Have people been expecting too much out of KOTOR2?

As we all know, North American XBoxers now have KOTOR2. Many of them, in there own personnel reviews of KOTOR2, have either given totally negative reviews of KOTOR2 (I'm waiting for yours Hades_One, in Feb), or more commonly, reviews that are good, but heavy on negative points.

My question is, did they expect too much?

Considering that the original won over 40 GOTY awards, and is perhaps one of the greatest RPGs and StarWards games ever, would KOTOR2 ever have beate it in any way. I honestly do not think so. IMO the original will always be the best. I never expected KOTOR2 to beat KOTOR, but the people who reviewed it on these forums, might have expected the sequel to thrash the original. Is that too high an expectation, or did Obsidian simply not live up to reasonable expectations due to time constrictions?

Your thoughts, if you please.

For the devs to promise a story better than the first, you bet I was let down.

Think Chris Avellone shot that 'quote' down. I remember him becoming panicky when he heard someone say that, as he never intended to claim anything of the sort.

And I'm with the people who loved the game....up until the end. Both times I've played I was thinking 'God, this game is great.' Up until the end, I would have easily rated KOTOR II as equal to or above KOTOR. On my second playthrough (as a Sith) I was astonished at the improvement in the Dark Side game, and wondering why I walked away so bitter towards the game the first time.

But about the time

the Sith show up again

, it kinda starts going downhill. By

Malachor V

, I'm feeling empty, and by the end I (like drcloak) walk away feeling literally depressed and with very little good to say about the game. The same thing happened both times.

The game didn't have an Ending; it just ended.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Think Chris Avellone shot that 'quote' down. I remember him becoming panicky when he heard someone say that, as he never intended to claim anything of the sort.

And I'm with the people who loved the game....up until the end. Both times I've played I was thinking 'God, this game is great.' Up until the end, I would have easily rated KOTOR II as equal to or above KOTOR. On my second playthrough (as a Sith) I was astonished at the improvement in the Dark Side game, and wondering why I walked away so bitter towards the game the first time.

But about the time

the Sith show up again

, it kinda starts going downhill. By

Malachor V

, I'm feeling empty, and by the end I (like drcloak) walk away feeling literally depressed and with very little good to say about the game. The same thing happened both times.

The game didn't have an Ending; it just ended.

Amen to that. :lol:

But makes you sad, doesn't it? ;)

manthing2.jpg

All the reported bugs aside, I don't think wanting the game to have an ending or balancing enemies to be more challenging (Especially bosses) was too much to ask. Frankly I feel they delievered below the potential of what the rest of the game was shaping up to be.

I don't think anyone was truly expecting KotOR 2 to be revolutionary, they just expected a similar experience to the original and to feel they accomplished something or had their efforts for 50 hours pay off, both for the story and for the PC they created. Since that didn't happen, many were left disappointed.

It's a shame but it's the way many people feel about it. I'm sure KotOR 2 is still a great game, it's just a game that leaves a sour taste in your mouth when you finish it. Like me, for some that's enough to damage or even ruin the experience and enjoyment of the other 48 hours of play.

My two cents.

That never happened

After my first play through, after the ending sequence, I was actually depressed. Literally depressed and unfulfilled.

- dr cloak

Kinda like the ending of Empire. We'll see, havn't played it myself

There are no swoop upgrades? I clearly remember someone at Obsidian saying there would be swoop upgrades this time around.. :(

Sorry, no swoop upgrades.

And Santa is dead.

Sorry, no swoop upgrades.

And Santa is dead.

I was about to get upset, but then I remembered the funny-smelling Santa that stumbled into our living room just a few hours ago. He had his beard on backwards and his breath could kill small pets, but he was there!

So I'm assuming swoop upgrades are in there too and you're just being mean.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

'Mean' is such a harsh word. I prefer 'sadistic.' :(

And, not to be a humbug or anything, but alas, there really are no swoop upgrades. Why, I don't know. :geek:

On the other hand, the Swoop game is much more involved now. Many more hazards, and even a repulsorlift thingy which lets you jump obstacles.

On the other hand, the Swoop game is much more involved now. Many more hazards, and even a repulsorlift thingy which lets you jump obstacles.

Sounds cool. :(

-merry christmas everyone-

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.