL2, for me, has been nothing but a ripoff...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

I finally uninstalled that sorry peace of crap last week. I will *NEVER* purchase another game that requires you to have STEAM. I don't care how *good* the game supposedly is, it ain't worth the hassle of fighting with STEAM... Period.

Uh, did you actually manage to uninstall it? I had to delete it manually, because after uninstalling HL2, then Steam, the Valve folder would still be about 5 Gb. Neat stuff, this Steam, huh?

Anyway, If some other developer ever thinks of something like Steam, I don't think they will be very forthcoming about it.

That makes um... well, a whole lot of us.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Steam works like a dream for me. Ultra-fast acquisition of Valve games, too. Steam is the way forward. Go digital distribution go!

Sure, ultra-fast acquisition of Valve games, at the same freaking price they are sold at the shop. Only you are forced to waste your bandwidth downloading it, and are subject to data losses, corruption, system malfunctions and other pleasantries. Greed above all things.

On the other hand, the advantages are... um... eh, well there must be some, I'm sure. :shifty:

Yeah, digital distribution is the way to go. To hell, that is.

Uh, did you actually manage to uninstall it? I had to delete it manually, because after uninstalling HL2, then Steam, the Valve folder would still be about 5 Gb. Neat stuff, this Steam, huh?

Anyway, If some other developer ever thinks of something like Steam, I don't think they will be very forthcoming about it.

That makes um... well, a whole lot of us.

Yup, manually hunted that sucker down & *Slayed it*, folder by folder...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

Steam works like a dream for me. Ultra-fast acquisition of Valve games, too. Steam is the way forward. Go digital distribution go!

Son,

If you really truly believe that crap, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell you cheap...

Son,

If you really truly believe that crap, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell you cheap...

Steam has also worked great for me, maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't had a single problem with purchasing, authentication, patching and playing through steam. That I was able to start playing the game three minutes after it was activated for the world was pretty sweet. I also believe that digital distribution is the way to go.

I've had nothing but problems with HL2 & STEAM. I purchased my copy retail at Sam Goody on the day of release, waited 5 hours on my dialup to get confirmation. Then waited another 14 hours for verification so I could play the damned thing. As I don't have the connection for MP, all I want from it is offline mode. Every two weeks or so, I get a message that it's "not available in offline mode", then I have to go back up on STEAM, login & update ( about a five hour process ) just to play the damn thing offline. Selecting Properties & saving the game data onto disc doesn't work. Re-installing the game doesn't work. So I finally said to hell with Gabe Newell, Valve, & STEAM and uninstalled the damned thing. No Valve game will pollute my HD until such time as STEAM is no more & you can install it like a normal piece of software. Screw 'em...

Hear the cries of the pirates =p

If you had the slightest idea what you are talking about you dumbass, you would know that it is actually *easier* to play a cracked/pirated copy of HL2 than a original one, if only because you don't depend on Steam to validate/decript/activate your game. With all their anti-piracy measures, an illegal working copy of HL2 was reported to be around about two days after release. So much for uber security measures.

Next time you might consider growing some brains and getting a clue before you call someone a thief. :blink:

I've had no problem with Steam.  You also get different/better packages on Steam.

Different, yes. Better, not at all. The fees are the same. Unless you are interested in getting the craptacular Half-Life: Source or a special T-shirt, the packages offered through steam are worthless.